2020 CX-5 brake grinding sound

Hello,

I have a 2020 cx5 GT that I brought on Monday and yesterday leaving work I came to a low speed stop, 25/30 miles per hour, and I heard and felt grinding in my front brakes. This happened at every low speed stop till I entered the freeway.

Let me also mention that I had a different 2020 cx5 GT last week that I took back for service that did the exact same thing. I hadn't signed papers on that car yet so I told them to give me a different car since the service technician said he had no idea why the brakes were making that sound and suggested they could lightly resurface the brakes.

I don't know what to do now? Take this car back for service again? Wait and see? Is this a common issue?

I would first drive it a little bit. Do some stops. Even stop medium-hard a few times. Could very well be just a little surface corrosion or maybe even a corrosion prevention coating on the rotors.

How far did you drive before hearing/feeling the grinding?
Did it rain while it was parked?

How far did you drive before hearing/feeling the grinding?
Did it rain while it was parked?
Exactly ... surface corrosion begins on the cast iron rotors shortly after parking.
When driving off after the car sits for a time, a "pop" as brake pads release from the rotor and/or a grinding sound for the first stop or two is common.

If it occurs after several stops, it may indeed need to be checked.

There is an TSB with the rear brakes grinding, due to the rear brake pads not having the capability to remove the rust from the rear brake discs on CX-3,CX-5,CX-9 and Mazda6, although you mention yours is in the front, so this might not apply, but good to check.

Attachments

• Grinding noise from rear brakes.pdf
    403.9 KB · Views: 393
There is an TSB with the rear brakes grinding, due to the rear brake pads not having the capability to remove the rust from the rear brake discs on CX-3,CX-5,CX-9 and Mazda6, although you mention yours is in the front, so this might not apply, but good to check.
Nice find. This just released TSB 04-007/20 covers all CX-5’s from 2016 MY to 2020 with EPB. I wonder if this new and harder OEM rear disk pads KBY6-26-48Z mentioned in the TSB would supersede the regular OEM rear pads KAY0-26-48Z?

subject: GRINDING NOISE FROM REAR BRAKES
Bulletin No.: 04-007/20
Last Issued: 10/12/2020

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles equipped with electric parking brake (EPB) may exhibit a grinding noise from the rear brakes when braking. This may be caused by the rear brake pads not having the capability to remove the rust from the rear brake discs. The red rust accumulated on the discs is exposed to high temperatures during braking, and consequently the rust turns black. As the black rust is too hard to be removed by the brake pads, the rust progress is accelerated, resulting in the grinding noise.
To eliminate this concern, the brake pad material has been changed in order to improve the rust-removing capability.

They shouldn't have stopped with 2020 for the TSB. My new 2021 CX-5 does exactly the same thing. My 2001 Honda does this also, but it's 22 years old! So far, I'm pretty disappointed with my CX-5 for an ever increasing number of issues over less than 800 miles. Sad.

Back