2019 GTR (Turbo) Oil Dilution

:
Mazda CX-5 GTR
I've got a 2019 GTR with Turbo. I bought the car in November of last year and noticed that I definitely have some oil dilution going on. I only have about 6500 miles on it and got the first oil change around 4800 miles. I noticed the issue soon after I bought the car, when I checked the oil and the level was about 1/4 inch above the full mark on the dipstick. I also noticed the smell of gas in the oil. I did, however, think at the time that they may have slightly overfilled the engine when they received the car or at the factory. Well, I got the oil changed last month and checked the level right after the oil change. It was dead perfect on the top fill mark on the dipstick and no gas smell at all. Today, about 2300 miles later, the level is back to 1/4 inch above the top mark and a gas smell again. I don't think there is any way to rationalize that away. There is some oil dilution happening. I know that isn't uncommon for DGI Turbo engines, but I'm not sure how concerned I should be about it. And I really don't think there is a fix for it...I think some are worse than others and it varies with driving habits. I don't make very short trips...most are about 20 or more minute drives and the engine always gets to normal operating temperature for at least 10 minutes before I shut it off. Anybody have any thoughts, comforting or not?

I recently got my oil analyzed by blackstone lab. They did detect fuel but nothing alarming.
Yeah, I've been reading through this forum and that seems to be the thing to do. I've ordered a test kit from Blackstone to get it checked. It's about the only way to know whether the amount of dilution is something to be concerned about or not. Thanks for replying.

Blackstone Labs testing kit

For those that enjoy the extra level of personal information tracking:

a look at how the analysis works:

Blackstone Labs testing kit

For those that enjoy the extra level of personal information tracking:

a look at how the analysis works:

It's pretty smart that they provide the test kits free of charge and you only pay for the actual oil analysis. Makes things easy and their prices seem very reasonable.

My own oil analysis report:

A fellow CX-9 owner's report (he was experiencing some fuel dilution and the problem turned out to be a leaking fuel injector).

My own oil analysis report:

A fellow CX-9 owner's report (he was experiencing some fuel dilution and the problem turned out to be a leaking fuel injector).
Good info. So it's not necessarily normal to see this issue...if it's excessive, could be a clear mechanical issue like a leaking fuel injector. I guess having the report makes it easier to communicate that to the service department if it is an issue.

Good info. So it's not necessarily normal to see this issue...if it's excessive, could be a clear mechanical issue like a leaking fuel injector. I guess having the report makes it easier to communicate that to the service department if it is an issue.

Yes, I believe that's exactly what the gentleman did. He used the report to prove that there was an oil dilution issue, so the shop investigated it and replaced the faulty injector under warranty.

I think some oil dilution is to be expected, but only in small amounts. Personally, when I do my oil changes, I try to note the oil level after the oil change. Then, right before my next oil change, I check the oil level again. This is a rough indicator that tells me if I'm burning excessive amounts of oil or if I might have an oil dilution problem.

Back