2019 CX-9 Crossbars Recommendations + Install Question

:
TX, USA
:
2019 Mazda CX-9 GT
First post so please go easy.

I have a 2019 CX 9 GT ... I am dabbling with a little woodworking at home at the moment and one of the biggest hurdles is how to get wood back home safely and cleanly from the lumbar yard or home store... would like to be able to transport long pieces of wood or even sheets (e.g. drywall, plywood, foam, etc). I think tying it to the top of my car would work. Problem is... never done it. I know I might need crossbars...

My question is what the some of the crossbars you would recommend? How easy are they to install (i.e. is this something I can do myself or will I have to get dealer/auto shop to do it)?

Any other considerations?

Thanks!

Your GT has the longitudinal rails, so you have the option of the factory cross-bars or aftermarket cross-bars. The factory cross-bar mounting points are only 27" apart, so they might not be the best choice for long items. Aftermarket cross-bars from Yakima or Thule are longer and may have more mounting positions, so those might work better; check the on-line instruction manual before you buy. All have about the same weight limit. Consider buying from an outlet with a great return policy such as REI.

Installation isn't difficult. The factory bars are tedious to install; the screws are in an awkward position.

Your GT has the longitudinal rails, so you have the option of the factory cross-bars or aftermarket cross-bars. The factory cross-bar mounting points are only 27" apart, so they might not be the best choice for long items. Aftermarket cross-bars from Yakima or Thule are longer and may have more mounting positions, so those might work better; check the on-line instruction manual before you buy. All have about the same weight limit. Consider buying from an outlet with a great return policy such as REI.

Installation isn't difficult. The factory bars are tedious to install; the screws are in an awkward position.

Thanks, PTguy! Dang Thule and Yakima are significantly more expensive than OEM ones!

You also need to consider how wide the items are that you want to put on the roof. The oem bars won’t extend past the rails whereas aftermarket can giving you more usable width (but don’t look as clean). My recommendations are these, but they are expensive. https://yakima.com/products/ridgeline-system

That being said. The top of the car isn’t really suitable for drywall (too soft and fragile) and the weight limit is pretty low. This would work for the odd wood piece here and there, but for serious loads you may be better with a hitch and renting a trailer. Home depot and u-haul can rent trailer for about 30$ a day.

Thanks, Youri. Honestly - this will probably be for occasional transport, not for serious loads. I ain't no carpenter and who knows...my interest in woodworking might falter in a few months lol.

The other thing I had noticed was the shark-fin antennae towards the back end of the roof...wonder if there will be enough clearance with the OEM bars...say if I was transporting a sheet of plywood..?

I did notice that the Yakima/Thule ones sit higher so those might be ok...

Latest posts

Back