2019 CX-5 Turbo engine...Bad fuel economy?

I've had my new CX-5 for about 2 months now. Has anyone else experienced poor fuel economy on their new turbo engine? At first I thought it was because of the break in period, but I'm starting to get concerned. My 2019 GT (equivalent to American GTR) is averaging 14L/100km, which is equivalent to ~16.8mpg. This is with 90% city driving in Vancouver, Canada. I'm not an aggressive driver and minimize the use of brakes. I would say 70% of my time driving is during moderate-heavy traffic. Should I call my dealer or is this normal?

Last edited:
Sounds about average to me. We're around 19mpg's with about 70% city. It's actually about 1mpg better than our old 2010 CR-V. What were you driving before and what was it averaging?

I'm averaging apprx. 24 mpg in mostly suburban driving with some bouts of heavy rush hour traffic. On a recent long trip with car fully loaded averaged 31 mpg. This is the same mileage I get in my 16 Touring so I'm not complaining. It's also better than the MPG in the CR-V we replaced with the Reserve.

Sounds about average to me. We're around 19mpg's with about 70% city. It's actually about 1mpg better than our old 2010 CR-V. What were you driving before and what was it averaging?

I was driving a 2014 VW passat, with it averaging about 10 l/100km (23.5 mpg). That car was listed at 9.6L/100km in the city so I got pretty close to what it was advertised as. However, for my CX-5, its listed at 11L/100km so I was concerned because I was pretty far off from what it's advertised as. Also, the average reported by consumers is 9.6L/100KM according to http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/cx-5/2019

rated 22 city. I would not be happy with 16.8. I'm averaging 27MPG on my new GTR with about 3k miles...all rural driving.

Damn, 27mpg... I'd probably get that on pure highway driving if I reset the trip after I've merged with cruise control on... I hope I don't have a lemon.

Damn, 27mpg... I'd probably get that on pure highway driving if I reset the trip after I've merged with cruise control on... I hope I don't have a lemon.

We were over 31 on the hwy. City driving and cold weather make for poor fuel economy. I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. But, of course I'm not. :)

Is your commuting at all similar to the OP's? I seem to remember you claiming 20k something miles, in like half a year.

Best to keep it relevant.

My commute used to be super similar back when I had my 2015. Work was about 1.8mi away, and the vehicle never even got to temp in t he winter, typically. I didn't sit in grid-lock though. I averaged low 20's. Also, when I went to San Antonio, my mpg wasn't much affected in the CX5 GTR.

I've had my new CX-5 for about 2 months now. Has anyone else experienced poor fuel economy on their new turbo engine? At first I thought it was because of the break in period, but I'm starting to get concerned. My 2019 GT (equivalent to American GTR) is averaging 14L/100km, which is equivalent to ~16.8mpg. This is with 90% city driving in Vancouver, Canada. I'm not an aggressive driver and minimize the use of brakes. I would say 70% of my time driving is during moderate-heavy traffic. Should I call my dealer or is this normal?

Just wondering, are you calculating by hand, or going by the trip computer on the display?

The question is how long of trips are these city commutes? If you are 90% city driving with a short commute where the engine doesn't warm all the way up, then that MPG would be expected.

16.8 seems abnormally low, even with a pretty heavy foot. If you're driving conservatively, you should easily be in the low 20's. I'm 80-90% highway with lots of traffic and run 28 - 28.5 on every single tankful.

I have a GTR and i feel like the fuel economy isn't that great either.

Granted 80-90% of my car usage is a daily commute to work and back (7 miles each way) in stop and go traffic.

I avg about 16-17 mpg.

This past weekend i drove on the highway (right after filling up the tank to full) with about 1 hr drive each way cruising at 70 mph and the best i could get was 23.5 mpg.

I understand the extremely short driving distance coupled with the stop n go plus the fact that the engine hasn't warmed up.

However, the mpg seems way too low.

16.8 seems abnormally low, even with a pretty heavy foot. If you're driving conservatively, you should easily be in the low 20's. I'm 80-90% highway with lots of traffic and run 28 - 28.5 on every single tankful.

If you're sitting at 5 lights for a minute each during your 2 mile commute, you will not come close to low 20's. I can understand how those that have 80-90% Hwy commutes can't comprehend this, though. In my Lexus, I went from a 25 mile commute, averaging ~26 mpg's, to about 14 when it became a 2 mile commute to the train station. This is just how it is. If it bothered me, I would get a hybrid, or full electric.

This past weekend i drove on the highway (right after filling up the tank to full) with about 1 hr drive each way cruising at 70 mph and the best i could get was 23.5 mpg.

Assuming you reset the average, or refueled immediately upon returning and hand calculated, I would say that is low. Ours that is averaging below 20 was able to hit 30 on a trip we took over the summer.

Assuming you reset the average, or refueled immediately upon returning and hand calculated, I would say that is low. Ours that is averaging below 20 was able to hit 30 on a trip we took over the summer.

I reset the average before filling up the tank.

Even on highways, the numbers are bad.

My GTR is averaging about 2 mpg lower than my 2014 CX5 touring or about 26 mpg of urban easy driving. I found that the easy way to get lower mileage is to not drive smoothly and using the power often. There is some technique to using turbo power in an efficient manner. Ed

Back