2019 CX-5 signature / Mazda Roadside Assistance story (long)

I bet a big part of it is the car sensing that you are making steering inputs at all.
It's similar to what happens with Lane Keep Assist. If you take your hands off the wheel after it has responded, it will complain at you. It will not let you ping pong in your lane.
The idea that it would require the driver to hold the wheel in a specific way is ridiculous.

Interesting! That's the first I have heard of that. And the main justification is to prevent injury from airbags... ironic.

We should have two polls: 10 & 2, or 8 & 4? And "push up" or "pull down" steering?

My votes: 10 & 2, and I usually pull down, but not always.

Remember spinners?!! You can still get them!

Interesting! That's the first I have heard of that. And the main justification is to prevent injury from airbags... ironic.

We should have two polls: 10 & 2, or 8 & 4? And "push up" or "pull down" steering?

I'm usually at 9/3 since that's a naturally comfortable place for my hands on the 2011 Mazda3. I didn't read the details enough to see the difference between push up/pull down steering, I guess I'm usually pull down? Its such second nature at this point I can't really tell you.

If the airbag cover lifts up I could potentially see it hitting the hands if they're high up (closer to 11/1), or if the arms are positioned a certain way maybe it impedes the airbag. But I don't see it being a major factor over things like distance to airbag to begin with or wearing a seatbelt/proper headrest positioning.

9 and 3, push. This is taught at all performance driving courses I am aware of.

9 and 3, push. This is taught at all performance driving courses I am aware of.

Of course that yields the most control, both hands working together, and that's where my hands wind up when I drive hard, just above the crossbars. But what I'm wondering is what people do when they're just driving casually. I definitely use hand over hand in town, but I remember my dad always preferred hand to hand.

I'm curious about what the performance courses teach. Is "push" like push into the wheel [kinda like counter steering on a bike (and of course it has nothing to do with that)], or push up in the direction you want to go? Or is it what the nhtsa article calls hand to hand or push/pull?

Anyway, does anyone keep their hands low, as recommended in those articles? Seems like it would yield the least control.

I thought you were going to say that the car you were trying to start turned out to be someone else's who happened to have left theirs unlocked (burnout)

Dealer update:

False alarms on the Attentive Driving Control (no hands on steering wheel) alert.
Update: Per dealer, sensor that monitors this expects hands to be in 10-2 driving position (i figured )
Well sometimes (longer trips) I drive with hands at 5 and 7 or just 7 - ADC doesnt always like this .
Anyone else run into this?
Dealer is checking if this setting can be disabled. Really annoying, happens a few times/week.
I agree with the others, it's a load of dealer BS.
There are no sensors in the steering wheel to check to see where your hands are. The car has no idea where you are holding the wheel.
It can sense that there is no input from you if you remove your hands though.
I tried this twice, and both times when my car started to drift off line, it came up with the message.
It has never given me that message when I'm holding the wheel, regardless of position.
I have also turned off the lane keep assist (too intrusive and annoying), which may also be tied into that message you got. Try disabling it.

Dealer is checking if this setting can be disabled. Really annoying, happens a few times/week.

According to page 4-162 of the OEM regarding the Lane-keep Assist System (LAS) & Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS): *The steering operation assist for the LAS & LDWS can be changed to non-operational (OFF). Refer to Setting Change (Personalization Features) on page 9-12. When the steering operation assist has been changed to inoperable (OFF), only the lane departure warning is operational.* Also, there is an LAS & LDWS OFF switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel (p. 4-162).
P. 4-161 says: The following settings for the LAS & LDWS can be changed. Refer to Personalization Features on page 9-12: Steering operation assist operational/non-operational and Cancel sensitivity (likelihood of steering assist)

Of course that yields the most control, both hands working together, and that's where my hands wind up when I drive hard, just above the crossbars. But what I'm wondering is what people do when they're just driving casually. I definitely use hand over hand in town, but I remember my dad always preferred hand to hand.

I'm curious about what the performance courses teach. Is "push" like push into the wheel [kinda like counter steering on a bike (and of course it has nothing to do with that)], or push up in the direction you want to go? Or is it what the nhtsa article calls hand to hand or push/pull?

Anyway, does anyone keep their hands low, as recommended in those articles? Seems like it would yield the least control.

I was taught to brace with feet and knees (after "tying into the belt" of course, which Japanese cars I am familiar with don't allow, American ones do, GM and Dodge in the Viper/Vette/Challenger, for sure). You then push with the hand opposite the direction you are trying to go. They did not cover whether or not you push INTO the wheel, or into and "up/over", but common sense and ergonomics will likely dictate that. Keep in mind, this was for cars capable of pulling 1.3+ g combined, in corners. In a CX5, it's probably not necessary, lol!

I actually get this a couple of times a week, but usually when I'm only holding the steering wheel with one hand at 8 really lightly. I grip the steering wheel firmly and it goes away. It makes me think it's actually working correctly.

Back