2019 CX-5 GT Annoying Noise

At around 3000 miles on the odometer, I noticed an unusual noise that can only be heard when in the driver’s position. It starts at just under ten miles per hour and can be heard at any speed above that. It will change in intensity, depending upon the road surface. It almost disappears when driving on new blacktop. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a noise you would hear if you were lightly drumming your fingers on a large coffee can cover when the can is empty. I thought it might be a suspension noise, but I just had a complete inspection done on the front suspension and wheels. I just rotated the tires (Toyo) at 5000 miles and the noise didn’t change any after that. My current thinking is that it might be a vibration of something under the hood. It’s amazing how loose most of the panels and covers are in the engine compartment, because everything is fastened using plastic clips instead of screws. I’d also like to note that I had a loaner vehicle for an afternoon while mine was being serviced, a new CX-5 with about 1500 miles on, and I thought I heard the same noise while driving it. Has anyone else had experience with a noise issue that matches what I’ve described? Any thoughts on the loose panels under the hood, or maybe even an air intake noise that might sound like what I’ve described. It’s so annoying that I can hear it even if I have the volume up on the sound system to try and mask it. The CX-5 is an awesome vehicle, but this problem is really frustrating.

I've heard that sound a few times but never been able to reproduce when I wanted to. I'm at 3500 miles on 2019 Sig in California.

Since you don't hear it on smooth blacktop, are you sure it's not the sound of the tires? I hear the tread noise vary depending on the road surface, and I hear it all the time to one degree or another. This despite how quiet these cars are relative to so many others.

Since you don't hear it on smooth blacktop, are you sure it's not the sound of the tires? I hear the tread noise vary depending on the road surface, and I hear it all the time to one degree or another. This despite how quiet these cars are relative to so many others.

I have about 4,500 miles on mine and just noticed significant tread noise on a stretch of road yesterday for the first time. But that's a constant whine or hum, not fingers drumming on a coffee can lid.

A week or two ago, I had my car on a stretch of road that was so washboarded I turned around and went back...it was really beating me up, even creeping along. I've heard no rattles from my car after that, and if there was anything not buttoned down tightly, that excursion would certainly have shaken it loose. But they're all different.

ARW: I wonder if you rolled down the window when this noise starts if you can tell if it's coming from the tires or not. And what do you mean, you can only hear it from the driver's position? Are you saying that passengers cannot hear it? Have you sat in the passenger seat while someone else drives to confirm this?

Update. I finally gave up on the Toyo tires and bought Continentals. Huge difference in handling and control. Plus, the Continentals don’t collect every small stone in the treads like the Toyos did. As to the noise. It’s still apparent. So, not the tires. At 18000 miles, there are times when it can nearly drive me insane, yet, a few minutes later it’s almost gone. I’m now wondering if it’s the plastic sleeves on the rear shock struts. If I hit them, the noise is similar coming from the wheel well. Needless to say, this is difficult to replicate when driving. Does anyone else have this issue now? It’s still loudest with the Windows up and seems to be coming from the lower rear of the CX and most apparent by the driver’s side window. Another thing is that the wheel well linings are held in and together by plastic pressure clips and could potentially be vibrating? It’s the only issue we’ve had with the vehicle in the two plus years of ownership.

Update. It appears that the noise I've been putting up with since the vehicle had about 3K miles on it may be the rear shock dust shields rattling against the shocks. See the attached video clip. Now, to convince the dealer that this is an issue.

Attachments

• Dust Shield.JPG
    Dust Shield.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Dust Shield Rattle_Trim.mp4
    9.5 MB
Huh, how bout that. Could you put a bungee cord or shoe lace or something to hold them still and take it for a drive to prove your theory?

Huh, how bout that. Could you put a bungee cord or shoe lace or something to hold them still and take it for a drive to prove your theory?
Thinking about trying a piece of foam or the like. Want to talk with the service manager before I try that though. Hate to see something get stuck up there if I hit a big bump in the road....

Back