2019 CX-5 Diesel

The dealers buy the cars. Eventually, they'll have to give them away (figuratively speaking).

Gas is king in the U.S. and Gulf countries, and diesel is more expensive than regular gasoline in the U.S. The vehicle had to deliver outstanding MPG and it didn't. The TDI was able to do so by cheating. There's no 2020 diesel CX-5 listed on the Mazda Build and Price. I'm pretty sure it will be a 1 year only model in the U.S.

There's no 2020 diesel CX-5 listed on the Mazda Build and Price. I'm pretty sure it will be a 1 year only model in the U.S.

There's a reference on their website somewhere that the diesel in a "Future car." I, too, noticed that the CX-5 diesel had no 2020 model.

Add this debacle to the CD rocker arm/programming issue and the cracked blocks some have reported experiencing, and you gotta wonder how Toyota's liking that 5% position they took in Mazda's stock. The Japanese look at things in terms of decades--not quarters--but you gotta be cash-positive to get there.

The CX5 diesel will be a one year only, that's what my local Mazda dealer said. They said the diesel hasn't sold very well and Mazda is pulling it from the lineup.

Rest in Peace - CX5 Diesel

There's a reference on their website somewhere that the diesel in a "Future car." I, too, noticed that the CX-5 diesel had no 2020 model.

Add this debacle to the CD rocker arm/programming issue and the cracked blocks some have reported experiencing, and you gotta wonder how Toyota's liking that 5% position they took in Mazda's stock. The Japanese look at things in terms of decades--not quarters--but you gotta be cash-positive to get there.

I've only heard of actual problems with CD on 18s. I will certainly be paying attention on this forum for any issues on 19+ models until my lease is up in August 2022. Glad to have the information on this forum and elsewhere.

Someone is losing money on these cars. I hope it's not the dealers.

Regarding "I pity the fool who purchased early," there's at least one guy here who did. I'd be speaking with Mazda Customer Service. I'd have to figure out what my strategy would be before picking up the phone. If I were a reseller I'd use the old "Not protecting the channel" ploy. End users have less leverage.

Was gonna buy a TV come Superbowl time...but Best Buy price matches if I buy now and price goes down later!

Was gonna buy a TV come Superbowl time...but Best Buy price matches if I buy now and price goes down later!

You know, the two most expensive and most dysfunctional purchases we make are houses and vehicles.

You get more transparency and better service buying a pair of shoes.

My dealer still has the same 4 on their lot that they received last summer. They are only showing a ~$1.5k discount, so it looks like they may never get rid of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't know they didn't have the 2020 Diesel on their page. That's telling.

I wonder when we will start seeing hybrid Mazdas. Also has anyone heard anything new on the Skyactiv-X?

Skyactiv X is not coming to USA anytime soon, over in Europe it is doing pretty good. Same power numbers as 2.5 in a 2.0 config with 20% or more fuel economy. Gas is cheap in the US, same Mitsubishi PHEV outlander goes for top dollar in Europe and is sought after - here dealers have to discount it a lot. Same strategy that Kia / Hyundai are doing -bring really few PHEV / EVs to US and sell them a lot to Europe where fuel is expensive. 6$s a gallon vs 2.25 here in Texas.

Didn't know they didn't have the 2020 Diesel on their page. That's telling.

Here's a shot of the website:

Diesel.jpg

Note "Future Vehicles" at the right.

2020 Mazda6 has 2.5T in GT GT-R and Signature. Not seen or heard about 2020 CX5 if it will have 2.5T under GT trim which I had predicted.

2020 Mazda6 has 2.5T in GT GT-R and Signature. Not seen or heard about 2020 CX5 if it will have 2.5T under GT trim which I had predicted.
If I understand your statement correctly, the 2020 CX-5 GT does not have the turbo.

Here are the other items that differentiate the GT Reserve from the GT:
  • Automatic power folding side mirrors
  • Windshield wiper de-icer
  • 8" full-color touchscreen display
  • Active Driving Display
  • Ventilated front seats (3 levels)
  • Heated rear seats (3 levels)
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Off Road Traction Assist
You can add all of those--except the 8" screen and Off Road Traction Assist--to the GT for $1,625 (GT Premium Package).

Then the GT will be the Reserve (minus the turbo, the 8" screen and the Off Road Traction Assist) for an MSRP of $33,260 vs the Reserve at $35,035...the turbo/8" screen/Off Road Traction Assist represent an upcharge of $1,775. Over 5 years that's $30 per month.

Here's a link to the CX-5 area of Mazda's Build & Price website. All the specs and available options (along with cost) for each trim are available there

Last edited:
My dealer still has the same 4 on their lot that they received last summer. They are only showing a ~$1.5k discount, so it looks like they may never get rid of them.

News Flash! It looks like my dealer has rid itself of their Soul Red CX-5 Diesel. 1 down, 3 to go!

News Flash! It looks like my dealer has rid itself of their Soul Red CX-5 Diesel. 1 down, 3 to go!
Well, how 'bout that!

Maybe you'll see it driving around town.

Or maybe he dumped it in a nearby lake and filed a theft report ;)

I would opt for the gas Signature. The diesel may be cheaper now but I’d be worried about the cost of potential repairs (as well as the extra cost of diesel). You’re going to put 100k miles on that car in five years. Your powertrain warranty will be gone at 3 years. This is a one year only model and parts are going to be a nightmare to source in the US. Service centers aren’t going to be familiar with how to work on the diesel.

Back