2019 CX-5 2.5T Misfire

I tried to give them the answer to the problem, but hey they rather try to spend time to take out injector then to perform a simple compression test, so what can i say? I'm just a nobody right? let the technicians follow their procedures.
They had the engine torn down and didn't want to put it back together without installing the new part, warranty doesn't pay twice for the same work. What happened to the end of the story ?

They had the engine torn down and didn't want to put it back together without installing the new part, warranty doesn't pay twice for the same work. What happened to the end of the story ?
In the end, dealership contact mazda tech line, tech line instructed them to perform dry and wet compression test, and both test showed low compression. They had to ordered new engine, came in after a week, took them 2 days to replace.

I end up trading the vehicle in because i did not want problems down the road.

Couple of reason why i traded it in
1. Fuel mileage was still kinda of bad, maybe ecm needed time to adjust but yea
2. When they ordered new engine, they had to transfer water pump, injectors, turbo, manifold from the old engine, now... theres gaskets on these parts that you are suppose to replace if you took it apart, i know for a fact they did not order any gaskets, its all remove and reinstalled, on the repair order i see parts orderd listed only the block and some bolts for the turbo.

It will prob be ok to reuse, but i feel long term wise its just asking for trouble, initially i was planning to keep the car, so long story short, i bite the bullet, paid the penalty and traded the car in early for another cx5

In the end, dealership contact mazda tech line, tech line instructed them to perform dry and wet compression test, and both test showed low compression. They had to ordered new engine, came in after a week, took them 2 days to replace.

I end up trading the vehicle in because i did not want problems down the road.

Couple of reason why i traded it in
1. Fuel mileage was still kinda of bad, maybe ecm needed time to adjust but yea
2. When they ordered new engine, they had to transfer water pump, injectors, turbo, manifold from the old engine, now... theres gaskets on these parts that you are suppose to replace if you took it apart, i know for a fact they did not order any gaskets, its all remove and reinstalled, on the repair order i see parts orderd listed only the block and some bolts for the turbo.

It will prob be ok to reuse, but i feel long term wise its just asking for trouble, initially i was planning to keep the car, so long story short, i bite the bullet, paid the penalty and traded the car in early for another cx5
I bet the Mazda workshop manual will show those gaskets should be replaced when the tech is doing the component swap. The MNAO should cover those gaskets for the engine swap. It’s the problem from the Mazda dealer you’re dealing with who failed to order those gaskets.

I’d do the same trading the CX-5 in immediately after the engine replacement. And did you get another 2.5T CX-5?

I bet the Mazda workshop manual will show those gaskets should be replaced when the tech is doing the component swap. The MNAO should cover those gaskets for the engine swap. It’s the problem from the Mazda dealer you’re dealing with who failed to order those gaskets.

I’d do the same trading the CX-5 in immediately after the engine replacement. And did you get another 2.5T CX-5?
Yes i did, i got another cx5, i removed everything prior to trade in, both front and rear mudguards, trailer hitch/harness, front hood struts, even all the interior leds i put in lol.

I do like the car, the interior space is on the small side, but it does make up for it with the driving dynamics

Last edited:
Yes i did, i got another cx5, i removed everything prior to trade in, both front and rear mudguards, trailer hitch/harness, front hood struts, even all the interior leds i put in lol.

I do like the car, the interior space is on the small side, but it does make up for it with the driving dynamics
I am still waiting to see pictures of your winter wheel setup!

Wow. I'd be curious EXACTLY what failed.
since both wet and dry compression had the same result, it means the piston rings are ok, the problem lies with the valves, it is not sealing properly, when engine is rotating the piston goes up and down, and intake valves and exhaust valve open and closes depending on which stroke the engine is on.

In theory, if vehicle is out of warranty, you would remove the head of the block, and send it to a machine shop, they will clean and replace all the valves/valve springs and the seals.

Last edited:
since both wet and dry compression had the same result, it means the piston rings are ok, the problem lies with the valves, it is not sealing properly, when engine is rotating the piston goes up and down, and intake valves and exhaust valve open and closes depending on which stroke the engine is on.

In theory, if vehicle is out of warranty, you would remove the head of the block, and send it to a machine shop, they will clean and replace all the valves/valve springs and the seals.
Did you ever try running the hell out of it to see if that fixed it? What is your driving style/distance/etc?

Back