2018 CX-5 Strut Replacement

Had an independent opinion on the picture above and was advised to change the rear shocks since weeping means the shocks are failing and can affect tire wear. Since I just put new tires on, will shop around to find the best price on new shocks. More to come....

Update: Had the rear shocks replaced so as not to cause odd wear on the new tires. Shop said the rears were shot with no lift left and leaking. (poor mazda OEM product). Rear is slightly higher than before now. Ride sees smoother but that could be just the tires.

I was amazed how much prices to replace the rears vary. $515 at private shop, $444 at meineke, and $270 at Mavis. So shop around!

Update: Had the rear shocks replaced so as not to cause odd wear on the new tires. Shop said the rears were shot with no lift left and leaking. (poor mazda OEM product). Rear is slightly higher than before now. Ride sees smoother but that could be just the tires.

I was amazed how much prices to replace the rears vary. $515 at private shop, $444 at meineke, and $270 at Mavis. So shop around!
Was the private shop installing a different brand possibly better product ?

They did not say but that is possible. They gave the estimate via their web site but did not specify the brand they would use.
Yeah hard to say. My mech uses better products than the generics at some of the chain/box auto shops. His labor prices are cheaper but the total bill may be more due to better parts.

Also, even though they were leaking, next time a mech tells you that you need shocks/ struts, do the bounce test. The front/rear end should be hard to push down and not rock up and down after release. Check YouTube videos for visual

Last edited:
Yeah hard to say. My mech uses better products than the generics at some of the chain/box auto shops. His labor prices are cheaper but the total bill may be more due to better parts.

Also, even though they were leaking, next time a mech tells you that you need shocks/ struts, do the bounce test. The front/rear end should be hard to push down and not rock up and down after release. Check YouTube videos for visual
Good to know...thanks!

Latest posts

Back