2018 CX-5 Strut Replacement

I recently bought a used 2018 CX-5 GT with roughly 50k miles. When I bought the car, I knew it needed tires soon, as it still has the original Toyos and there is only about 3mm of tread left. However, my local shop is saying that I also need to replace my struts, as there is oil leaking and the tires have worn unevenly. The shop also tells me that only OEM replacements are available. A few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me answer:
tweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/

1. Does anybody have any experience replacing the strut assembly on a 2018 CX5?
  2. Any way to get the dealer to do this for free (I saw a TSB related to leaking struts)? I'm out of warranty at 50k miles, so am guessing no.
  3. Are there aftermarket options for the strut assembly? Any particularly good options that balance cost with performance?

Last edited:
I would stick with factory struts if you want the factory ride. 50k miles is early for a strut failure so I would recommend contacting Mazda North America to see if they can offer a reduced cost repair at a dealer. They may not be able to help, but it can't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
You need to get a second opinion before blindly following this shop's advice to spend a bunch of $$.

Did you wipe the struts clean and confirm for yourself that they are leaking?

Definitely get a second opinion. Maybe even get the dealer to check them. No way should struts go bad after two years.
If there's oil on them, wipe them clean and see if you can find the source.
I'm not saying your garage would do this, but there have been unscrupulous businesses where they spray oil on the shocks/struts, and then try to sell you on a leak, and new struts/shocks. It's a scam.
Cover all the bases before you give them the go ahead.

50k miles can be enough to wear out shocks and struts, especially if the vehicle was ever abused or overloaded. Remember, it is not the age of the suspension components, but rather how many oscillations have been experienced, and the amplitude of those oscillations.

Last edited:
With a car that new with 50K miles and original tires,it would indicate that it is likely that alot of those miles were highway miles which are the easiest miles one can put on a car.Lower brake,suspension and drivetrain wear.Shouldn't need struts under those conditions.I'd definitely get a second opinion and monitor it myself for leakage.This isn't a safety issue.In your own judgement,how does it ride.Does it lean in turns.Are the tires worn unevenly.If so, maybe just needs alignment and they weren't rotated enough in the past.I'd do this before dumping money.Everybody is trying to get rich these days on your nickel.

Just want to add.My 2014 has 42,000 miles on it and 90% has been around town with lots of stops and turns.The struts are still good and not worn out.Haven't checked for leaks lately but haven't felt a reason.

55k, been off road and loaded heavy a few times, I can feel that mine are somewhat used up compared to driving one with less use.

....Does anybody have any experience replacing the strut assembly on a 2018 CX5?
  1. Any way to get the dealer to do this for free (I saw a TSB related to leaking struts)? I'm out of warranty at 50k miles, so am guessing no.
  2. Are there aftermarket options for the strut assembly? Any particularly good options that balance cost with performance?

Youtube will be your friend for strut replacement (this will get you very close)

Getting the dealer to do work when out of warranty is a combination of kindness, patience and research of the problem. Of course a call to Mazda corporate also might help.

There are PLENTY of aftermarket options for strut assemblies.

OEM parts purchased online are going to be your best overall moderate performance for the money. Mazda engineers know what suits the majority of use cases worldwide.

Past that it will you determining what performance characteristics are important to you and then find a suspension solution to match.

As others have said.. wipe the strut clean.. check back in a couple of days for leaks.

I think I would have a dealer check it too. That sounds way too early for strut failure. If it does need new struts I would get OEM.

I have read that many OEM shocks on Japanese cars are made by KYB. I had some installed on a previous Mazda and they worked well.

I might guess that a leaky shock at 50k mi could be from 'severe service'. Maybe hit a bump (or curb) too fast?

Hey OP, I know you posted this in 2020 but any follow up on this? Did you see if Mazada would cover it? I am in the same situation with my 2018 cx5 but with only 32K miles!

For those above who said 50K is early for shock failure, you are right! Apparently many cx5's left the factory with defective shocks resulting in early leaking!

Hey OP, I know you posted this in 2020 but any follow up on this? Did you see if Mazada would cover it? I am in the same situation with my 2018 cx5 but with only 32K miles!

For those above who said 50K is early for shock failure, you are right! Apparently many cx5's left the factory with defective shocks resulting in early leak
Even when under the warranty period, they left themselves an out. They will check the struts and classify as either seeping or leakage. Seeping they consider natural and won't replace. Leakage had to be pretty bad at which point they'll replace. You could try calling them and see what they say.

Yeah, there is a TSB about that: TSB 02-002/22

How Mazda judges seepage/leakage: TSB 02-004/22
Thanks. From the second TSB on how Mazda judges seepage vs leakage, mine looks like the second "seepage" picture and has NOT seemed to have gotten worse over the last 4K miles. I have an appt with the dealer in 2 wks for an oil change and will see what they say. Thanks for the links!

Update....Had new tires put on today and took a picture of the driver's side rear shock while our CX5 was on the lift. With the tires in the air the oil is more noticeable, but seems to be less than a 1/3 down. Can only see the very lower edge of the oil when the car is on the ground. So, from what you see, would you replace the shocks?? (pic on the lift)

rear shock 2018 cx5 on lift.jpg

Last edited:
Well, to play Mazda Devil's Advocate here, I would say that's "seepage". I'd just monitor it for now.

That does seem to look like the seepage picture on the TSB. I sent the photo over to a friend who is a Service Advisor at a non-Mazda dealership and asked him if he could get some opinions from the mechanics.

Lol. Yeah. Just another way to get out of replacing something under warranty. Wait until hospitals start telling a bleeding person hey insurance won't pay were sending you home..you're just seeping blood. Nothing to worry about. Wait until your gushing blood then come back.

Lol. Yeah. Just another way to get out of replacing something under warranty. Wait until hospitals start telling a bleeding person hey insurance won't pay were sending you home..you're just seeping blood. Nothing to worry about. Wait until your gushing blood then come back.
Ya, good one! But true!

Back