2018 low oil light intermittent? Pressure sensor?

We have a 2018 CX-5 that recently gave me a low oil pressure light. I pulled over and had the car towed back to my house where I checked the oil and found it in between the marks on the dipstick. It wasn't running funny or making any weird noise, no CEL, just the oil pressure light that scared the hell out of me. Because we are enjoying a lack of household income right now, I dumped the oil and filter, all seemed normal, and I rolled the dice and started it up. Sensors don't always do what they are supposed to and it sounded totally fine. It has now been 100 miles or so and it happened again the other day. I turned it off, started back up after a few mins and the light didn't come back on.

Anyone else had issues with the oil pressure sensor or a similar experience?

Oh thank the jesus. I had an accord that did not have two different lights, just one that taught me to stop the engine immediately if you saw it. It is strange that it would come on given what the dipstick said but I'll take that problem over the red light apparently. Thank you for the feedback, much obliged.

Generally speaking, Amber lights are need some attention soon and Red lights are need attention NOW.

Also, if you get a dash light illuminated ... go to your infotainment screen, select "apps" then scroll down to guidance tab and there should be information pertaining to your indicator light and what to do.

How many quarts of oil did you put in when you changed it [insert poking beehive .gif] :ROFLMAO:

My wife has a 2018 Mazda cx5 and I have the same issue. The oil indicator keeps flashing red and I had just changed the oil. I also serviced my car with an authorized Mazda dealer and it is still not fixed.

Do you know what the potential solution could be?

Oh thank the jesus. I had an accord that did not have two different lights, just one that taught me to stop the engine immediately if you saw it. It is strange that it would come on given what the dipstick said but I'll take that problem over the red light apparently. Thank you for the feedback, much obliged.
I believe starting from 2018 CX-5 2.5L with CD, and 2019 CX-5 2.5T turbo, they have both Low Oil Pressure Warning Light and Low Oil Level Warning Light in dash.

Here's the difference between low oil pressure warning light icon and low oil level warning light icon other than red / amber color difference:

attachment.php

View attachment 221577

Your oil level could have been in the boarder line and the sensor still could detect the oil most of time when the oil in the oil pan is sloshing around. If you’d checked oil level in hot or cold with correct method, and the oil level indeed falls at the middle of Max / Min marks on dipstick, you may have problems and you should take your CX-5 to your Mazda dealer for a warranty service.

My wife has a 2018 Mazda cx5 and I have the same issue. The oil indicator keeps flashing red and I had just changed the oil. I also serviced my car with an authorized Mazda dealer and it is still not fixed.

Do you know what the potential solution could be?
If you for sure (see post above) have red Low Oil Pressure Warning Light flashing and you’d checked oil level correctly and it’s between MAX and MIN, of course you should consider this as a serious problem which could potentially damage the engine! Escalate your problem to Mazda North American Operations and demand the problem needs to be resolved!

We have a 2018 CX-5 that recently gave me a low oil pressure light. I pulled over and had the car towed back to my house where I checked the oil and found it in between the marks on the dipstick. It wasn't running funny or making any weird noise, no CEL, just the oil pressure light that scared the hell out of me. Because we are enjoying a lack of household income right now, I dumped the oil and filter, all seemed normal, and I rolled the dice and started it up. Sensors don't always do what they are supposed to and it sounded totally fine. It has now been 100 miles or so and it happened again the other day. I turned it off, started back up after a few mins and the light didn't come back on.

Anyone else had issues with the oil pressure sensor or a similar experience?
Take it to a Mazda dealer to get checked out. That's what the warranty is for

If you for sure (see post above) have red Low Oil Pressure Warning Light flashing and you’d checked oil level correctly and it’s between MAX and MIN, of course you should consider this as a serious problem which could potentially damage the engine! Escalate your problem to Mazda North American Operations and demand the problem needs to be resolved!
Thank you for the clarification. This helps.

I realised it is an orange oils change due sign but the reality is I changed the oil recently so not sure why it still persists.

Thank you for the clarification. This helps.

I realised it is an orange oils change due sign but the reality is I changed the oil recently so not sure why it still persists.
”An orange oils change due sign”? But your original post said it flashing red? Low Oil Level Warning Light in dash is amber / orange color and should be like this:

If you‘re talking about “Oil change due” text notification which can’t get reset, that’s another story, There’s no amber warning light for it but a text notification. There’s a TSB for that problem. Take a picture of your warning light or notification and post it here to clarify.

Pic of the error
This “Service Past Due” notification is generated from “Scheduled” category by Maintenance Monitor. This has nothing to do with “Oil Change” part of Maintenance Monitor. See your owner’s manual for details to reset it.

There’s a TSB for those who can’t reset the oil change notification via Maintenance Monitor on infotainment screen:

“Oil service required” Light malfunction on ‘19 Signature

1E947BC3-0A15-4786-80BF-12E27B6EB484.jpeg

15C0E33F-3187-4305-89C7-E613F2A3E38A.jpeg

Last edited:
Back