2018 CX-9 liftgate Window - Does it open independently?

:
2004 Mazda3 5-door
I'm thinking about buying a CX-9 but when I test drove it I forgot to check... can I have a couple of 9' 2x4's sticking out the liftgate window on my way home from the lumber yard?

TIA

I'm thinking about buying a CX-9 but when I test drove it I forgot to check... can I have a couple of 9' 2x4's sticking out the liftgate window on my way home from the lumber yard?

TIA
No the glass does not open. Sounds like you will be better off with a toyota 4runner

But I dont' want a toyota 4-runner... ;-)

Thanks for the quick response. It does seem like a strange omission though.

It would be surprising if it did have it. Only one crossover has it among dozens, the Toyota Highlander.

As stated above, no it does not.

But it will fit up to 10' long lumber with back seat folded down and front passenger seat reclined all the way back (plus you can remove the passenger seat headrest). Just make sure you have towel or blanket to protect seats, dashboard, and rear hatch area. I know from experience: I had several 10' 2x4s and 5/4 deck boards loaded up earlier this year when I was refinishing my deck.

(iagree) I've brought home 8' lumber in mine, completely within the car (all seats folded) and it had room for more. I'm continually surprised by what will fit back there.

But I dont' want a toyota 4-runner... ;-)

Thanks for the quick response. It does seem like a strange omission though.

Not an omission as even minivans don't have this feature...of all CUVs/SUVs only the 4runner and highlander have this feature. Your best bet for hauling longer stuff would either be a minivan or a pick up truck with an open bed

Not an omission as even minivans don't have this feature...of all CUVs/SUVs only the 4runner and highlander have this feature. Your best bet for hauling longer stuff would either be a minivan or a pick up truck with an open bed
And Jeep grand cherokee. I'd bet there are others as well. OP either way, that's not a good way to run the vehicle as it sucks in exhaust gasses as you drive down the road.

It's a costly feature to add which is why it's all but extinct. Lots of engineering vs a fixed window. I think Toyota maintains them figuring they now fill a niche feature that probably creates sales in itself. If people are on the fence between two models and the Highlander has the opening rear glass, they may just be enough.

Unless you are a contractor, or someone constantly doing projects, you probably only need this feature occasionally. For those occasions, maybe consider renting a pickup truck at Home Depot for $20.

I strongly recommend that you buy the vehicle that suits 90 - 95% of your driving needs, and maybe rent the other 5 - 10%.

Back