2018 CX-5 GT Ticking sound?

But that other TSB you posted in the other thread describes the same symptoms as this one but is a year newer and applies to all 2018-2020 Mazda 6, CX5 and 2019-2020 Mazda 3s (even w/o CD)
No, even thought the newer TSB includes 2019-2020 US spec. Mazda3, but it mentions air bubbles in switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA) which are found only on cylinder #1 and #4 for cylinder deactivation. So yes, both Service Alert and TSB for engine tapping noise are for 2.5L with cylinder deactivation, and it’s a CD related problem!

And IMO keeping the engine rpm at 2000 rpm for 5 minutes to clear the air bubbles up in switchable HLAs described in the newer TSB is a joke! The air bubbles will come back, so as the tapping noise. Bucko2855 had tried the air bubble TSB and proven it’s just a waste of time. At least he eventually got a whole set of new HLAs based on the Service Alert.

Service Alert No.: SA-012/19 Last Issued: 11/22/2019 - VALVE TAPPING OR KNOCKING NOISE HEARD FROM CYLINDER HEAD

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2018-2019 CX-5 vehicles (2.5L with cylinder deactivation)
2018-2019 Mazda6 vehicles (2.5L with cylinder deactivation)

DESCRIPTION
A valve tapping or knocking noise may be heard from the top end after the engine cools down (the vehicle is parked overnight) or after it has been idling for an extended time. The tapping noise will decreases as the vehicle is being driven or if the rpm is held above 2500 -3000 RPM. This may be caused by the valve Hydraulic Lifters (HLA) bleeding down as the engine cools or when the engine has been idling for an extended period of time, creating excessive valve lash clearance.

TSB No.: 01-006/20 Last Issued: 11/04/2020 - TAPPING NOISE FROM ENGINE
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2019-2020 Mazda3 (US spec)
2018-2020 Mazda6 (US spec)
2018-2020 CX-5 (US spec)

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicle may exhibit a tapping noise from the engine during idling; etc., and synchronized to the engine rpm. The tapping noise may be caused by the switchable hydraulic lash adjuster (HLA), which may not work properly due to air bubbles accumulated in the oil passage in it.

So I had my cx5 into dealer on January and they stated they couldn’t recreate the noise and they did the tsb for the air bubble/pocket in the lifters. Now with -12C weather the ticking/knocking noise came back with a vengeance. I showed them the other tsb and they’re saying that’s a USA tsb and doesn’t apply to Canadian cx5’s Needles to say they’re going to look at it again but not until next week. It’s clearly a tolerance issue given it gets worse in colder weather when metal contracts more. Hopefully they’ll correct it because the damn engine now sounds like a diesel until it warms up

So, just to update and especially for Canadian owners, I just received results and
after conversations my dealer had with Mazda Canada, they will replace the hydraulic lash adjusters on my vehicle. It took being abe to leave the cx5 overnight at the dealership when the temps went down to below -10C. They were then able to duplicate the noise I have been dealing with and agree its not injectors, air in the HLA's etc. Canadian dealerships dont appear to be aware of the Service Alert No.: SA-012/19. In fairness this alert is US based and kudos to my dealership for speaking with Mazda Canada to get direction on this.

Parts are coming from the USA which again leads me to believe it hasnt been as prominent a problem in Canada. Main thing is to be persistent if you have this noise occurring until it gets resolved.

But why would they specify in the 2019 service alert that it was for 6s and CX5s with CD, but in the 2020 TSB say it applies all 2018-2020 6s, 3s, CX5s? Mazda bulletins are usually very specific about things like that.

Are 'hydraulic lifters" and "hydraulic lash adjusters" the same thing? They are each abbreviated as HLA in both bulletins

But why would they specify in the 2019 service alert that it was for 6s and CX5s with CD, but in the 2020 TSB say it applies all 2018-2020 6s, 3s, CX5s? Mazda bulletins are usually very specific about things like that.

Are 'hydraulic lifters" and "hydraulic lash adjusters" the same thing? They are each abbreviated as HLA in both bulletins
2.5L with cylinder deactivation started from 2018 CX-5 and Mazda6; but from 2019 Mazda3 only on higher trims. The 2020 TSB is specifically to air bubbles formed in the switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA) which are found only in 2.5L with CD, so any 2.5L’s without CD on 2019-2020 Mazda3 are automatically not applicable. In addition, the 2020 TSB has failed to mention CX-30 which also uses 2.5L with CD on higher trims.

“Hydraulic lifters" and "hydraulic lash adjusters" are the same thing. Switchable HLAs for cylinder deactivation are collapsable hydraulic lifters which would collapse to keep the valves closed when CD is activated.

Mazda bulletins are usually very specific about things like that? Really? Judging by the documents from Mazda such as owner’s manuals or factory service manuals I’ve seen, no, they’re neither specific nor precise, sometimes even with obvious errors!

... As I have posted , the mazda technician has already identfied it as failing Hydraulic Lash Adjusters and i am scheduled to have mine replaced. ....
I had not been aware of the HLA issue until seeing this thread, and it's troubling that there are possibly two separate major issues associated with CD (so far). I tried to get additional information about this from MazdaUSA, but not surprisingly they just sent me the name and address of my local stealership. (thanks a bunch for that). So things such as why the factory adjusters failed, and what improvement (if any) were made to the replacements will remain unknown - at least for now.

Anyway I hope this HLA replacement works out well for you. It's certainly in the advanced category of engine repairs, with lots of stuff coming off and going back on. Yes, I know you have a warranty and they will have to make it right, one way or the other. Nevertheless, just the thought of anyone else doing even something simple to one of my vehicles makes me queasy, and the idea of someone doing this job on my CX-5 would make my knees buckle. But don't mind me - just a useless DIYer rant, and hopefully you'll have a competent tech who will do a fine job on your vehicle.

Based on Mazda’s Service Alert and TSB, this tapping noise problem is only from 2.5L with cylinder deactivation on 2018 and newer CX-5’s. And the switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA) on cylinder #1 and #4 are designed only for cylinder deactivation / activation.

View attachment 295610
That is just saying that special HLAs have to be used if the engine has CD.

So, just to update and especially for Canadian owners, I just received results and
after conversations my dealer had with Mazda Canada, they will replace the hydraulic lash adjusters on my vehicle. It took being abe to leave the cx5 overnight at the dealership when the temps went down to below -10C. They were then able to duplicate the noise I have been dealing with and agree its not injectors, air in the HLA's etc. Canadian dealerships dont appear to be aware of the Service Alert No.: SA-012/19. In fairness this alert is US based and kudos to my dealership for speaking with Mazda Canada to get direction on this.

Parts are coming from the USA which again leads me to believe it hasnt been as prominent a problem in Canada. Main thing is to be persistent if you have this noise occurring until it gets resolved.
Are they going to replace the lifters for all 4 cylinders?

That is just saying that special HLAs have to be used if the engine has CD.
No. The service alert is only for 2.5L
with CD. The TSB mentioned switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA) existed only on CD equipped 2.5L NA.

Service Alert No.: SA-012/19 Last Issued: 11/22/2019 - VALVE TAPPING OR KNOCKING NOISE HEARD FROM CYLINDER HEAD
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2018-2019 CX-5 vehicles (2.5L with cylinder deactivation)
2018-2019 Mazda6 vehicles (2.5L with cylinder deactivation)

DESCRIPTION
A valve tapping or knocking noise may be heard from the top end after the engine cools down (the vehicle is parked overnight) or after it has been idling for an extended time. The tapping noise will decreases as the vehicle is being driven or if the rpm is held above 2500 -3000 RPM. This may be caused by the valve Hydraulic Lifters (HLA) bleeding down as the engine cools or when the engine has been idling for an extended period of time, creating excessive valve lash clearance.

TSB No.: 01-006/20 Last Issued: 11/04/2020 - TAPPING NOISE FROM ENGINE
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2019-2020 Mazda3 (US spec)
2018-2020 Mazda6 (US spec)
2018-2020 CX-5 (US spec)

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicle may exhibit a tapping noise from the engine during idling; etc., and synchronized to the engine rpm. The tapping noise may be caused by the switchable hydraulic lash adjuster (HLA), which may not work properly due to air bubbles accumulated in the oil passage in it.

I guess but it sure is ambiguous. The TSB does go out of the way to say the cars affected "With CD" but in the body it notes that "If the tapping can not be isolated, replace all the HLA's" instead of saying only replace the HLA's for the two cylinders with CD.

I guess but it sure is ambiguous. The TSB does go out of the way to say the cars affected "With CD" but in the body it notes that "If the tapping can not be isolated, replace all the HLA's" instead of saying only replace the HLA's for the two cylinders with CD.
And those tapping noise complaints here are all from 2018 CX-5 and newer with CD. It’s CD related issue.

Unreal.

and that is not the same noise that i am having to deal with that is a rapid clicking noise . The metal on metal tapping noise I have is a completely different animal and is occurring on the top passenger side of the engine right under the top cover no wheres near the HP fuel pump. As I have posted , the mazda technician has already identfied it as failing Hydraulic Lash Adjusters and i am scheduled to have mine replaced. That timing retard diaspears quickly once the cats heat up but the metal on metal sound is more prominent and doesnt go away until the engine fully heats up after about 15 mins
Bucko2855 did they finish the work yet? Did they replace all of them? Is the noise gone?

Bucko had scheduled an appointment almost two weeks ago but he didn't give a follow up here. Maybe they didn't have the master tech or parts available yet. We never heard back from the guy with the incorrect oil either.

One thing I noticed is that people never mention the oil they have used and how often the interval until the engine starts to experience those issues, noises or lash adjusters. Maybe that plays some role as well...Over a period of time of course.

One thing I noticed is that people never mention the oil they have used and how often the interval until the engine starts to experience those issues, noises or lash adjusters. Maybe that plays some role as well...Over a period of time of course.
Letting the oil go too long can cause the lifters to stick but the original poster on the first page of this thread said he changed his oil ever 3,106 miles with Castrol oil.

Here's the most recent TSB on 'Tapping noise from engine', which supersedes all prior communication on this subject. It has additional information, but IMO in no way will make anyone feel happier about owning a 2018-20 Skyactiv-CD engine.

The most important new statement from Mazda in this revised TSB is that 'the switchable HLA has been modified for increased oil supply to reduce air bubbles in the oil passage'. So this certainly sounds like confirmation from the automaker that the factory switchable HLAs are not subject to 'failing', but instead were designed incorrectly by not providing for enough oil flow.

And so the new question question becomes, how many engines will eventually produce whatever set of conditions are required to create the low oil flow, air bubbles, and the noise? Just another episode in the Skyactiv CD horror show.

Attachments

• MC-10191534-0001[1].pdf
    344.5 KB · Views: 265
Crazy stuff. Seems the whole CD thing was not so good idea after all.
Who knows what else will come up in few years after the 2018 models become 'old' with more miles.

Crazy stuff. Seems the whole CD thing was not so good idea after all.
Who knows what else will come up in few years after the 2018 models become 'old' with more miles.
When I said it about the potential problems on cylinder deactivation and canceled my plan getting a 2018 CX-5 GT due to the sudden announcement of CD been introduced to the 2.5L back in 2018, there’re very few agreed with my opinion. Now I still believe I made a right decision, got a 2018 Toyota Yaris iA (Mazda2) instead. Unfortunately I just learned Toyota has decided to discontinue the Yaris iA and not sure if the join venture in Mexico between Toyota and Mazda will still be continued.

Last edited:
An option I see is maybe to get the maximum miles mazda plan warranty for anybody who wants to drive the CD engines to 100k+ and sleep well :) $1500-1600 for the extra warranty maybe worth it or a good insurance past the 60k mile mark.

Back