2018 CX-5 GT Ticking sound?

I have a 2018 CX-5 GT with 16,000km on it. I change the oil every 5,000km with Castrol 0W20 and an OEM filter. Last oil change was about 2 months ago. Just started noticing the ticking noise (in the YouTube video) about 2 days ago. I checked the oil level and it looks fine. I had the car in for the recall update in the summer. The only thing that is really different is the weather has been colder here in Toronto the past couple of days. Anyone know what this ticking sound is?
Nothing to do with the oil you are using, This is a Mazda issue, My 2018 did the same thing. The Mazda tech had several reasons why it could possibly be my fault. None of which hold water!

I assume the engine was fully warmed up when you recorded the video. The ticking noise is from valve clearance and it should be very minimum with hydraulic lifter or hydraulic lash adjuster. Oil quality would be my first guess which causes this ticking noise. Where did you make your last oil change? Are you sure you got good Castrol 0W-20 oil? If youre really concerned, you can change the oil (preferably at a Mazda dealer) and see if the noise would be gone. If not, bring it up to your Mazda dealer and complain.

Was the recall youve done for cylinder deactivation?
2018 does not have cyl deactivation. Mazda will do nothing unless the engine tanks completely or does it on a daily basis. Then they will try to blame the owner for not changing the oil in a Mazda service center.

The HLA’s appear to be having issues. I think you will see a trend of more replacements happening regarding the service bulletin being circulated.

The 2018 does have cylinder deactivation but I don't think that ticking noise is from CD.
I thought in Canada 2019 was the year for CD, regardless I got feed up with the run around and non belief that the condition existed, even with videos! I traded it in for a CX5 2.5T, so lets see how this one performs.

The 2018 does have cylinder deactivation but I don't think that ticking noise is from CD.
Based on Mazda’s Service Alert and TSB, this tapping noise problem is only from 2.5L with cylinder deactivation on 2018 and newer CX-5’s. And the switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA) on cylinder #1 and #4 are designed only for cylinder deactivation / activation.

9F35BE32-4D85-4BD9-AE97-8A92B15490F0.jpeg

Based on Mazda’s Service Alert and TSB, this tapping noise problem is only from 2.5L with cylinder deactivation on 2018 and newer CX-5’s. And the switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA) on cylinder #1 and #4 are designed only for cylinder deactivation / activation.

View attachment 295610
But that other TSB you posted in the other thread describes the same symptoms as this one but is a year newer and applies to all 2018-2020 Mazda 6, CX5 and 2019-2020 Mazda 3s (even w/o CD)

View attachment 295610
The dealer here seems to know nothing about this. Its worse, they tried to charge me $200.00 because they could not diagnose a problem. I had the FOB in hand so I just walked.

This video popped up in my YouTube feed, and I figured it would be worth sharing.

In the comments, the uploader responds to a comment from James Bottger, and states that he used to work with Mazda, and that the engineers explained to him that the 2.5L non-turbo is supposed to sound the way it does in the video. Of course, with no way to validate his credentials/experience, we have to take it at face value.

There are some 1st gen 2.5L CX-5 owners here who have racked up over 100k (and have provided UOAs to show that wear levels remain low). If those users could chime in and confirm that, upon cold start in cold temps, their engines sound just like the one in the original video posted by OP, and the video in this post, that would be really helpful. At the very least it would provide some reassurance that the engine should make it to at least XXX mileage even with the ticking described.

This video popped up in my YouTube feed, and I figured it would be worth sharing.

In the comments, the uploader responds to a comment from James Bottger, and states that he used to work with Mazda, and that the engineers explained to him that the 2.5L non-turbo is supposed to sound the way it does in the video. Of course, with no way to validate his credentials/experience, we have to take it at face value.

There are some 1st gen 2.5L CX-5 owners here who have racked up over 100k (and have provided UOAs to show that wear levels remain low). If those users could chime in and confirm that, upon cold start in cold temps, their engines sound just like the one in the original video posted by OP, and the video in this post, that would be really helpful. At the very least it would provide some reassurance that the engine should make it to at least XXX mileage even with the ticking described.
This is normal I fully agree, however the sound people are talking about is completely different and not healthy.

This is normal I fully agree, however the sound people are talking about is completely different and not healthy.

I must not be hearing what you're hearing then. The cold start up in both the OP's video and the video I posted sound the same to me.

I listened to both clips again. I think the OPs has a much more distinctive "tick" sound. My 2018 (21k kms) sounds like the clip sm1ke posted.

Wade

Unreal.

and that is not the same noise that i am having to deal with that is a rapid clicking noise . The metal on metal tapping noise I have is a completely different animal and is occurring on the top passenger side of the engine right under the top cover no wheres near the HP fuel pump. As I have posted , the mazda technician has already identfied it as failing Hydraulic Lash Adjusters and i am scheduled to have mine replaced. That timing retard diaspears quickly once the cats heat up but the metal on metal sound is more prominent and doesnt go away until the engine fully heats up after about 15 mins

Unreal.

and that is not the same noise that i am having to deal with that is a rapid clicking noise . The metal on metal tapping noise I have is a completely different animal and is occurring on the top passenger side of the engine right under the top cover no wheres near the HP fuel pump. As I have posted , the mazda technician has already identfied it as failing Hydraulic Lash Adjusters and i am scheduled to have mine replaced. That timing retard diaspears quickly once the cats heat up but the metal on metal sound is more prominent and doesnt go away until the engine fully heats up after about 15 mins

Thanks for clarifying.

For the record, I posted the clip to provide a frame of reference, not to dismiss a potential problem that others might be having. If the sound is different to the listener's ear than what is in the video, by all means get it checked out. Again, the video is posted for reference, in case someone new comes across this thread wondering about the loud engine noise upon startup - they can compare their engine noise with the sound in the video and determine for themselves if the sound is normal, or if it is the result of an issue with the HLAs.

The dealer here seems to know nothing about this. Its worse, they tried to charge me $200.00 because they could not diagnose a problem. I had the FOB in hand so I just walked.
Show the Service Alert to the dealer, and contact Mazda North American Operations or Mazda Canada complaining.

Back