2018 CX-5 GT Ticking

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
It sounds normal to me. According to Mazda, the engine retards timing 20 degrees during accelerated warmup and the loud ticking is fuel burning in the headers. It*s a Skyactiv engine trait that you will undoubtedly notice in the colder months. 100% normal.
The ticking noise in the first video from OP is the valve clearance noise. Both members hearing such ticking noise claimed they didnt hear this noise until recent cold weather after the PCM update by the recall. Besides, accelerated warm-up happens every time we start a cold SkyActiv-G engine, this means we should hear such ticking noise each time we start a cold engine. But thats not the case from both reports.

My 2016 CX-5 doesnt have such ticking noise unless the engine hasnt been started for a long period of time. Even that, the ticking noise is gone within seconds.

:
2018 CX-5 GT
There's a recent service alert (November 22, 2019, Service Alert No.: SA-012/19, "VALVE TAPPING OR KNOCKING NOISE HEARD FROM CYLINDER HEAD") that may be applicable.

Summary:
"A valve tapping or knocking noise may be heard from the top end after the engine cools down (the vehicle is parked overnight) or after it has been idling for an extended time. The tapping noise will decreases as the vehicle is being driven or if the rpm is held above 2500-3000 RPM. This may be caused by the valve Hydraulic Lifters (HLA) bleeding down as the engine cools or when the engine has been idling for an extended period of time, creating excessive valve lash clearance."

The diagnosis and repair procedure refers to inspection and replacement of the hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA). The inspection doesn't seem limited to the cylinders with deactivation (1 and 4), but the scope of the service alert is 2.5L with cylinder deactivation.

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
To my ear, it sounds like a bad belt tensioner.

The tensioner above the alternator is easy to pinpoint..........just check if it leaks. OP indicated he had a recall regarding the cylinder deactivation which probably explains the change in ticking. That said if there is no ticking I would be concerned :)

:
CX5 GT
Made an appointment at the dealer to have the ticking/tapping checked out. Trouble is it has been warmer here for the last several days and I am unable to reproduce it.

I was hoping to at least to be able to catch a video of it so I could prove it to the service people. Car has about 33K on it, would love to get it checked out before 36K
maybe I'll be wasting my time at that service appt?

:
2018 CX5 Mach Grey
Folks sorry to reinitiate this post but I have an '18 cx5 2.5L that just started the ticking noise at 50,000 km (30,000 miles) when temps went down below freezing. Did anyone including the OP ever get a confirmed answer to what caused it?

Folks sorry to reinitiate this post but I have an '18 cx5 2.5L that just started the ticking noise at 50,000 km (30,000 miles) when temps went down below freezing. Did anyone including the OP ever get a confirmed answer to what caused it?
^Same! Just bought this car for my wife with 36k. Reached 41k and changed the oil (not sure if this has anything to do with it) 2 weeks later and it’s finally a little cold in south Texas and the noise has appeared. What is everyone doing to get this fixed? Thanks in advance.

:
2018 CX5 Mach Grey
There are 2 TSB’s on this both dealing with hydraulic lifters. One is for air pockets than can form in the lifters and the other is for failed lifters. I took mine to the dealer and they assured me it was not catastrophic and they did the air pocket service.

I have a 2019 cx5. Just hit 23K miles on it. Just this morning I started my car to warm up. Walked back out to it to leave and heard this loud ticking noise. But what gets weird is when I went to take off, it sort of bogged down on me, then jumped back to life and was fine. Got to work and the sound was gone. But I was able to get it to do the same exact thing later in the day. Only seems to be when it’s left running for longer than a few minutes. It’s been cold but I live in Wyoming. It’s cold a lot during the winter and this is the first this has happened. I did have the recall done this last year. Strange to me that it just randomly started doing this. Any thoughts?

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
this conversation also has some additional or similar input on ticking :

and

unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a single solves all the ticking noise solution. I would be curious if @bucko2855 or @TexasToner found an acceptable root cause and solution yet.

:
2018 CX5 Mach Grey
^Same! Just bought this car for my wife with 36k. Reached 41k and changed the oil (not sure if this has anything to do with it) 2 weeks later and it’s finally a little cold in south Texas and the noise has appeared. What is everyone doing to get this fixed? Thanks in advance.
So I had my cx5 into dealer on January and they stated they couldn’t recreate the noise and they did the tsb for the air bubble/pocket in the lifters. Now with -12C weather the ticking/knocking noise came back with a vengeance. I showed them the other tsb and they’re saying that’s a USA tsb and doesn’t apply to Canadian cx5’s Needles to say they’re going to look at it again but not until next week. It’s clearly a tolerance issue given it gets worse in colder weather when metal contracts more. Hopefully they’ll correct it because the damn engine now sounds like a diesel until it warms up

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
:
2018 CX5 Mach Grey
Thanks.

The repair procedure for air bubbles accumulated in the oil passage in switchable hydraulic lash adjuster (HLA) is to keep the engine rpm at 2000 rpm for 5 minutes. Yeah right. We can do this by ourself! And I doubt this procedure can really fix the tapping noise problem permanently caused by HLA.
I agree. Absolute BS