2018 CX-5 GT Ticking sound?

I recall in 2010 or so when Car & Driver first tested a Skyactive engine, the writer commented that the tapping noise sounded like a quieter diesel engine. I noticed the same when I bought my 2014 3S 2.5 but remembered the C&D review and though nothing of it. My car now has 30,000 miles on it.

That seems to indicate an interference of some kind - not normal at all, in my opinion.

And those tapping noise complaints here are all from 2018 CX-5 and newer with CD. It’s CD related issue.
Here's the most recent TSB on 'Tapping noise from engine', which supersedes all prior communication on this subject. It has additional information, but IMO in no way will make anyone feel happier about owning a 2018-20 Skyactiv-CD engine.

The most important new statement from Mazda in this revised TSB is that 'the switchable HLA has been modified for increased oil supply to reduce air bubbles in the oil passage'. So this certainly sounds like confirmation from the automaker that the factory switchable HLAs are not subject to 'failing', but instead were designed incorrectly by not providing for enough oil flow.

And so the new question question becomes, how many engines will eventually produce whatever set of conditions are required to create the low oil flow, air bubbles, and the noise? Just another episode in the Skyactiv CD horror show.
Really appreciate the conversations in this forum. 2018 CX-GT just started ticking and wondering what caused it. Will be taking to our dealer to have it checked out. Sound diminishes with warming engine, but still present.

Really appreciate the conversations in this forum. 2018 CX-GT just started ticking and wondering what caused it. Will be taking to our dealer to have it checked out. Sound diminishes with warming engine, but still present.
Be prepared. Make sure to take the latest TSB with you and present it to your Mazda dealer.

Also you can read macker’s posts for his experience on how to get his switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLAs) replaced for the same problem:

CX-5 Tapping noise

First of all, how does the noise compare to the noise in the video from macker's post #30 in the thread that yrwei52 linked above? And is the noise in yours reasonably consistent, so that you'll likely to be able to reproduce it for your dealer's service department?

Back