2018 CX-5 Grand Touring Leather Seat Issue

2017 with 12k miles and no issues aside from some slight wrinkling at the front of the seat.

XaSPBh4.jpg

Last edited:
2017 with 12k miles and no isses side from some slight wrinkling at the front of the seat.

XaSPBh4.jpg

Looks good.

Goes to show that the ones that have issues could be due to Mazda's "checks" have not picked up the fault during manufacture

Looks good.

Goes to show that the ones that have issues could be due to Mazda's "checks" have not picked up the fault during manufacture

2017 model, 2000KM and I also have the bubble. Have not bothered to go to the dealership about it, doubt they will do anything about it.

IMG_20180305_164714.jpeg
IMG_20180305_164717.jpeg

Could it be that when the seats are being assembled someone is missing installing the upholstery hog (the name for that metal clamp) for that portion of the seat?

I replaced a cover on my 2014 myself and wherever the seams were there we spaced for hogs to go that you had to clamp to a metal bar embedded into the seat. If those hogs were there the seam wouldn't bubble up like that.

Edit: NVM, I took a look at the picture posted by Anchorman and there's no where to clip anything to for where that seam is. I wonder if that's the issue as the old seats had clamps along each line of stitching.

Last edited:
Did you suffer the same issue hence replacement (uhm)

I actually volunteer with a rescue group and one of the cats we were fostering peed in it's carrier while I was transporting it and it got into the passenger side rear seat cover and smelled horrendous. I but the bullet and bought a new cover and reinstalled it myself to get rid of the smell.

I have a 2015 CX5 Touring with 42,000 miles, and my cloth seats are pristine, and I am 6'2", and weigh 270 lbs. The trouble with natural leather is that it stretches. I have had a couple of cars with good Naugahyde, and they held up very well. Of course Naugas are getting hard to find anymore, so their hyde is rare, and expensive.

Back