2018 CX-5 Grand Touring Leather Seat Issue

It’s not the foam. The leather should be a smaller piece in that base section and pulled tight. The foam former below is perfect - I’ve seen it.
Then they haven't put together the leather properly (uhm)

It’s not the foam. The leather should be a smaller piece in that base section and pulled tight. The foam former below is perfect - I’ve seen it.

Yes, it looks like the leather seat cover center section was stitched to the sides with extra room. It would only take a few extra millimeters of material in the center to create a popped out area.

Yes, it looks like the leather seat cover center section was stitched to the sides with extra room. It would only take a few extra millimeters of material in the center to create a popped out area.

Maybe a manufaturing (re stitching) defect

Then they haven't put together the leather properly (uhm)

I would say so. This is the base of mine with the cover off. The seat base is very firm and very well made.

00_C48764-8824-4815-_AE7_D-1789_FB601_B0_C.jpg

I think they just got the template slightly wrong and it should be a tighter stretch of leather.

I agree - i think these few seat covers were made slightly large, probably wrapped in plastic, and then assembled to the seat frame over the foam. So likely not noticed until unwrapped. i remember seeing mine look like this a few days after ownership, but wanted to see how it would wear in. 2 months later the same, so time to talk to Mazda.

Even if I had noticed it day one after purchase, they still would have to review and fix. So I never rushed back.

Some people have bulging issue whilst others don't seem to (if I read it correctly).

So their inspection regime must not have picked up on it.

I think some have noticed it and others didn’t but every one at the dealers had it. There was one with velour seats and it was perfect.

Hmmm... it seems like I may have the same issue with my 2017. I'll have to look at the seat when my wife gets back with my car.
20180306_085710.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder why some do not have this issue? I don’t.

I think somethings happened during production process. Similar to the issue last year where some vehicles were having issue where trim wasn't done properly on the dash

I think somethings happened during production process. Similar to the issue last year where some vehicles were having issue where trim wasn't done properly on the dash

I am guessing these seats are manufactured by another company and shipped to Mazda so the QC at the outsourced company needs to be checked.

It could be as simple as one person doing the assembly differently from what is expected.

I am guessing these seats are manufactured by another company and shipped to Mazda so the QC at the outsourced company needs to be checked.

It could be as simple as one person doing the assembly differently from what is expected.

(iagree)

That's why I mentioned earlier it could be a manufacturer defect/process issue regardless of it being inhouse or a supplier and the checks in place (we hope there are some) didn't pick it up.

You can’t really assemble them wrong. If you look at this photo, the seat trimmer has a tool for rolling a retaining loop. He snaps one off the strip in his left hand with the tool and then in one action, pulls the seat cover down tight to the base by using that tool to roll the clip into an anchor. The seat cover is tight but the leather is baggy.

IMG_3690.jpg

Yes, seats are a sub assembly manufactured by 3rd parties to the OEM specs. I doubt it is an assembly issue. It appears that the leather center on the driver's seat is a little to big when it was sewn into the non-perforated side bolster leather.

It could be the seat leather cover is shipped in plastic to the seat manufacturer and the QC needs to happen at the seat cover maker - possibly a different company from the seat manufacturer.

Back