2018 CX-5 Entertainment section stopped working

Oppie1

:
2018 Mazda cx-5
Yesterday, as i was leaving my hose to drive 400 miles to my parents, my radio on my 5 month cx5 just died. I can no longer select the entertainment option of my CMU. When i go into settings and try to change the bass or treble, or just reverts back to default. The volume knob no longer shows volume level. I have pulled fuse and restored firmware without any luck. Android Auto and Carplay work for gps, but can not play any music as well. I have an appointment w/ my dealer on friday to get it looked at. Has anyone had this same issue happen to them and is there a fix i could possibly do?

thanks!

I would advise that as it is under warranty, let the dealer fix it. I think you've done what you can.

finally got an update on this. My dealer has had my car since Dec 28th. They've swapped CMUs and restored firmware without any luck. Finally on Thursday, after a few days back and forth with Mazda Tech Support, they discovered the FM Modular unit (i think thats what he called it. Its a unit seperate from the CMU, under the dash behind the glovebox) is defective and needs to be replaced. They should have the part either monday or tuesday and i should have my car back then. They were nice enough to give me a loaner, but i miss my car.

finally got an update on this. My dealer has had my car since Dec 28th. They've swapped CMUs and restored firmware without any luck. Finally on Thursday, after a few days back and forth with Mazda Tech Support, they discovered the FM Modular unit (i think thats what he called it. Its a unit seperate from the CMU, under the dash behind the glovebox) is defective and needs to be replaced. They should have the part either monday or tuesday and i should have my car back then. They were nice enough to give me a loaner, but i miss my car.

Hi Oppie1: Did changing the FM Modular Unit solve your problem? I am very curious as I have just experienced the same exact problem and symptoms as you in MY 2018 CX-5. Stopping in at the dealer tomorrow and any information would be helpful.

Oppie1, I have an update for you. Brought my car to the dealer so he could take a quick look at it. He ended up getting my system audio working again. Here's what he said he did. He said he disconnected the battery for a few minutes, then reconnected it so the firmware would reinstall. He said that then the system started working again. As an extra precaution, he installed the latest version of the software, version 7.0 which also includes the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto updates even though I did not get the updated usb port installed yet (scheduled to have that done next Friday). System works fine now. One question, does your car have a Remote Start installed?

Had a similiar issue today. CarPlay would connect, disconnect, and reconnect constantly. Switched over the FM, and nothing. Just dead. Switched to AM, also nothing, no sound. Meanwhile the Connect system was lagging like a Windows 98 computer. Any clue what causes this?

For all of the gripes about the CX-5s engine, the entertainment system has to be the worst, and its not even close. My wifes 17 Explorers entertainment system is fantastic.

Oppie1, I have an update for you. Brought my car to the dealer so he could take a quick look at it. He ended up getting my system audio working again. Here's what he said he did. He said he disconnected the battery for a few minutes, then reconnected it so the firmware would reinstall. He said that then the system started working again. As an extra precaution, he installed the latest version of the software, version 7.0 which also includes the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto updates even though I did not get the updated usb port installed yet (scheduled to have that done next Friday). System works fine now. One question, does your car have a Remote Start installed?

my car does not have remote start, tho i have been looking into 3rd party options for one

Well, I spoke too soon. My audio system worked for 3 days then just crapped out again this morning. I guess disconnecting the battery and updating the software didn't do the trick. When I initially mentioned this thread, the dealer scoffed that "you can't believe what you read on the internet". Oppie1, please keep us apprised if your system continues to work after replacing the FM tuner.

Well, I spoke too soon. My audio system worked for 3 days then just crapped out again this morning. I guess disconnecting the battery and updating the software didn't do the trick. When I initially mentioned this thread, the dealer scoffed that "you can't believe what you read on the internet". Oppie1, please keep us apprised if your system continues to work after replacing the FM tuner.

as of now, everything is working as expected. zero issues after FM Tuner replacement

You guys are talking about the Tuner Amplifier Unit (TAU). It's in the right hand kick panel / to the right of the glove box in the dash. It is essentially the whole "radio" / audio amplifier portion of the car's infotainment. The display is just a monitor for the CMU, and the CMU is the "brain" that combines all the car info / systems / NAV / settings with the TAU to complete the infotainment system.

I haven't heard of many of these failing. It's kind of good to see that if it does it doesn't crash the whole system.

Hi Oppie1:

I hope your system is still working as my system is still down. As I stated, the dealer did a software reload and system worked for 3 days before it crashed again. I called dealer and they said they were going to order a new CMU and that should fix the problem. Brought the car in today and when I picked it up after service hours it still didn't work, though they claimed they had fixed it. I hope they will read this post and maybe consider the tuner module as the problem because I'm getting tired of running back and forth.

Hi Oppie1:

I hope your system is still working as my system is still down. As I stated, the dealer did a software reload and system worked for 3 days before it crashed again. I called dealer and they said they were going to order a new CMU and that should fix the problem. Brought the car in today and when I picked it up after service hours it still didn't work, though they claimed they had fixed it. I hope they will read this post and maybe consider the tuner module as the problem because I'm getting tired of running back and forth.

Yup, after they replaced the TAU under warranty, everything is working as it should. Havent had issues with my radio since.

I owe this community a description of my own experience (2016 CX-5). Hopefully this helps someone else experiencing this issue.

One day I couldn't select the entertainment option on the LCD main menu. I could not play music from any source. The navigation and other pages worked fine. Also my car battery was being drained while the car was off. If I left the car for more than 2 days without driving, it wouldn't start.

Using a multimeter to measure the current draw and pulling fuses one by one, I isolated the excess current draw to the circuit with the "Audio 1" (15 Amp) fuse. According to a wiring diagram from a google search, the only thing connected to this circuit is the Tuner Amplifier Unit (TAU). At this point, both issues pointed towards a faulty TAU.

I ordered a new one off Ebay for ~$110 and replacing the part immediately fixed the entertainment selection issue. I believe the excess power draw issue is also fixed but I haven't had a chance to test.

I owe this community a description of my own experience (2016 CX-5). Hopefully this helps someone else experiencing this issue.

One day I couldn't select the entertainment option on the LCD main menu. I could not play music from any source. The navigation and other pages worked fine. Also my car battery was being drained while the car was off. If I left the car for more than 2 days without driving, it wouldn't start.

Using a multimeter to measure the current draw and pulling fuses one by one, I isolated the excess current draw to the circuit with the "Audio 1" (15 Amp) fuse. According to a wiring diagram from a google search, the only thing connected to this circuit is the Tuner Amplifier Unit (TAU). At this point, both issues pointed towards a faulty TAU.

I ordered a new one off Ebay for ~$110 and replacing the part immediately fixed the entertainment selection issue. I believe the excess power draw issue is also fixed but I haven't had a chance to test.
I have this exact same problem after the battery dying. I put in a new battery and all the sudden the entertainment section of the infotainment won’t work. Zero sound from the speakers. Nothing changed with restarting. Everything else works. I’m excited there might be a solution we can do without taking it back to the dealer since the warranty is expired. I know nothing about this though. What exactly should I be looking for on eBay. I’m sure with enough googling, I can figure out how to replace it, but just don’t know what to order!

I have this exact same problem after the battery dying. I put in a new battery and all the sudden the entertainment section of the infotainment won’t work. Zero sound from the speakers. Nothing changed with restarting. Everything else works. I’m excited there might be a solution we can do without taking it back to the dealer since the warranty is expired. I know nothing about this though. What exactly should I be looking for on eBay. I’m sure with enough googling, I can figure out how to replace it, but just don’t know what to order!
I’m having the same exact problem! Have you been able to find a solution? I’ve tried resetting it and it doesn’t help.

Back