2017 Rear Wiper - Spray (odd behavior)

:
Toronto, ON Canada
:
2017 CX-5 GT
I find it a bit strange that on the right hand stalk that controls the rear wiper, there are 2 positions that activates the spray. Both are at the top or bottom of the Off, Int, On controls.

On mine, if I move it to the top position to spray, the wiper doesn't come on, just the spray.

If I move it to the spray on the bottom position, the wiper comes on as expected.

Anyone else have the same behavior? If yes, that's a bit strange to spray and not have the wiper come on.

I've read the manual and there's no mention of if the wiper should come on:
* Rear Window Washer
To spray washer fluid, turn the rear wiper/
washer switch to either of the position.
After the switch is released, the washer
will stop.
If the washer does not work, inspect the
fluid level (page 6-30). If the fluid level
is normal and the washer still does not
work, consult an Authorized Mazda
Dealer.

Last edited:
I would assume it is used without the wiper if you run it dry. You wouldn't want the wiper engaged while you were priming the line. It's just a guess, though.

I don't believe it's by design. I tried it today again and sometimes the wiper would work. Works 100% of the time on the lower setting.

Will have to get this checked out at it's next service.

Was curious if others were experiencing the same thing.

If you twist the stalk end to the top spray position, the wiper should make a couple of passes (or more, depending on how long you hold it in the spray position) - the control should spring back to the off position when released. The lower spray setting is obviously for adding some spray while the wiper is already in a continuous or intermittent setting.

The top setting is for cleaning your rear window but not needing the wipers to operate full time. The bottom setting is for cleaning while the wipers are operating.

Its a convenience item. Some makes out a button on the stalk. This is just another way of doing it and simpler too.

My 2014 CX5 operates like this. If I rotate the stalk up a little it will spray only, until I rotate the stalk up all the way. There is another indent that is for intermittent use. Ed

Not sure how you clean your window with the sprayer just dribbling down the glass with the wiper not going.

What I want to know, does your CX-5 do the same thing?

for my 2017, the spray isin't really a spray but more of a trickle to be used with the wiper to clear the glass. No, the nozzle is not dirty.

The top setting is for cleaning your rear window but not needing the wipers to operate full time. The bottom setting is for cleaning while the wipers are operating.

It*s a convenience item. Some makes out a button on the stalk. This is just another way of doing it and simpler too.

Thanks for confirming your 2014 does this.

When I rotate the stalk up all the way, the wipers sometimes comes on with the spray and more of the time it does not.

My 2014 CX5 operates like this. If I rotate the stalk up a little it will spray only, until I rotate the stalk up all the way. There is another indent that is for intermittent use. Ed

Not sure how you clean your window with the sprayer just dribbling down the glass with the wiper not going.

What I want to know, does your CX-5 do the same thing?

for my 2017, the spray isin't really a spray but more of a trickle to be used with the wiper to clear the glass. No, the nozzle is not dirty.

If I activate the spray the wiper also moves. I do agree that its not really a spray but a weak stream downwards and it only cleans the wiper area. If I want a clear rear window I do it by hand.

It*s not the best system in my opinion as it uses one pump and non return valves. The switch just reverses the polarity and the same pump runs backwards to supply the back screen. However, the front fan jets provide some back pressure and the plain nozzle at the back provides none so it results in a little prostate issue.

Attachments

• Washer pump.pdf
    425.4 KB · Views: 132
Back