2017 Mazda CX-9 front suspension clunking/knocking noise

Just inside each strut tower (the towers each have 3 silver bolts/nuts) there is a brace/bracket between the two towers (black horizontal bar in picture below). Each end of this bracket has 2 black bolts/screws that hold it in place and these are what need to be tightened. 12mm IIRC.

I have a similar clunking noise from my front shocks.
Could you please re-attach the pics. They are not available here.

My cx 9 has about only 6000 miles. Pretty much every time when I go over the speed bump, the front driver side suspension will make clunking or knocking noise. First time took it to the dealer, they replaced lower control arm but the noise is still there. The second time they said that it was the windshield cowl(loose or broken pin). I am about to call the dealer for the third time. Does anyone else having the same issue? What could it be?

In the above link, its the video that I took which show the clunking noise. I dont know how well you guys can hear it. But, its the same recording that I showed it to the service writer.
I just had this same issue on my 2019 CX5 with 11k on it. This was a subframe bolt that was not torqued properly from the factory, and was loose causing the clunking sound upon stopping, this was after I was told it was a lower control arm, a 30 year master tech found this issue. Extremely unsettling to have a frame issue on such a new vehicle. He said he has seen this issue on every model and year since 2010 except Miata. Have yours looked at! Front left bolt on subframe.

Had the same issue on my 2019 CX-9 GT. I tightened the strut tower bolts (strut brace bolts were really loose) and that cured it. Only 8700 miles at the time.

I have a similar clunking noise from my front shocks.
Could you please re-attach the pics. They are not available here.
Just took mine to the dealership today. had the same issue and all FIXED! under warranty. Thanks for the tips to explain and find a spot near the dealership with bumps. The bolts were tightened in the Strut assembly

Hey all, so I have a clunk/creak. I sourced it down and there's actually a tsb. But try this.

If you jack up the car, you will hear the creaking coming from the coil spring. Take wd40 and from the wheel arch spray upwards to the top of the coil spring and also spray the top of the strut rod inside the rod cover where the bump stop resides.

I did this a month and a half ago and it hasn't come back.

There's a tsb attached that addresses a coil spring sleeve and a new bump stop.

Attachments

• 02-001-20.pdf
    679.7 KB · Views: 291
Its not just 2 cowl bolts on each side its 6 bolts, 12 total per this tsb. This is effectively a strut tower cross brace. Increases torsional rigidity. I just tightened the 2 visible bolts on each side but looks like there are more bolts under the plastic trim piece. Just thought I would pass it on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230306-162734_Xodo Docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20230306-162734_Xodo Docs.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 121
  • MC-10202693-0001.pdf
    205.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
You can get all 4 bolts (each side) without removing the big plastic shroud. The two under the plastic shroud can be accessed by popping out the plastic rivits and then you can lift up on the plastic and get on those two bolts with a box end wrench. To get the 29ft-lbs the double wrench technique comes in handy.

Attachments

• 20230313_163901.jpg
    20230313_163901.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 149
You can get all 4 bolts (each side) without removing the big plastic shroud. The two under the plastic shroud can be accessed by popping out the plastic rivits and then you can lift up on the plastic and get on those two bolts with a box end wrench. To get the 29ft-lbs the double wrench technique comes in handy.
Thank you all so much for the pictures a guidance! My 2019 was making a clunk that sounded like suspension when going over bumps turning into and out of driveways.. not all the time but felt like it was when the suspension was compressed. So pretty much a bump and not a dip or pothole. I have been looking and inspecting the suspension as I started noticing it after a brake job, which was weird because the only bolts loosened were for the caliper. Turns out it was the 2 bolts circled in the picture you posted. I did take off the plastic rivets and checked the other 2 but they were tight. The 2 outside the shroud were not loose enough to turn with fingers, but they turned 1/4 turn if not more with a wrench.

I test drove it around the block and didn't notice the clunk in places where I noticed it earlier in the day. I hope that was really it and will check back in if it didn't work

THANK YOU ALL!

Thank you all so much for the pictures a guidance! My 2019 was making a clunk that sounded like suspension when going over bumps turning into and out of driveways.. not all the time but felt like it was when the suspension was compressed. So pretty much a bump and not a dip or pothole. I have been looking and inspecting the suspension as I started noticing it after a brake job, which was weird because the only bolts loosened were for the caliper. Turns out it was the 2 bolts circled in the picture you posted. I did take off the plastic rivets and checked the other 2 but they were tight. The 2 outside the shroud were not loose enough to turn with fingers, but they turned 1/4 turn if not more with a wrench.

I test drove it around the block and didn't notice the clunk in places where I noticed it earlier in the day. I hope that was really it and will check back in if it didn't work

THANK YOU ALL!
You can get the two under the plastic cover by popping the plastic rivets and getting them with a 12mm combination wrench by slipping it under the plastic cover. The important ones are the 4 bolts on each side on the strut towers.

You can get the two under the plastic cover by popping the plastic rivets and getting them with a 12mm combination wrench by slipping it under the plastic cover. The important ones are the 4 bolts on each side on the strut towers.
Yup. I got to them that way. They were just not loose

Mine ended up being my subframe was hitting the body. They loosened all the subframe bolts and greased the alignment pins, repositioned the subframe and tightened it all back up, then did an alignment because it changes things. 2 months and it's been no creak.

Back