2017 CX-5 Driver's Seat Bolster - Rubbing

CLN

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD Premium
The driver's seat bolster on my 2017 is quite close to the center console and can rub/squeak in turns. Not a major deal, but I noticed the driver's seat bolster is very close while the passenger's​ seat is not.

Is this a center console design decision (are they perhaps angling it towards the driver)? Or, is my driver's seat inappropriately close? Curious if others have noticed the discrepancy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The driver's seat bolster on my 2017 is quite close to the center console and can rub/squeak in turns. Not a major deal, but I noticed the driver's seat bolster is very close while the passenger's​ seat is not.

Is this a center console design decision (are they perhaps angling it towards the driver)? Or, is my driver's seat inappropriately close? Curious if others have noticed the discrepancy.

not sure if it's the same issue, but I've noticed on my 2016.5 the gap between bolster and rubbing against center console sidewall depends on how far up I move my seat, when I have no front passengers, I move the front passenger seat very forward so the kids can get in easier in the 2nd row, when I do that the leather rubs against the center console, when I have a front passenger and move the seat back there is a considerable gap between bolster and center console, that's what you may be experiencing..... try moving driver seat back and see if the bolster moves away from center console sidewall.

Last edited:
Again I would say its better to have a common place for 17 MY issues that can be discussed and solutions TSB's etc. Posted.
We are going to have tons of these threads and information will be spread thin.

Request to mods. Right now I see - Fuel neck filler, cooling fan and this thread along with some other thread on Dash popping out, DRLs running full headlight instead of just the halo's.
Would be nice to have all info in a single thread for new owners to benefit.

Last edited:
wow, actually that doesn't look right, that's an interference fit, I can't imagine Mazda designers intended the design to be like that biased towards the driver, more like it should be equal spacing for both passenger and driver, the interference would be rubbing against each other on every turn, eventually the leather will wear out

maybe take a quick trip to dealer and check out other CX-5's in the showroom and see if other CX-5's are like that

from the promo picture, it's looks to be even and centered ? unless as you angle the seat back closer to steering wheel the more interference you get ?

Last edited:
Here are a couple more pictures, from the back: https://goo.gl/photos/1mjtuRN7j4Tmtd4WA

This Consumer Report's photo (below) looks slightly similar in regards to driver's seat being closer. If I simply touch the bolster on my driver's seat it rub, no can do on passenger seat.

CR-Cars-Inline-2017-Mazda-CX-5-seat-down-03-17

Agreed, the CR photo seems to suggest the same. In the 2017 CX-5 press kit Mazda boasts about its design that allows "driver sitting directly behind the steering wheel" and criticizes CX-5 competitors where driver may "feel off-center" (relative to steering wheel I guess, due to the context). Not sure if the problem you're having is a resulting compromise due to the said design.

shoot, you are right, I see it now, the gap if bigger on the passenger side, maybe that's just the way it's suppose to be,

if the squeak really bothers you, maybe get some good leather conditioner and rub it in that area to reduce friction and eliminate the squeak

OP, you could try loosening the driver seat bolts and sliding the seat as far to the left as possible and tightening everything back down again. I had a similar issue in my Accord and moving the seat just a fraction of an inch was enough to eliminate the issue completely.

Definitely seems like it has to do with the seat being centered with the steering column. It was something they mentioned as not being very common among other cars.

I hadn't noticed it, but now that I looked the driver seat is definitely a little closer than the passenger seat. I moved the seat through its entire range of motion though and it never actually touched. The only way I can get the bolster to touch the console is by pushing out on the bolster.

I hadn't noticed it, but now that I looked the driver seat is definitely a little closer than the passenger seat. I moved the seat through its entire range of motion though and it never actually touched. The only way I can get the bolster to touch the console is by pushing out on the bolster.
Yeah, I have to push mine, but only slightly. However, after watching multiple videos, it's seems more common than not.

I took a piece of wax paper and rubbed it on edge of console and bolster. No more squeak when rubbing.

Probably just something that will require leather conditioner every so often.

Again I would say its better to have a common place for 17 MY issues that can be discussed and solutions TSB's etc. Posted.
We are going to have tons of these threads and information will be spread thin.

Request to mods. Right now I see - Fuel neck filler, cooling fan and this thread along with some other thread on Dash popping out, DRLs running full headlight instead of just the halo's.
Would be nice to have all info in a single thread for new owners to benefit.
A single thread? Horrible idea. No one wants to read a 50 page thread.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My wax paper solution quickly wore off. Going to try leather conditioner, but I assume the effects will similarly fade.

I'll show the dealer, eventually, but after seeing driver's seats closer in numerous YouTube videos, I'm hesitant for them to adjust the seat to make it "too far" to the left and then not centered with wheel.

I'm thinking a discreet, conservative application of black felt is in the cars.

Using mine as a reference, the seat shouldn't rub against the centre console. Even when I wiggle around in the seat, it doesn't push the bolstering close enough to touch the console. Definitely something a little misaligned with yours unfortunately.

The same issue with 2018 CX-5 Touring

I am also seeing this on my 2020 Signature CX5. I am noticing when taking corners that the driver's seat is pushing against the centre console and rubbing.

Mine does this too... I did a ghetto-fix and put a hand towel over the center console and between the seat/console on driver and passenger sides.

Back