2017 CX-5 Touring EPB light issue

I've recently bought a 2017 GS(Touring) model and have found that the EPB light blinking with the "P!" light lit up regardless of whether the EPB is engaged or not. (I can hear EPB getting disengaged)

The only way to get the lights to go away is to turn the engine off and start it back up, and then disengage (or engage and then disengage if the EPB was off) the brake...

The only time the EPB light does not blink is if I engage the EPB without pressing down on the brake pedal.

Anyone else come across a similar issue?

I've seen some posts about EPB issues but that seems to be for 2016 or older models, I have a 2017 (JM3KF* vin) which is supposedly not effected by it.

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 11.42.56 PM.png

I've recently bought a 2017 GS(Touring) model and have found that the EPB light blinking with the "P!" light lit up regardless of whether the EPB is engaged or not. (I can hear EPB getting disengaged)

The only way to get the lights to go away is to turn the engine off and start it back up, and then disengage (or engage and then disengage if the EPB was off) the brake...

The only time the EPB light does not blink is if I engage the EPB without pressing down on the brake pedal.

Anyone else come across a similar issue?

I've seen some posts about EPB issues but that seems to be for 2016 or older models, I have a 2017 (JM3KF* vin) which is supposedly not effected by it.

View attachment 298265

How many miles does your 2017 CX-5 have? How old is your battery? Do you still have factory battery? If you haven’t changed the battery since new, go to an auto parts store such as the Auto Zone and do a free load test on your battery.

How many miles does your 2017 CX-5 have? How old is your battery? Do you still have factory battery? If you haven’t changed the battery since new, go to an auto parts store such as the Auto Zone and do a free load test on your battery.
It has 45k miles on it.
I’m not sure about factory battery as I bought the vehicle used but I’m guessing it’s still factory since the mileage is not that high.

I’ll definitely go check out the battery thanks!

It has 45k miles on it.
I’m not sure about factory battery as I bought the vehicle used but I’m guessing it’s still factory since the mileage is not that high.

I’ll definitely go check out the battery thanks!

4A43F155-DB19-427D-8431-F5B6EB8029D7.jpeg

if your battery looks like this, you still have factory Panasonic battery.

⋯ The only time the EPB light does not blink is if I engage the EPB without pressing down on the brake pedal.
BTW, when you enable or disable the EPB, you want your foot on the brake pedal helping the EPB motor to engage or disengage the parking brakes.

I’m surprised the battery would be the problem when it’s only 4 years old with 45k miles on it.

is this normal from Mazda? I’m used to batteries lasting for almost 10 years as I come from an old Honda.
Battery is the easiest thing to check and replace. When my factory Panasonic battery was getting weaker to start the engine after 5 years and 8 months of service, my EPB warning light was on and couldn’t disable or enable the EPB until I shut the engine off and restart the engine. Once a new battery was installed, the EPB problem was gone.

Many modern vehicles (certainly not just Mazda) go through batteries quickly. Well, the batteries will still start the vehicle and run some systems, but even a small voltage drop under load can start throwing codes. They aren’t your father’s Honda anymore.

I have no idea if the battery is the cause of the OP’s issue, but regardless he should have the battery load tested to confirm its condition. Auto stores like AutoZone will do this for free. A full electronic load test is required, not just a voltage check.

Battery is the easiest thing to check and replace. When my factory Panasonic battery was getting weaker to start the engine after 5 years and 8 months of service, my EPB warning light was on and couldn’t disable or enable the EPB until I shut the engine off and restart the engine. Once a new battery was installed, the EPB problem was gone.
Thanks I got the battery checked out with load test and they said it's still in good condition... Any other potential cause for this?

Thanks I got the battery checked out with load test and they said it's still in good condition... Any other potential cause for this?
Unfortunately if the battery is not the cause, there’re more to be involved to resolve the issue. The problem is the EPB control module is an independent device which seem to be not sending the error code to PCM and display the CEL. This means you can’t use usual OBDII code reader to find out the code which triggered the EPB warning light. And only Mazda dealer has the computer device to check the EPB control module and read the error code out of it. So a trip to Mazda dealer may be inevitable. Once the dealer gets the code from EPB module, they’ll tell you the cost of fixing the problem, and hopefully the problem is not from expensive EPB control module itself.

A final effort to avoid spending $$ for diagnosis of your EPB problem is to disconnect the cable from the negative post on battery for a reset.

Back