2017 CX-5 Roof Rail compatibility & analysis paralysis

Hi folks, just bought my first Mazda and trying to figure out the most efficient way to setup for cargo box and bike carrying.

I‘m already pretty invested in a Yakima RailGrabber system that mounted to RAISED rails previously. Trying to figure if it would possibly work on the 2017‘s FLUSH rails (which I would need to install), or if I am stuck starting out with an entirely new tower/mount system. In which case, lots of options but starting over gets pricy quick.

Looking to be able to mount 2-3 bikes and a cargo box (not necessarily at same time).

Appreciate any insight and experience here.

Thanks

For the bikes, hands down, the most efficient way to transport them is with a hitch mounted bike carrier.

Do both, the roof rack and the hitch.

Looking to be able to mount 2-3 bikes and a cargo box (not necessarily at same time).
If you're not needing to transport both at the same time, then the solution is a no-brainer...

Buy a hitch-mounted bike rack AND and hitch-mounted cargo carrier.
- Much easier to use (instead of heaving all your stuff onto the roof)
- Near zero concern about damaging the paint/body when using
- Better MPG (no wind drag)
- No ugly brackets permanently attached to your roof
- Can be fully removed when not being used (which is 90%+ of the time)

Hmmm, so may be time to cut losses on the Yak rack. If starting fresh is there a specific hitch based system you recommend for CX-5? So many options out there.

Are you just a recreational user of this stuff?
If so, then it doesn't really matter.
Anything you buy should be capable of hauling a 2 bikes around a handful of times/year.
Same with the cargo carrier.

I'd start with etrailer.com or autoanything.com.
If you want something cheap, check out Harbor Freight.

Are you just a recreational user of this stuff?
If so, then it doesn't really matter.
Anything you buy should be capable of hauling a 2 bikes around a handful of times/year.
Same with the cargo carrier.

I'd start with etrailer.com or autoanything.com.
If you want something cheap, check out Harbor Freight.

Yea, few road/camping trips a year hopefully where we could do with the extra space. Want to be able to easily remove and store for the 95% of time when we won’t be needing it.

appreciate the tips and links.

How big is the cargo box? They're great for camping when a hitch mounted cargo box would be in the way of the rear hatch.

Cargo boxes for the rear hitch that swing away might work, but they don't appeal to me. I have a rear cargo tray for the hitch that came from eTrailer in halves, I might try using it in an asymmetrical mode by just mounting one half. Then I could still access the rear cargo area.

I have thought about trying to mount my 9cuft rooftop cargo box without using the rails. If I could mount it lower than my OEM rails maybe it would clear my garage door. All it takes is 6M screws to attach about anything you want.

Did you read the thread of the guy that made his rails and crossbars?

Railgrab won't work with the new gen CX5. No way no how. You can reuse the bars but need new towers to fit the flush rail (Ridgeline). You could also do the Baseline tower (no rails needed) which is centered above the doors and would give much better hatch clearance if you have a big cargo box. You don't gain any capacity by using mounting to the rails but it is a cleaner look and less finicky of a fit.
I agree hitch is the way to go for bikes, unless you have to parallel park a lot. If you have the bike mounts already, it'll be cheaper to buy new towers and reuse all the other parts.

Super clear...I was hoping somehow to salvage the existing but new towers seems the way to go while keeping all the rest of the kit. Not going to do 2 systems at this point, so stick with the roof rack for now and possibly look at a hitch in future. Thanks.

Railgrab won't work with the new gen CX5. No way no how. You can reuse the bars but need new towers to fit the flush rail (Ridgeline). You could also do the Baseline tower (no rails needed) which is centered above the doors and would give much better hatch clearance if you have a big cargo box. You don't gain any capacity by using mounting to the rails but it is a cleaner look and less finicky of a fit.
I agree hitch is the way to go for bikes, unless you have to parallel park a lot. If you have the bike mounts already, it'll be cheaper to buy new towers and reuse all the other parts.

Back