2017 CX-5 remote start

Just finished install of remote starter on cx-5. It works very good. Only 4 wires to hook up with buying Mazda specific wire harness. Here are the parts needed.
iDatastart HC3 2-Way Remote Car Starter (HC3452A) - Includes 2 Controllers, 2-Way 1-Mile Range, fits Over 10000+ Vehicles https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
iDatalink ADS-THR-MA3 Factory Fit Installation T-Harness for select 2013+ Mazda https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
iDatalink Weblink updater hardware and cable is required toconnect your computer USB port to the iDatalink module. This device permits software download and iscompatible with all iDatalink products. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Make sure you read instructions several times and follow step by step. If you do it will work perfect. Does not affect existing keyfob operation. Will also let existing keyfob 3 lock press remote start.
I have the weblink updater I will sell for $25 if someone wants it.

Were you able to connect it so the car keeps running when you open the door or does the car turn off?

Fortin and Compustar offer “take over” access. In other words, you can open the door and the car will remain running.

I imagine it’s the same for any of these similar kits.

I have the same system that Wilks installed but mine was done by a retailer. They said the Mazda would turn off when the door is opened and it does, I was just curious if the self install went the same way.

Car stays running. Unlock door, open door, close door and push brake within 45 sec and car stays running. No need to push start/stop.

Huh, I'll try that when I leave work. I have been unlocking with the handle button then when the door opens, it shuts down.

Car stays running. Unlock door, open door, close door and push brake within 45 sec and car stays running. No need to push start/stop.
That’s interesting. In my 2019 with the fortin evo one, you need to press start/stop in order to keep the car running before putting in gear. If you press the brake pedal as soon as you get in the car, it will shut off.

Quick question for those that have installed remote start. Do either Fortin or Compustar offer a solution that comes with a separate remote that then makes carrying the OEM fob unnecessary?

Meaning that you carry the remote start fob and it can lock/unlock, push button start, and remote start without having the OEM fob present?

My 2019 CX-5 GT come with only one OEM fob, and this would be a good alternative to getting a second fob from the dealer.

I know the Fortin has an optional remote - not sure if you can drive the car with it or not. But it's probably more expensive than getting a good used remote off eBay, anyway.

In either case, neither will come with an emergency (physical) key. You'll need to get new ones for that.

Quick question for those that have installed remote start. Do either Fortin or Compustar offer a solution that comes with a separate remote that then makes carrying the OEM fob unnecessary?

Meaning that you carry the remote start fob and it can lock/unlock, push button start, and remote start without having the OEM fob present?

My 2019 CX-5 GT come with only one OEM fob, and this would be a good alternative to getting a second fob from the dealer.
Compustar offers a mobile phone app, called Drone Mobile, that allows remote start/lock/unlock from anywhere (with an Internet connection). It requires an annual subscription. We use it for both of our CX5s. It works very well, and may be a solution for you.

Compustar offers a mobile phone app, called Drone Mobile, that allows remote start/lock/unlock from anywhere (with an Internet connection). It requires an annual subscription. We use it for both of our CX5s. It works very well, and may be a solution for you.

Wouldn't that be somewhat of an issue if you go out in the wilds for a hike, or bike ride, or even a picnic? No cell service = no drive home!

Wouldn't that be somewhat of an issue if you go out in the wilds for a hike, or bike ride, or even a picnic? No cell service = no drive home!
Yes, that's true, at least in regard to the remote start feature.

But it now occurs to me that I may have misunderstood your original question. If you're asking whether Compustar allows the vehicle to be started remotely and then driven, without the OEM fob present, I believe the answer is no. When I start my CX5 remotely, when I enter the vehicle I must depress the brake pedal within 45 seconds after opening the door or the engine will turn off. If I didn't have the fob with me, this "takeover" from the remote wouldn't happen. So, the Compustar Drone Mobile app is not a substitute for the fob.

I'm sorry for my confusion.

I should have clarified also, mine is a Idatastart HC3. When started remotely doesn't seem to matter how you unlock the door, the engine stops immediately once the door is open. You also need the original fob to drive away.

That is a setup configuration of the HC3. I installed to leave run for 45 sec.
Did you do that yourself or was that the way the installer set it up? My installer said the door open was the way it was set up. Maybe that's just the default?

Back