2017 CX-5 Rails

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
Inaugural Post: Howdy.

I've never seen actual roof rails on a 2017. In pictures, they appear to be installed touching the roof along their entire length. Further, they look solid. My question: do the rails have any function without crossbars? Could you, if desperate, throw a Christmas tree on your roof and secure it to the rails with twine? Thanks!

I threw my Xmas tree in the back with the seats folded down. [emoji16]

The rails touch the roof in their full length.
The rails are boxed metal structure. Not solid.
I doubt you can tie anything to the rails w/o the cross bars or any other attachments.

The rails touch the roof in their full length.
The rails are boxed metal structure. Not solid.
I doubt you can tie anything to the rails w/o the cross bars or any other attachments.

Thanks much for the reply. I think this may be a change from previous CX-5's. It's odd that some dealers are offering new CX-5s equipped with rails only, no crossbars, for $400 additional MSRP, when the rails are essentially useless by themselves. Well, they do pocket their margin on the rails.

Thanks much for the reply. I think this may be a change from previous CX-5's. It's odd that some dealers are offering new CX-5s equipped with rails only, no crossbars, for $400 additional MSRP, when the rails are essentially useless by themselves. Well, they do pocket their margin on the rails.

The rails can be coupled with diff kinds of attachments. Hence, sold separately.

The rails can be coupled with diff kinds of attachments. Hence, sold separately.

If you are planning to use them, all is well. It's just different - any other car I've owned had functional rails suitable for tie down, while also allowing for various crossbars and attachments. I think Mazda is going for aesthetically pleasing rails which are functional, but only when used with the right attachments.

I've been frustrated during my search when the dealer has only cars with rails available. I might be able to rationalize it if they had some use by themselves.

Interesting.
All the CX5 at my dealer's lot had no rails installed.
I had to buy them myself and install them.
Some dealers are more into accessorization, and others don't.

Interesting.
All the CX5 at my dealer's lot had no rails installed.
I had to buy them myself and install them.
Some dealers are more into accessorization, and others don't.

Yep. I had a dealer today tell me that they think customers "expect some extras" on higher end cars they buy (and presumably are less concerned with the added cost). So they order things like rails, bumper guards, wheel locks, cargo mats, cargo covers, and all weather mats, some of which are port installed, to meet that need.

I decided to skip the rails until I have a definite need for them.

Worked out a deal today, and will pick up the car Monday, from a dealer that doesn't accessorize much. Woo hoo!

I have at GT that comes w/o rail. After 1 round of car wash and waxing, I am thinking of installing the rails, so that I have something to hold on to when cleaning the roof.

I have at GT that comes w/o rail. After 1 round of car wash and waxing, I am thinking of installing the rails, so that I have something to hold on to when cleaning the roof.

Dang, I thought I had considered everything regarding the rails. Now I'm going to think about your post every time I give her a bath!

LOL. Me too. Cleaning the top is a pain in the arse.

Purchased a set of roof rail from our forum sponsor. Installed it tonight. Took me 1.5 hours. Warning: tools needed did not come in the box. Luckily I have Trox driver. Installation instructions has too small print/font size making them hard to read. But after 1 round I figured out what to do. The rails do not appear as nice as in the promotional photos. Basically the connection holes at the inner vertical surface and the square covers on top stand out. Tomorrow morning I will take a few photos to show.

Last edited:
Purchased a set of roof rail from our forum sponsor. Installed it tonight. Took me 1.5 hours. Warning: tools needed did not come in the box. Luckily I have Trox driver. Installation instructions has too small making them hard to read. But after 1 round I can figure out what to do. The rails do not appear as nice as in the promotional photos. Basically the connection holes and square covers stand out. Tomorrow morning I will take a few photos tobshowbuse

Thanks, looking forward to the pictures

Photos of roof rail

I think the older model's rail looks better.

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Agree, I liked the "Raised" rails better for tie downs. Anthing decent aftermarket?

Last edited:
Back