2017 CX-5 Phone Mount Options

Found it! Yeah too expensive:

Kust Phone Holder for Cx5 Mazda,Wireless Charging Air Vent Adjustable Phone Holder,Mazda Car Vents Holds Mount for Cx-5 2017 2018,Car Phone Mount for iPhone 8 iPhone X,Smartphone for 5.5/6 inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Thanks for digging for this. I had given up.

This item seems to provide a small custom plastic bracket that fits over the top and sides of the hazard light switch between the two center dash vents. It's not clear how it's mounted there, but it seems likely that an adhesive tape is used where it fits against the top of the hazard light switch and the sides of the center vents. I imagine the intent is that you leave this in place permanently. This small bracket, depending on the model you purchase, can accept two types of three-point phone holding brackets, one with a carbon fiber look and one that has a decorative finish similar to that on the vent trim rings, plus a magnetic holder which presumably works with a phone or phone case mounted metal plate. These options can be removed when needed.

I believe the three-point brackets use the weight of the phone to automatically tighten the two side clips against the sides of the phone. It doesn't seem to me that you would be able to turn your phone 90 degrees for a landscape view. You could do that with the magnet based model, though.

The mount seems to have an gimbal adjustment that would allow you to turn the phone toward you, the passenger, etc.

2018 MY CX-5 owners should note that the smaller bracket may not fit properly because of the air flow control dials present on the center vents of that model (U.S.)

My main concerns would be whether the small bracket could be removed without damaging the dash or vent surfaces, and whether I would like the appearance of the small bracket when I was not in need of the larger bracket such as short trips around town. I might choose the magnetic mount model, except that the metal plates needed on the phone or phone case can interfere with wireless chargers, in my experience, by producing unwanted heat.

The price is on the high side for phone mounts, but they did have to create a custom mount for the 2017 CX-5.

Unfortunately, no one on Amazon has reviewed this yet.

2018 MY CX-5 owners should note that the smaller bracket may not fit properly because of the air flow control dials present on the center vents of that model (U.S.)

It looks like you could use a Dremel and fairly easily, cut out the part that would hit the vent control knobs. Looks great!

In my 2016.5 I am simply using an old clip type attachment. Works great. Keeps it out of the way.

IMG_3460.JPG

Finally found a phone mount that works and is in the perfect spot. I have seen this phone mount before but found a lot of people disappointed that it wouldn't work because there were no open slots to accommodate the vent wheels. This fit my 2018 CX-5 Touring and has the open slots for the vent wheel. Here is the link. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Finally found a phone mount that works and is in the perfect spot. I have seen this phone mount before but found a lot of people disappointed that it wouldn't work because there were no open slots to accommodate the vent wheels. This fit my 2018 CX-5 Touring and has the open slots for the vent wheel. Here is the link. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I agree with you that this mount puts your phone in the right place.

Question: Does this attach with adhesive tape? Have you given any thought to how you would remove it?

Though no claim is made, this should fit the 2017 CX-5, the only difference being there are no flow adjust wheels to fit through the slots. The adjust wheels are only in the 2018 and 2019 models, I believe.

The mount does not use adhesive tape. It does however snap in place. I have not given any thoughts on how I would remove it if I needed to. I would probably use one of those non marring prying tools. Other than that I'm extremely happy with the mount. The others I've seen put the mount in odd places and not very attractive or convenient.

Love my new Mazda CX-5 Signature, Miss Birdie ZoomZoom. But what is your latest and greatest recommendation for a PHONE MOUNT?! Would prefer not to block emergency light switch or put in front of hot air vent. Dont want to use sticky tape.And wouldnt anything magnetic be bad for the phone? But my iPhone 8 bouncing all over Birdie on a long drive today was chaos! Thank ❤️ you in advance from Catherine in Santa Monica CA

Love my new Mazda CX-5 Signature, Miss Birdie ZoomZoom. But what is your latest and greatest recommendation for a PHONE MOUNT?! Would prefer not to block emergency light switch or put in front of hot air vent. Don*t want to use sticky tape.And wouldn*t anything magnetic be bad for the phone? But my iPhone 8 bouncing all over Birdie on a long drive today was chaos! Thank ** you in advance from Catherine in Santa Monica CA

You're asking a lot if you also want your phone at a good viewing position. The device noted in Post 106 seems to meet your restrictions, except that the hazard light switch is obscured by the phone. It's easy to remove the phone from the mount, however, should you ever need to use the hazard switch.

Vent mounts will typically block some air, but I don't consider it a show stopper. I don't worry about hot air coming from the center dash vents, because hot air should be directed toward your feet, where it can naturally rise. The car's Auto setting does this for you. Cool air coming from those vents won't harm the phone, and might even be good for it.

In general, the steel plate which attaches to your phone or case, and works with the mount's magnet, will interfere with a wireless charging system. This is because the wireless charging field induces currents in the plate, which cause it and the phone to get hot. Otherwise, the magnetic field from the magnet doesn't hurt the phone.

You might also consider a suction cup mount which attaches to the windshield.

Have you tried Car Play or Android Auto?

Thank you sandwichmaker and CTAguchi. Im going to order one right now. To answer your question sandwichmaker, believe that CarPlay turns on when I connect my iPhone to my charger cord. I really need to sit down with the manual and figure the whole system out. It seems like when I plug in my iPhone, I can only play my own iPhone music, not her example Syrius Radio. Ive got to be wrong about that! We will see! And the only address I have on my navigation system are home and office: My salesman put those in for me when I bought the car, and it seemed to take him quite a long time and be very clunky. I dont have time to enter addresses when I get in the car before I leave! It seems like the system should be able to have access to my contacts through the iPhone?But again, I need to sit down with that manual!

I like the docks that have the adhesive suction cup and place it on the lower left drivers side of the front window. Up high enough so I can easily reach it but that it's out of the way and not to obstruct my view. I prefer to set my phone to the horizontal position and use the Car Home Ultra app.

Here's the one I was using with my Note 9: https://ibolt.co/navigator (scroll down to the cPro NFC Combo Car Dock). Been using iBolt since the Samsung S3 or S4. They have Apple options.

I just moved to this so I'm using magnetic wireless charging and don't need to undock (just grab and go): https://www.xvida.com/products/universal-p2-wireless-charging-suction-mount-for-smartphones. They have Apple options. They have a matching case so it works well with the dock. They have magnetic plates if they don't have your case but do state that to get the magnetic case for you phone if they have it as it works better. However the cable is only 1 meter and my charge outlet (for fast charging) is in the center console so I had to buy a long charging cable that will handle fast charging.

Last edited:
Love my new Mazda CX-5 Signature, Miss Birdie ZoomZoom. But what is your latest and greatest recommendation for a PHONE MOUNT?! Would prefer not to block emergency light switch or put in front of hot air vent. Don*t want to use sticky tape.And wouldn*t anything magnetic be bad for the phone? But my iPhone 8 bouncing all over Birdie on a long drive today was chaos! Thank ** you in advance from Catherine in Santa Monica CA

Not affiliated in any way, but check out proclipusa.com - I've bought from them before for my previous mazda6 and it was an awesome purchase - no damage or drilling or anything done to the car, AND they have 2 (sometimes 3) different positions where you can put the phone.

Yes, one of the options partially blocks (partially) a vent, but you can always just close that one vent off.

Thank you BOTH MacMC78 and SBMONGOOSE! I didnt like the idea of sticking anything on Birdies lovely new dashboard, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I ordered sandwichmakes vent-adhering one for $14.95 yesterday. But the idea of not blocking the vent - and possible easier access 😉TBD? - sounds attractive. So Im thinking of buying SBMONGOOSEs suction model too. Ill just check out their return policy first! So it looks like maybe we will find out which is my winner of the two?! Hey, SBMONGOOSE, how long a charger cable did you purchase? XVIDA sells a 2-meter. That should do it, right? Now does the cable hang over your body? How do you keep the cable out of the way? Anyway thank you all you dear generous brilliant Mazdites! Happy Spring from Catherine (Birdies mama) in Santa Monica

Thank you BOTH MacMC78 and SBMONGOOSE! I didn*t like the idea of sticking anything on Birdie*s lovely new dashboard, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I ordered sandwichmakes vent-adhering one for $14.95 yesterday. But the idea of not blocking the vent - and possible easier access **TBD? - sounds attractive. So I*m thinking of buying SBMONGOOSE*s suction model too. I*ll just check out their return policy first! So it looks like maybe we will find out which is my winner of the two?! Hey, SBMONGOOSE, how long a charger cable did you purchase? XVIDA sells a 2-meter. That should do it, right? Now does the cable hang over your body? How do you keep the cable out of the way? Anyway thank you all you dear generous brilliant Mazdites! Happy Spring from Catherine (Birdie*s mama) in Santa Monica

I bought a 10' (need about 8') right angled cable given how far I'm going: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). $12.99 for a 3pk of 2.4A fast charging cables. Arrived today and installed it. So, I'm going from the left side of the windshield, then down and I route it through the steering column opening and under the steering wheel (I don't need all 10' and the extra I simply used a twist tie and tucked the excess under the steering wheel) and over to the plastic piece that's to the right of your right leg (while sitting in the driver's seat - it pops off and then snaps back into place..you'll see if you go this route) and then it gets tucked under and comes back toward the center console. I then bring it up about where the seat belt latch is and goes into the arm console. There's a small notch placed there already allowing me to close the console with a cable routing into it.

The phone says it's charging while on the Xvida magnetic charge dock (that's a green LED you see illuminated in the photo below so you know it's getting power. I'm told this is not an issue for the car battery as the LED is very low powered). The test will be to see if it can charge my Note 9 using Google's GPS while out and about and that's my goal. I don't want to drain the battery while in use and on the charger.

Also, I found a code to use at Xvida's site to save $ on the order as these do cost more. But if it does what it says and does it well I'm okay with that. It does come with a 2 x 2.4A USB port charger and a 1m 2.4A cable.

Here's a photo below. Don't ask me why but the photo gets flipped so it looks like this dock is on the passenger side instead of the drivers side. I then tried flipping the image myself and then uploading (thinking the message editor here would revert it) but it doesn't help. Ha! Anyway, you can get an idea in the photo below even though the image gets modified automatically.

attachment.php

Attachments

• xvida.jpg
    xvida.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 1,082
Last edited:
Just in case it inspires anyone else, here's my setup in my 2019:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Already had the Proclip phone holder from my last vehicle, so just had to purchase the KF gen CX-5 specific mount from them (10% coupon helped there). For my own needs, I prefer the phone within reach even if with CarPlay I need to access it less frequently. I took the one photo from the driver's vantage point--it doesn't really block the screen with the phone in place, and it sits far enough out from the vent to not cause me worry. Also, I live in South FL, so heat usage will be extremely limited.

I initially started with just a loose Lightning cable running from the USB connector in the center storage area to the phone in the mount, but that eventually got too annoying and was tired of passengers grabbing it and going "What's this??". (headshake

So, I decided to run it through the console itself and drill a hole in the front storage under the climate controls. Mostly easy-peasy--the part with the USB connections/accessory socket easily pops out from the top edge rearwards, and there are already notches at the top of that for where I could fit the cable through when snapped back into place. I did have to slightly enlarge one of those for the more heavy duty Anker cable I am using. The removal of the console pieces was also easy (side decoration panels lift up and rearwards, and the remaining pieces forward also pop out very easily, and no need to actually remove the shift knob--you can just rotate the shift plate assembly out of the way). I did excessively damage my original front storage piece when trying to drill in place, but a new replacement was under $15 and I was able to instead melt a much cleaner hole through the new part and use a rubber grommet to protect the cord and visually provide a better finish. Quite happy with the final mod! And I essentially recreated the same setup I had in my 2016, which I had come to prefer. Main issue was that the CP/AA & USB connectors are now back in the console box and not up front under the climate controls.

Last edited:
I like the docks that have the adhesive suction cup and place it on the lower left drivers side of the front window. Up high enough so I can easily reach it but that it's out of the way and not to obstruct my view. I prefer to set my phone to the horizontal position and use the Car Home Ultra app.

Here's the one I was using with my Note 9: https://ibolt.co/navigator (scroll down to the cPro NFC Combo Car Dock). Been using iBolt since the Samsung S3 or S4. They have Apple options.

I just moved to this so I'm using magnetic wireless charging and don't need to undock (just grab and go): https://www.xvida.com/products/universal-p2-wireless-charging-suction-mount-for-smartphones. They have Apple options. They have a matching case so it works well with the dock. They have magnetic plates if they don't have your case but do state that to get the magnetic case for you phone if they have it as it works better. However the cable is only 1 meter and my charge outlet (for fast charging) is in the center console so I had to buy a long charging cable that will handle fast charging.

This Xvidia unit is interesting because it's the first device I've seen which claims both magnetic attachment using a plate/card that fits between the your case and phone, AND support of wireless charging at the same time. The problem I've had in the past with that configuration is excessive heating of the plate/card and phone. Perhaps the fan built into the Xvidia mount mitigates the excess heat. They also say that their plate/card does not work with a 3rd party mount magnet. Why not?

I really liked this mount from previous car and moved to new CX-5. Only thing that bothers me is that I had to mount where the passenger seat rail moves so I can't push the seat forward all the way. But, since I am driving alone most of time, it shouldn't be big deal.

I really liked this mount from previous car and moved to new CX-5. Only thing that bothers me is that I had to mount where the passenger seat rail moves so I can't push the seat forward all the way. But, since I am driving alone most of time, it shouldn't be big deal.

Hey I sort of like this design actually. Any link to this type of mount?

Back