2017 CX-5 New pass side mirror, blind spot doesn't work

Busted the passenger side mirror on my 2017 CX-5 Touring. Though busted up the BSM still worked. The dealer quoted me $550 plus labor. I bought a replacement for $130 and ordered just the matching color cover from the dealer for $54. Went to a body shop who had done some work for me and they charged me $150 to install it. BSM didn't work after install. Part #MA1321198 (which I received) matches the Mazda #KB8C69121A. In confirming the part number the parts guy at the dealership said the BSM had to be "recalibrated". I don't see any other references to recalibration. If the mirror is right for the trim shouldn't it be plug and play?

If your old one was still working they could have put the glass part in the new housing. Recalibration is required if you replace/paint the rear quarter panel where the radar unit is located.

The entire mirror assembly was damaged but no other damage to the car. Again, though not salvageable the unit was still alerting. No damage to rear and it’s clean. Since the install I have turned BSM off through the menu and restarted- no luck. Is anything needed beyond connecting the new BSM capable mirror?

The entire mirror assembly was damaged but no other damage to the car. Again, though not salvageable the unit was still alerting. No damage to rear and it’s clean. Since the install I have turned BSM off through the menu and restarted- no luck. Is anything needed beyond connecting the new BSM capable mirror?
There’s nothing for BSM on the side view mirror other than a LED to light up the BSM icon. There’s nothing to recalibrate when you replace only the side mirror like GAXIBM said. When you said the BSM is not working, do you mean the BSM icon only on the replacement mirror doesn’t light up? If that is the case, I suspect the wiring didn’t get connected correctly by the body shop、the wiring got damaged、or the after-market mirror you got is defective.

The BSM shows up as “Off” on the dash and none of it works. I tried turning it off/back on thru the menu and off/turn car off- restart- to no avail. I’m thinking I will re-order and do the install myself. Just worried about stripping grommets in the door panel and swapping the cover without mishap.

@GoManGo, any luck with this? I just did the same side mirror replacement, also 2017 CX5 Touring. Side mirror is a different part but double checked that it should work TRQ MRA09433. BSM, no heat, no power fold.
I installed it (not difficult, took 30min total) but the BSM off light stays on and I can't get it to work. Tried turning it on/off using settings, tried a 15min battery cable disconnect.
Any ideas? Is this a reset issue or an aftermarket part issue?

@GoManGo, any luck with this? I just did the same side mirror replacement, also 2017 CX5 Touring. Side mirror is a different part but double checked that it should work TRQ MRA09433. BSM, no heat, no power fold.
I installed it (not difficult, took 30min total) but the BSM off light stays on and I can't get it to work. Tried turning it on/off using settings, tried a 15min battery cable disconnect.
Any ideas? Is this a reset issue or an aftermarket part issue?
The outside rearview mirrors have only the LED BSM icon indicator and has nothing to do with BSM’s functionality. I don’t believe you need any ”reset” to BSM control module just because you replaced the mirror. Since you replaced the mirror by yourself, you should still have damaged original mirror. If you can’t turn the BSM on after the side mirror replacement (“BSM OFF” indicator in dash keeps on), you can always try to connect the old mirrror with only the wire connector and see if the BSM can be turned on again. Make sure you not only turn the BSM off, but also disconnect the negative on the battery during the process.

If you verified your old mirror can work with the BSM, you should contact the vender TRQ or 1A-Auto questioning their mirror. The OEM outside mirror of your type is not much more expensive. It’s $159.13 Door Mirror - Mazda (KB8C-69-121A) at realmazdaparts.com.

8EA615C0-C731-44C2-B875-2AE3ED4F44BB.jpeg

F84B56D2-0F08-4007-B723-BEC9704DE699.jpeg

Thanks. My daughter busted the original mirror by hitting a mailbox (fortunately only the mirror was damaged - don’t worry the mailbox survived!). The BSM off light was lit even before I did the replacement.
I certainly did consider the OEM part at that price until I checked further and realized that the OEM is body only, missing many other parts to complete the assembly such as the mirror, cover, etc. so a full assembly is indeed much more expensive.
Maybe worth it if aftermarket doesn’t work properly… but I am not yet convinced it’s the part itself.
Understanding that the side mirror only has the light for BSM is helpful. Now I’m confused as to why BSM just stopped worked after hitting the mailbox. There must be some connection to the side mirror? Perhaps an error was tripped?

Thanks. My daughter busted the original mirror by hitting a mailbox (fortunately only the mirror was damaged - don’t worry the mailbox survived!). The BSM off light was lit even before I did the replacement.
I certainly did consider the OEM part at that price until I checked further and realized that the OEM is body only, missing many other parts to complete the assembly such as the mirror, cover, etc. so a full assembly is indeed much more expensive.
Maybe worth it if aftermarket doesn’t work properly… but I am not yet convinced it’s the part itself.
Understanding that the side mirror only has the light for BSM is helpful. Now I’m confused as to why BSM just stopped worked after hitting the mailbox. There must be some connection to the side mirror? Perhaps an error was tripped?

Hi,

I am in the same situation as described by kcwpg. I hit a deer and completely lost the LH mirror. I bought an after market one that came with BSM, but plugging it in, I am still getting the "BSM Off" warning light on the dash.

kcwpg, did you ever find a solution? Also, by "wpg" are you by any chance in Winnipeg?

I have a similar issue with BSM. Turns out my used 2019 CX-5 has aftermarket mirrors, discovered by Mazda dealership. They say the mirrors do not have correct resistive values, so the BSM will not talk to them. They say many aftermarket mirrors have this problem. I agree with others that there should be nothing more than a dumb light, but there are something like 9 wires, so I can believe there is something more complicated going on. Anyway, dealer recommends getting either used mirrors (except junkyards don't have any these days), or new ones ($$).

Hi,

I am in the same situation as described by kcwpg. I hit a deer and completely lost the LH mirror. I bought an after market one that came with BSM, but plugging it in, I am still getting the "BSM Off" warning light on the dash.

kcwpg, did you ever find a solution? Also, by "wpg" are you by any chance in Winnipeg?
Sorry, I missed this message when you sent it. Yes born and raised in Winnipeg but left after graduating from UofW! Been in the
US longer than my time in wpg now. Some day may end up back in Canada..

As with the last person who posted here, I did ask the dealer finally and got the same response. Difference in resistance causing the bug and only solution is to replace with dealer OEM part. I passed but someday may change my mind and look for a used junkyard part. But even if you find one, what’s to say you don’t get bad luck with another aftermarket part?

Back