2017 CX-5 GT lurching forward

:
21CX5 Signature
I have only 2200.00 miles on the odometer as of right now.

The problem I have currently having is: Vehicle is Lurching/Jumping/Jolting/Jerking forward when it is shifting from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st gears. Especially when it switches from 2nd to 1st (to Example: when slowing down at the stop light or stop sign), it fills like someone slightly tabs the car at the back bumper and the car switches to gear and slightly accelerates forward. I took the car to the dealer and the Technician/Mechanic went for a test drive and also did diagnostic test on transmission and said that the car works as designed. Did anyone here experienced similar problem?

Last edited:
If I were you....
1. ask for test-driving another new vehicle to see if they are the same as yours
2. if not, ask them to fix it. Likely, resetting back to factory settings might work. To do that, pull the negative terminal of the battery. Wait for 30 secs.
See if this change the behavior of the transmission.

Oh, pulling the (-) terminal will make the car lose all the memory/user settings.
Just to be sure you know what is involved here. Even the auto-close windows (which is easy to set it again).

Test drove another CX-5 and did not experienced this issue on it. Dealer said that they send all the test results to Mazda factory, and Mazda factory told the dealer that everything working as it should and Mazda does not recommend to do reset at this time .......it is real frustrating!

I'm having weird issues with my transmission too, I have a 2017 with about 6k miles on it now.

The gear changes when slowing down have always been noticeable but not too bad, feels like you are saying like someone taps you slightly. I've had more issues accelerating. 1 - 2 shift was always really rough, felt like a noticeable lag in power and then a jerk as second gear engaged. Also when slowing down close to a stop if i start accelerating the engine will rev and then i'll get a big clunk and a jerk forward.

I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago and they confirmed that it wasn't shifting correctly and reset transmission learning. It was waaaay better after I got it back, but the more I drive it the more it seems to learn these problems back and is getting worse so I don't know what to think yet, it's still better than it was before.

-Brian

I also asked dealer to reset my transmission, but the dealer reply was that after Mazda reviewed all the diagnostic tests and codes that dealer submitted to Mazda, they do not recommend resetting transmission learning at this time because it works as designed.

-Jack

Nothing bad will happen if you pull the (-) terminal except that you will roll everything back to factory settings including the transmission programming...
No warranty voided. Wait 30 secs, put it back.

Nothing bad will happen if you pull the (-) terminal except that you will roll everything back to factory settings including the transmission programming...

agreed, nothing bad but not your emissions data will reset and become "not ready" so if you have an inspection coming up make sure you have enough time to reset with enough drive cycles, some of them are a pain to become ready, there's a certain driving cycle pattern that the computer needs to see before the OBDII becomes ready.

not a good idea to reset your ECU and totally unnecessary given his situation.

I have almost 50,000 miles on our Mazda 6 and the transmission has been working perfectly since day one.

to those of you who are experiencing transmission issues, how did you drive the car when it was new?

agreed, nothing bad but not your emissions data will reset and become "not ready" so if you have an inspection coming up make sure you have enough time to reset with enough drive cycles, some of them are a pain to become ready, there's a certain driving cycle pattern that the computer needs to see before the OBDII becomes ready.

No inspection is CA. Did not consider that aspect. Good point to watch out for that if you are in states such as TX.

Can you please explain why it is not good idea to reset ECU in my situation?

Well you could try, but hard resetting the ecu like that is never a good idea in general. You could potentially run into electrical issues and the car wont run right for some time because the ecu needs to adapt to everything again.

I suppose you could try if you have no other options left, but I doubt thats going to do anything. You need to scan your car for codes first and see if there might just be something wrong with the transmission, like a faulty solenoid.

I have only 2200.00 miles on the odometer as of right now.

The problem I have currently having is: Vehicle is Lurching/Jumping/Jolting/Jerking forward when it is shifting from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st gears. Especially when it switches from 2nd to 1st (to Example: when slowing down at the stop light or stop sign), it fills like someone slightly tabs the car at the back bumper and the car switches to gear and slightly accelerates forward. I took the car to the dealer and the Technician/Mechanic went for a test drive and also did diagnostic test on transmission and said that the car works as designed. Did anyone here experienced similar problem?
If I were you I'd skip Mazda dealer and call Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations directly. Ask the rep to create a case and tell him/her you have tried other brand-new 2017 CX-5's and they don't have the same behavior on transmission like yours! Emphasize that this issue from transmission and dealer's attitude of doing nothing is unacceptable for a new vehicle with only 2,200 miles! MNAO needs to do something helping you to resolve the issue.

I agree with GJ-Molestor, a hard rest on transmission would not help in your case, as proved by your dealer consulting with Mazda. Even if a reset may help, it should be done by your Mazda dealer, not by yourself, so that they have a history of complete service record in their system.

Well you could try, but hard resetting the ecu like that is never a good idea in general. You could potentially run into electrical issues and the car won’t run right for some time because the ecu needs to adapt to everything again.

I suppose you could try if you have no other options left, but I doubt that’s going to do anything. You need to scan your car for codes first and see if there might just be something wrong with the transmission, like a faulty solenoid.

Dealer scanned for codes, said did not found anything wrong with transmission.

First of all, I have experienced what you're talking about. It's not exactly abnormal unless it's excessive. You have to keep in mind that the SkyActiv transmission does not use a tq converter, effectively, above 10mph. This means drivetrain momentum is more directly transmitted to you, the driver/passenger and the vehicle as a whole. It's what makes it feel more responsive than most slush-boxes to minor throttle inputs.

If I were you I'd skip Mazda dealer and call Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations directly. Ask the rep to create a case and tell him/her you have tried other brand-new 2017 CX-5's and they don't have the same behavior on transmission like yours! Emphasize that this issue from transmission and dealer's attitude of doing nothing is unacceptable for a new vehicle with only 2,200 miles! MNAO needs to do something helping you to resolve the issue.

I agree with GJ-Molestor, a hard rest on transmission would not help in your case, as proved by your dealer consulting with Mazda. Even if a reset may help, it should be done by your Mazda dealer, not by yourself, so that they have a history of complete service record in their system.

Called Mazda Customer Experience Center spoke with rep he created the case, asked me if I have visited dealer for this issue, I said yes, after that rep contacted the dealer then he informed me that after dealer did all the tests and scanned for all the codes and did not find a problem. The conclusion by a dealer and Mazda North American Operation that vehicle working as designed.

Back