2016 CX-5 steering feel

I’m new to Mazda and to 2008 plus year models of any car. A 2015 Kia Sorento and this 2016 cx5 I now have both Seem to have Steering sensitive characteristics that are odd to me. The cx 5 is a certified pre owned and was factory checked. Steering is too easy or twitchy. I’m always correcting just a hair while driving. Makes for unfun driving. My older 07 Toyota Matrix has a Tight steering. I don’t have to correct all the time and takes a bit more force to make it turn. It’s also more even as it turns and corners in that I don’t have to correct. Is that just how the newer electrical steering feels or is there some alignment specs that would make the steering effort be more and with a less floating feel when going straight?

How much air pressure is in the tires?

Higher pressure might have something to do with the steering feel.

Hey Williemon, welcome. I've got a 2016 CX-5 and haven't experienced any of the symptoms that you have. My steering is rock solid and a pleasure to drive. Besides checking air pressure as Mazdiod2 mentioned, I'd consider a 4-wheel alignment if your dealer can't provide proof it's already been done. Something isn't right. The electric steering of the CX-5 is a strength, not a weakness.

It could be related to electric steering. Have your alignment checked/adjusted. Start with all your tires set to the same pressure and set them at the door plackard cold pressure. Then, adjust UP, when cold, until the ride and responsiveness suits you.

Also, remember Mazdas are meant to be and feel athletic or sporty. It should always respond quicker than a (gag) mini-van.

It’s the electric steering sensitivity. I came from two vehicles with electric steering and I still took me a few days to get used to the sensitivity. Now its just fine and fun to drive. It’s likely the drivers and not the CXs.

BTW, CPO vehicles are not “factory checked.” They may, or may not, be better that the average used car.

Thanks for the ideas. Tire pressure has been checked by me and is set to the spec on the door tag. Yea the sporty feel is a plus but it’s not right if you have to always correct every split second or are always over doing a turn. I’ve been in sporty cars before and they responded very well and accurate. I’m thinking this one is not aligned as best it could be but I was not sure just what to say to the spring shop when I take it there. A friend Just mentioned to me this week that this spring shop has in instances modified the suspension to allow adjustments to camber or castor ( can’t remember which) in order to dial in better steering feel. Not sure that would be required for this Mazda. My main question I guess was if factory settings would give me the feel I’m looking for or if these Mazda’s have to be modified to get the best steering feel.

It’s the electric steering sensitivity. I came from two vehicles with electric steering and I still took me a few days to get used to the sensitivity. Now its just fine and fun to drive. It’s likely the drivers and not the CXs.

BTW, CPO vehicles are not “factory checked.” They may, or may not, be better that the average used car.

Ditto. If the 2016 is anything like the 2020, it is designed to be sporty with, among other things, light and quick steering. I agree that's a plus, not a minus, but to each his own.

I have noticed it does wander a tiny bit at expressway speeds, "just a hair" to use the OP's phrase. I do not sense that as any kind of problem. If it's more than "just a hair" at times take note of the wind. It stands to reason it will be more prone to be buffeted than a lower-to-the-ground sedan or a longer wheelbase vehicle or one with heavy steering--been there, done that.

I would not waste $100 on a wheel alignment unless the vehicle has used tires with uneven wear in which you should get an alignment when you swap in new ones.

I like the light and nimble feel my 2016 has. I put a new set of tires on last summer and I noticed the steering seemed a little 'twitchy' but I think that will go away as the tires wear in a little.

I would n't get an alignment unless there was a strong pull or irregular tire wear.

As far as the steering geometry I think more caster will make the steering more self centering. I don't know that camber would do anything but excessive toe-in or toe -out could affect the steering feel.

Since it's a CPO, take it to the dealer you got it from and tell them that you've had that issue with the steering since you got it and that you think it might be an alignment issue. Alignment isn't part of the CPO inspection. This should get them to at least get it up on the alignment rack to get measurements. If it needs adjusting, most dealers wouldn't charge for it (at least the place I work at wouldn't)

⋯ This should get them to at least get it up on the alignment rack to get measurements. If it needs adjusting, most dealers wouldn't charge for it (at least the place I work at wouldn't)
Your previous dealer is an exception. My experience is unless the car is new within a year, the dealer will charge you even just put the car on the alignment machine for a check.

However, OP’s CX-5 is a CPO which has CPO Limited Vehicle Warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles for any repairs, it might be worth a try to get a free check on alignment from a Mazda dealer.

Back