2016 CX-5 rear brake TSB resolution

Honestly CX-5 itself is not too much problem to you, but the dealer service is a problem, so is the Mazda Canada. So dislike Mazda as you wish like me towards VW and BMW, but there’s nothing perfect in the real world. There’s always something even if you have a Lexus.
And therein lies the root of the problem, in my view.
My dealer and Mazda Canada experiences have been less than stellar and satisfactory, and for that reason alone, I will probably move on to a different brand when the time comes.
Maybe there are some good news dealer experiences that posters can share, but just reading this forum over the past three years, it seems to me there are more negative dealer experiences than positive ones.
Maybe we should take a poll.

And therein lies the root of the problem, in my view.
My dealer and Mazda Canada experiences have been less than stellar and satisfactory, and for that reason alone, I will probably move on to a different brand when the time comes.
Maybe there are some good news dealer experiences that posters can share, but just reading this forum over the past three years, it seems to me there are more negative dealer experiences than positive ones.
Maybe we should take a poll.

A poll is a great idea.

A poll is a great idea.
It’s going to be one-sided for poor dealer service, although my Mazda dealer is the best among all car brands I’ve owned. Still I took my CX-5 in only for warranty service, nothing else.

For those of us who are dissatisfied with Canadian Mazda Dealers, express that directly to Mazda Canada. Tell them (respectfully) in multiple ways (email, phone, letters, to official social media accounts etc). Your Mazda Dealer experience shouldn’t be like this of course but please note Mazdas247 is not a place to rant and spread negativity, we’re also not Mazda...What we are is a Community that helps people learn about and enjoy Mazdas.

As a note, I have never had an issue in previous years with my protégé, Mazda 3 hatch, 323 or b4000. I even liked the cx5 so much I dropped 40gs CAD on it brand new with a 4 yr/unlimited km's warranty.

Unfortunately, it would seem I'm stuck with these faulty calipers until I retire the car or sell it.
Actually you don’t have to. These 2 rear disk calipers are not too expensive to replace. I was fully prepared to replace 2 rear calipers by myself had my Mazda dealer not wanted to honor the TSB. The parts needed are:

CX-5
Part NamePart NumberQ’tyMSRPSale Price
CALIPER (R)KAY0-26-61XA1$178.51$127.44
CALIPER (L)KAY0-26-71XA1$181.13$129.31
GASKET9956-21-0004$2.78$2.09
SEAL KIT, MOTORKAY0-26-44Z2$15.10$11.33
PAD SUB SET,KAY0-26-48Z1$80.78$58.64
PLATE, DISCK011-26-251B /
K011-26-251C
2$99.95$72.55

I had to argue with my dealer about this as well. Turns out there is a VIN range and the latest 16.5s (what I had at the time)were not included in the TSB.

My issues(overhearing passenger brakes) were a result of mileage and corrosion. I replaced the pads and rotors and didn’t have any issues for the 20k I had it before trading.

It’s not covered under powertrain. If you’re out of warranty, can’t expect them to do anything about it.

Anyone with a 2016 cx5 and EPB is being lied to about their rear brakes. The dealer and mazda canada has blamed mine on "rusty brake pins", which is total bs as the pins have gotten lubed every year as i had to replace the brake pads every year and rotors twice. One of my coworkers has the same car but only 40k kms and they did the brakes once under warranty and have now told him the second time he needed rear brakes that the problem is due to using the "enhanced cruise control" system. lolol, guess the front brakes are just along for the ride then? Or maybe their unqualified service staff just don't know what brake bias is.

They are outright making these excuses up to avoid paying for the faulty calipers.

I will never buy a mazda product again and wouldn't recommend these crapmobiles to my worst enemy.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems but your opening statement is simply not true. I have a 2016.5 CX w/EPB and I have zero brake issues and have been lied to by Mazda zero times.

Sounds like you need a different dealership.

It’s going to be one-sided for poor dealer service, although my Mazda dealer is the best among all car brands I’ve owned. Still I took my CX-5 in only for warranty service, nothing else.

I like the idea of a poll because it gives the reader an opportunity to provide "yes/no" type input. We would essentially be asking readers how their Mazda dealer and Mazda Corporate experiences were, so there is equal opportunity for each answer. Most of the time people come to forums searching for answers to problems or to vent/complain about something, it's kind of rare to see someone join up to praise something (though it has happened more often recently).

IMO they should be separate polls as the dealers and the corporate offices are separate entities.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic discussion, let's get back on track. Thanks!

Mine are being fixed now. 32K miles never felt an issue but heard noises and ignored it. Mazda evaluated that pads and rotors are fine and did not warrant replacement. They only replaced the Caliper. I asked my advisor for pics for my reference he said his foreman did not save those.
If s*** hits the fan I can point out that I had insisted this be looked at. What my experience was instead of being upfront about the issue - they have delayed and denied it and said my warranty is out which is not :(. My warranty is over in 12 days.

This TSB has been discussed many times here since Anchorman posted the the latest official document as Mazda had gone through several different fixes and failed. I was lucky that I persuaded the master tech at my Mazda dealer replaced rear brake calipers*rotors*and pads based on this TSB right before my 3-year / 36,000-mile new-car warranty expired although my EPB brake dragging issue at the time was very minimum. I knew my 2016 CX-5 needed newer irevised rear calipers or the problem will be there which would cause noise and early and uneven rear brake pads wear. Some even experienced total lock-up on the highway due to extremely hot rear brake system from continuously dragging. All 2016 CX-5's with EPB assembled before September 9, 2016 will have older version of rear calipers and will have this issue sooner or later.

See the attachment for details:

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

I have 137K on my CX5 2016 and have now the right rear brake scrape noise. Got new rotors and pads. The old pads showed twice the war as the left rear pads. I did the test on the TSB and there are no symptoms of the Emergency Brake not releasing. Should I just get that caliper serviced or replaced? Where would you go? Dealer or trusted mechanic? I am out of warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 137K on my CX5 2016 and have now the right rear brake scrape noise. Got new rotors and pads. The old pads showed twice the war as the left rear pads. I did the test on the TSB and there are no symptoms of the Emergency Brake not releasing. Should I just get that caliper serviced or replaced? Where would you go? Dealer or trusted mechanic? I am out of warranty.
If you’re going to keep your 2016 CX-5 for a while, you should replace the factory rear brake calipers with a pair of revised ones. They’re not that expensive anyway ($178.51(R) and $181.13(L) MSRP). Just make sure the new OEM rear brake calipers have the date code stamped after 9/7/2016.

EPB Caliper Question

You did the test on the TSB and there’re no symptoms of the EPB not releasing. BUT your old right rear pads showed twice the wear as the left rear pads with scraping noise. This’s a typical sigh of EPB dragging and meets the requirement of caliper replacement stated in the TSB (picture in right):

14F4FB3D-713F-4E50-B65F-FB9955825E19.jpeg

If you’re going to keep your 2016 CX-5 for a while, you should replace the factory rear brake calipers with a pair of revised ones. They’re not that expensive anyway ($178.51(R) and $181.13(L) MSRP). Just make sure the new OEM rear brake calipers have the date code stamped after 9/7/2016.

EPB Caliper Question

You did the test on the TSB and there’re no symptoms of the EPB not releasing. BUT your old right rear pads showed twice the wear as the left rear pads with scraping noise. This’s a typical sigh of EPB dragging and meets the requirement of caliper replacement stated in the TSB (picture in right):

View attachment 302258
Thanks for your prompt reply. After examining the brake pads that were removed the ware on both was pretty even. So to my relief, I don’t think I have a caliper issue. I think the problem is the radar cruise control. The backs wore out three times faster than the front pads. So I’m either going to use less cruise control or check the pads more often.

Thanks for your prompt reply. After examining the brake pads that were removed the ware on both was pretty even. So to my relief, I don’t think I have a caliper issue. I think the problem is the radar cruise control. The backs wore out three times faster than the front pads. So I’m either going to use less cruise control or check the pads more often.
it's not the radar cruise control. Most SUVs have rear brake bias today

If you look at my entry today (EPB Caliper Question) you'll see that I have had difficulty getting all the air out. Your mechanic may have stopped before all the air is out, as I have done for now. My brakes work but with some residual air in the system there is too much pedal travel. This is because the air bubbles compress when the brake is applied and that means additional fluid must be moved to fill the volume that was occupied by the original sized bubbles. Only then is there enough pressure on the caliper piston to activate the brake. Pumping the pedal additional times doesn't usually help much because in between "pumps" the pressure is released and the bubbles can reform to approximately their original volume. The only real fix is to get the air out. Not sure why it seems difficult to bleed this system.

Back