2016 Mazda CX-9 fuel efficiency

Okay guys I have a question that I am stumped on here with...I just purchased my vehicle like a couple months ago. I was driving home and approximately 2 miles from my house on the highway. The gas light came on saying I had 27 miles left. I was like ok I will get off the next exit (less than half mile away) all of a sudden I felt the car pull and stall so I moved over and got into the side median just in time! It shut down! The way it felt was almost like a mechanical problem...check engine light was the first thing to come on. So I call roadside and had it brought to the dealer thinking it was mechanical. They put 5 gallons of gas and it was good to go. Well the same thing happened to my husband he thought he can get off the next exit (less than a mile)....Does anyone else have this problem? I never had a vehicle shut down the minute the gas light comes on. It’s suppose to give us time to get to a gas station.

This was an issue that plagued the 2016 model and actually happened to the car and driver long term test vehicle. Your dealer can fix this.

One of the car magazines had the same problem with their long term 2016:

Their car ran out of gas 3 times, once with 0 miles to empty, then 8, then 41. Turned out that the fuel sender in the tank needed to be replaced. Your problem sounds similar.

why isn’t it part of a recall...? They can fix it but it’s an out of pocket expense for me.

File a vehicle complaint with the NHTSA (link here). I would get it fixed, or avoid letting the gas tank get too low (fill up every two weeks or something). I would think that if it was determined that a recall was necessary, you could get your money back.

File a vehicle complaint with the NHTSA (link here). I would get it fixed, or avoid letting the gas tank get too low (fill up every two weeks or something). I would think that if it was determined that a recall was necessary, you could get your money back.
Thank you! I will do that...I never let my tank go lower than quarter tank and that’s where it comes on saying I have 27 miles left. Now I don’t let it go below half tank. It’s just annoying.

I have been very lucky so far with my 2016 cx-9. I have a tendency to wait until the fuel is very low, usually near 0 mile left sometimes 20 miles below 0, before refill the tank. What you guys mentioned about the potential fuel sender failure is really a wake up call to me. Thank you.

Back