2016 GT with 120k miles

I found a 2016 GT with 120k miles for $16,500. Is this a good deal? The KBB is good but what is the longevity on these engines? 250k miles? Is it worth it at this price point?

We don't yet know the life of the engine, turbocharger, transmission, rear differential, etc. What else can you get for that price that meets your needs? Are the tires & brakes good? There is no major maintenance due, but I'd want the engine drive belts renewed, antifreeze, brake fluid & transmission fluid replaced, and it's probably due for new struts & shocks. These are all high mileage maintenance items. The battery it probably about due for replacement. If you're told that any of these have been done--get documentation.

We don't yet know the life of the engine, turbocharger, transmission, rear differential, etc. What else can you get for that price that meets your needs? Are the tires & brakes good? There is no major maintenance due, but I'd want the engine drive belts renewed, antifreeze, brake fluid & transmission fluid replaced, and it's probably due for new struts & shocks. These are all high mileage maintenance items. The battery it probably about due for replacement. If you're told that any of these have been done--get documentation.
The maintenance records are pretty good according to the carfax:

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=dlr_3&vin=jm3tcbdy5g0107837

Battery was just replaced. It doesn't show that any of the other stuff has been done but they have been checked regularly and the oil was changed religiously every 5k miles according to the carfax. It seems well maintained.

As far as other cars in my price range, I've mainly been looking at 2010-2013 Acura MDXs or 2013-2015 Mazda CX-9s but I love the 2nd gen CX-9 and actually would be stretching my ideal budget a little for this one (I can afford it fine, just don't want to overspend on a depreciating asset).

I found a 2016 GT with 120k miles for $16,500. Is this a good deal? The KBB is good but what is the longevity on these engines? 250k miles? Is it worth it at this price point?

Look around on the forums for 2.5T engines that needed to be replaced. There's a "known issue" with the cylinder heads on these engines from 2016-2018ish. What fraction of the engines will suffer this fate is not currently known.

A few things:

with the VIN you can call any mazda dealership and get the service history (if it was serviced at a mazda dealership, it will be entered in the database). Sometime that can be more useful than the carfax.

reliability wise. It is a gamble, but then again every used car is. Mazda’s typically are really reliable, but not bulletproof. (They are no Toyota tacomas, but better than most). It is a fairly new engine as well, so there isn’t a lot of history yet on it. Some issues are starting to come up with engine coolant leaks, but based on the forum posta these seems to happen kind of early in the life of the engine at this point (before and around 60k) It maybe possible that if it hasn’t happened yet, it will never happen (maybe). High mileage isn’t always a bad thing or hard on a vehicle, especially if it is highway mileage. But make sure you are room in your in budget for additional repairs over the 16k buying price (ball joints, wheel bearing, etc)

The last thing, reliability wise, it depends what you are used too. As PTGuy said, there are a long list of wear items that will start needing replacement at that age, regardless of how reliable the car is. If you are used to owning cars with that kind of mileage, then you already know it and are expecting those kind of repairs and that is fine.

in my case, i usually keep my cars until they are 10 year old and near 120-140k, and i sell it before these repairs start popping up. Different strategy.

At least you can be sure that this thing lived on the highway which is a plus. Not driving around the city and getting to 120K in 4-5 years. That price is very good even with the mileage. You won't find a 2nd gen for less, probably not even a base model unless it's beaten up.

Just my 2¢, but nearly $17k for a 5 year old car with 120,000 miles just seems like way too much money to me. There has got to be a betty deal out there somewhere.

Just my 2¢, but nearly $17k for a 5 year old car with 120,000 miles just seems like way too much money to me. There has got to be a betty deal out there somewhere.
The KBB on this is $17,500-$18K. It was a $42K car 5 years ago and the model hasn't been redesigned (a redesign immediately makes models less desirable).

Well I bought it today and actually got them to come down to $16,000 by the end of it so I'm pretty happy. There's some small issues like some fading on the steering wheel and the screen cracked in the corner, and the tires are probably a little under 50% tread left, but overall I think I did alright.

Reactions: JPL
Well I bought it today and actually got them to come down to $16,000 by the end of it so I'm pretty happy. There's some small issues like some fading on the steering wheel and the screen cracked in the corner, and the tires are probably a little under 50% tread left, but overall I think I did alright.
Congrats. It's a lot of vehicle for $16K. A new Mitsubishi Mirage with a 78hp engine costs that much and is the worst car sold in the US.

Get a $50 stitch on steering wheel wrap on Amazon. Pretty easy to do and make the steering wheel feel better and will hide the fading.

Back