2016 GT wheels - clearcoat issue?

:
CX-5 GT AWD
Hi guys, I've come across an issue with my 2016 CX-5 GT and wanted to ask if anybody here have experienced the same. Certain parts of my wheels have frosted patches, kind of hard to describe but I've attached photos. The patches are completely smooth and same level as non frosted part of the wheel when running a finger over it so they weren't caused by curbing. Is this corrosion under the clearcoat? These frosted patches are only on the machined part of the wheel, the dark portion of the wheel is unaffected. All 4 wheels have these white patches.

I noticed the spots when they were very small flecks but now they're spreading and "veining" out. Anybody know what could cause this?

IMG_8684.jpg

IMG_8688.jpg

IMG_8683.jpg

IMG_8677.jpg

Isn't this a known problem?
I seem to recall a thread on this subject a year or two ago.
If I remember right, if you push the issue with Mazda, they'll repaint your wheels for free.
Anybody?

Is that on one wheel or more?
All 4 wheels are affected.

Isn't this a known problem?
I seem to recall a thread on this subject a year or two ago.
If I remember right, if you push the issue with Mazda, they'll repaint your wheels for free.
Anybody?
Really? Service manager says he's never seen this problem before.
I searched but couldnt find a thread on this problem. Anybody have direct link?

Type in "wheels flaking" in the search button.
Lots of threads on the subject.

Reminds me what i saw (on a lot bigger scale) on the aluminum wheels of my previous car.The clearcoat was definitely weatherworn and aged but the marks became instantly apparent when I cleaned them with Purple Power.I should have read the label where it's not to be used on aluminum.Had to quickly rinse it off.Didn't fix the marks but the wheels were old so screw it.
I guess the question is-- were the wheels cleaned with anything caustic/acidic that got into some pinholes on the coating and spread.Just my experience.

Type in "wheels flaking" in the search button.
Lots of threads on the subject.
Thanks. Search just brings up Mazda 6 wheel issues. Have you seen this specifically on the CX-5 GT wheels?

... and yes, it IS corrosion under the clearcoat.
:cry:
Hope Mazda Canada will help me fix this

Reminds me what i saw (on a lot bigger scale) on the aluminum wheels of my previous car.The clearcoat was definitely weatherworn and aged but the marks became instantly apparent when I cleaned them with Purple Power.I should have read the label where it's not to be used on aluminum.Had to quickly rinse it off.Didn't fix the marks but the wheels were old so screw it.
I guess the question is-- were the wheels cleaned with anything caustic/acidic that got into some pinholes on the coating and spread.Just my experience.
No caustic cleaners. I just go to the touchless carwashes at gas stations.
You might be on the right track though, all the "frosted" patches originate from an edge, and only on the machined part of the rim. The clearcoat might be so thin at that edge transition, that moisture found its way under and therefore the corrosion.

Just wanted to see if others have this issue or do I just have a bad set of wheels?

If you are going to continue to use touchless carwashes,I'd monitor your wheels closely.Years ago a friend of mine had the coating of his (nice) aluminum wheels attacked by the wheel cleaner used at a drive thru car wash.He went back and got compensation from the owner.Not saying this is the cause(road salt maybe) but who knows what wheel cleaner is used.

of course not all car washes are created equal.. but in general touch less car washes are VERY caustic (I think basic vs acidic)

realize they are using chemicals to break down dirt in order to rinse it off. I'd say not mention the car washes to the Mazda Canada and see what they will do for you.

Update

Mazda Canada won't do anything. I suggest if you see anything remotely similar to bring it up with your dealership while you're still under warranty. The one thing I didn't do on time and looks like I'll be paying for it.

Looks like new wheels or maybe have the oems powder coated. Thanks!

Mazda Canada. Canada. Maybe salt?

I used to live in condo with underground parking. Was warned that's worse than outdoor spot, salt stays warm and wet. Had black steelies at time, and they did seem to rust noticeably over the 4 winters I was there.

Back