2016 CX-9 Rear Seat Removal

I've searched for this (also for a complete service manual with no luck), but does anyone know how to remove the larger of the middle seats in a 2016 CX-9? I was able to get some of the plastic off on the LH side, but where the two seats come together I cant seem to remove the plastic trim (probably could break it off, but that is obviously not ideal...).

I bit the bullet and paid $30 for the 1-day access to Mazda technical service resource - for anyone else looking to do this, you remove the entire rails with the seats. stick a screwdriver between the carpet and the plastic housing around the rails, then twist to pry it up. Be gentle or you could hurt the tabs that click it in place.

Once you take these 4 housings off, you can loosen the large bolts holding the rails in place. There are 5 total for the larger seat (2 in the rear center, 1 each at the front right and left, then 1 at the back left (driver side).

I bit the bullet and paid $30 for the 1-day access to Mazda technical service resource - for anyone else looking to do this, you remove the entire rails with the seats. stick a screwdriver between the carpet and the plastic housing around the rails, then twist to pry it up. Be gentle or you could hurt the tabs that click it in place.

Once you take these 4 housings off, you can loosen the large bolts holding the rails in place. There are 5 total for the larger seat (2 in the rear center, 1 each at the front right and left, then 1 at the back left (driver side).
Hi. I want to remove the sevond row seats in my 2013 Mazda CX-9. Did you remove the seats from the rails and then remove the rails or all at once? When twisting or prying the plastic surrounding the rail, how much pressure did you apply? Thx.

Hi. I want to remove the sevond row seats in my 2013 Mazda CX-9. Did you remove the seats from the rails and then remove the rails or all at once? When twisting or prying the plastic surrounding the rail, how much pressure did you apply? Thx.
I'm not sure on the 2013 since mine is the new generation (2016). On the 2016 you remove just the seat bracket (it bolts to the rails). There are only 2 plastic fascia pieces which come off with a nylon trim pry bar with not a ton of force. Make sure you don't break any plastic clips!

I'm not sure on the 2013 since mine is the new generation (2016). On the 2016 you remove just the seat bracket (it bolts to the rails). There are only 2 plastic fascia pieces which come off with a nylon trim pry bar with not a ton of force. Make sure you don't break any plastic clips!
Thanks. That is what I’m worried about since I want to put the seats back in again. The dealer wants a fortune to remove and replace the seats. It be cheaper to rent a truck for the move I’m planning. Is this a pretty easy project for someone with very little mechanic skills? What about the third row seats? Easier?

Thanks. That is what I’m worried about since I want to put the seats back in again. The dealer wants a fortune to remove and replace the seats. It be cheaper to rent a truck for the move I’m planning. Is this a pretty easy project for someone with very little mechanic skills? What about the third row seats? Easier?
On the 2016 its a piece of cake, maybe 6 bolts? I only removed the middle seat (2/3rds of the middle row), since my rear ones fold flat. I'd consult a interior diagram if you can for your model year.

Back