2016 Cx-5 sport oil change interval 5000 miles or 10,000 miles?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
I have a '16 CX-5 sport and live in South Florida. The dealer recommends oil changes at 5000 miles instead of 7,500 or 10,000 miles. Aren't oil changes supposed to be at least at 7500 miles with synthetic oil?

Drive about 10,000 miles in a year.

I know Toyota recommends oil changes on their cars now at 10,000 miles with synthetic oil. Any thoughts?

I change it every 10k, with a bottle added around 7k. My situation is almost the same, almost 10k miles per year.
I pick up a 6 bottle Mobil 1 carton from Costco(~$29), and that serves me well, until the next oil change.

I have a '16 CX-5 sport and live in South Florida. The dealer recommends oil changes at 5000 miles instead of 7,500 or 10,000 miles. Aren't oil changes supposed to be at least at 7500 miles with synthetic oil?

Drive about 10,000 miles in a year.

I know Toyota recommends oil changes on their cars now at 10,000 miles with synthetic oil. Any thoughts?
Yeah comparing most other brand of vehicles Mazda has shorter oil change schedule. Since you drive 10,000 miles per year, I'd use Flexible oil change schedule although you have to do the reset as soon as you did the oil change. For 2016 CX-5, Flexible OCI can go up to 10,000 miles or 12 months. The only problem for you is you may need PCM firmware upgrade to eliminate some bugs on Flexible oil life monitor per a TSB.

If you want go fixed OCI, 7,500 miles.

Use either service schedule of oil changes every 5,000 or 7,500 miles. Or, use the Flexible OCI. Sounds like you don't need to use the more severe schedule (with the 5k interval), so use either the 7500 mile interval or flexible OCI and I think you'll be fine.

I'd change it every 5K if those are short trips (<10mi), or at 7500 if they are longer trips (>10mi), on average. Toyota uses a different DI system than Mazda. Toyota>Mazda>The Rest, when it comes to DI and need to maintain it with oil monitoring, etc.

Unless you autocross on the weekends 5k miles is too soon for 0w20 changes. bump up to 7.5k miles at least.

I'd change it every 5K if those are short trips (<10mi), or at 7500 if they are longer trips (>10mi), on average. Toyota uses a different DI system than Mazda. Toyota>Mazda>The Rest, when it comes to DI and need to maintain it with oil monitoring, etc.
Toyota uses similar direct injection on its previous 2.5L and the oil change schedule had been 10,000 miles or 12 months for many years. New Dynamic Force 2.5L, although it has both direct and port injections, keeps the same OCI. Toyota has to make exceptions on its free 2-year maintenance program to my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA (MAZDA2), which carries the same and shorter Mazda maintenance schedule at 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first, by giving 3 free oil changes and tire rotations instead of 2.

I did my 1st oil change last Fall post free dealer oil changes and turned on Flexible... I'm now at 6800 miles and 20% left, looks like I won't make it to 10k but will exceed 7.5k. I did more idling this past year while waiting with my kid for the school bus in the AM. 2016 CX5 GT.. I wish the flexible was in real single % instead of 10% increments.

When I had the 08' VW Rabbit, the maintenance it was on us(owners) and they recommended similar ranges between oil changes. Than VW, gave free maintenances for the newer year model cars(same engine), and then the oil changes intervals went up to 10k. So when it was on them, then it can be a longer interval, right, but when it is on you, you have to shorten those intervals.

Id go with the 5k or 7.5k changes. The shorter interval if you do a lot of city stop and go and the longer interval if you are mostly highway speeds.

If in doubt go 5k.

When I had the 08' VW Rabbit, the maintenance it was on us(owners) and they recommended similar ranges between oil changes. Than VW, gave free maintenances for the newer year model cars(same engine), and then the oil changes intervals went up to 10k. So when it was on them, then it can be a longer interval, right, but when it is on you, you have to shorten those intervals.
Yeah this sounded right from business point of view. But they also have to consider long-term issues. For example on Toyota, do you really believe they're going to risk the oil related engine problems after 2-year free maintenance ended unless they do have enough confidence that their reliable engines can run 10,000-mile OCI without issues? Their reputation of reliability has to be the most important thing they need to keep up.

Although Toyota now recommends 10,000-mile OCI, but for its Yaris iA / Mazda2 only Toyota has to change the OCI to 7,500 miles either they simply just follow Mazda's recommendation, or Toyota doesn't have enough confidence to run the oil longer on Mazda's engine.

You can search on here and see my UOAs (I have another one waiting review with Blackstone) but from what I've found, due to fuel dilution 10k is definitely pushing it. Anywhere between 7k-8k seems to be the sweet spot in my opinion. However, with your warmer weather, it's certainly possible that you won't experience the same dilution as I do up here so ymmv. In either case, 5k miles is too early and a waste of money and resources. I'd change no less than 7k.

Yeah comparing most other brand of vehicles Mazda has shorter oil change schedule. Since you drive 10,000 miles per year, I'd use Flexible oil change schedule although you have to do the reset as soon as you did the oil change. For 2016 CX-5, Flexible OCI can go up to 10,000 miles or 12 months. The only problem for you is you may need PCM firmware upgrade to eliminate some bugs on Flexible oil life monitor per a TSB.

If you want go fixed OCI, 7,500 miles.

Could you share this TSB?

Also, at 7k I have to put in a new bottle of oil, so that one freshens up a bit the old oil.

Could you share this TSB?
Posted recently in this thread:

Mazda's Oil Monitor Question

I've been using Flexible OCI since day 1 on my 2016 CX-5. I did have some issues similar to yours after the first oil change and reset. The wrench indicator would pop up randomly from time to time although the oil life is at 100%. Only the PCM firmware update based on a TSB that fixed the problem since although my Flexible problem was different as described in the TSB. Never needs multiple resets.

BTW, I showed the TSB to service advisor and suggested him the PCM update to resolve the issue although the description of the problems is different from mine. He gladly accepted my suggestion and did the PCM update. In the end both sides were happy, as my Flexible problem got resolved, and he could charge Mazda NAO on the work they have done under warranty.

TSB 01-019/15: Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance Does Not Work 2014-2016 Mazda Vehicles

Bulletin No: 01-019/15 said:
DESCRIPTION

Some customer using "Flexible" setting for Oil Change in the maintenance monitor may notice that the oil change due notification will not work because of improper control logic of the PCM. This TSB is applicable for the following cases.
The oil change due notification does not come on, even after mileage exceeded 10,000 miles.
Oil life in the center display is still less than 40% even though the mileage exceeded 7,000 miles.

To display "Flexible" setting and "Oil life" on the center screen, select the "Applications" screen, "Maintenance", then "Oil Change" tab. For complete details, refer to the "MAINTENANCE MONITOR OPERATION PROCEDURE" in the Workshop Manual.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

10K are fine, IMO.

Make sure you use an oil filter that 'supports' 10K

I know people change just the filter at 5K and oil at 10.

I do 6K oil and filter changes myself and two UOAs suggest I can go 8K. PP 0w20 or 5w30 + OEM or Ultra filter

Back