2013~2016 2016 CX-5 GT suspension side to side swing

Hi guys,

I drove my 2016 CX-5 GT for 4 years (37,000km), last year I had an accident that I hit the left wheel on the kerb at 30m/h and the car bounce back. After the accident, I noticed that the car is hard to control when there are four people on board. I feel the steering is pulling the car with a string. I went to local Mazda dealership multiple times and they couldn't locate any issue, so I found a suspension workshop to replace two lower control arms and tie rod end. However, the issue remains, and the car got more body roll and side to side swing when I drive on uneven roads. Did another wheel alignment at the Mazda dealership last week, but still got the body swing and steering issue, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Could be a bad shock/strut.I had the same happen with my previous car.A rear shock was bad. Very hard to keep car in my lane when driving on uneven road.At the time it was the 10th car I owned in 40 years of driving and the first time experiencing something like this.Would not have thought.Worth checking out.Also,even though it was aligned,curious if the camber is in spec.

Could be a bad shock/strut. I had the same happen with my previous car. A rear shock was bad. Very hard to keep car in my lane when driving on uneven road. At the time it was the 10th car I owned in 40 years of driving and the first time experiencing something like this.Would not have thought.Worth checking out.Also,even though it was aligned,curious if the camber is in spec.
Thanks Jmaz, I'm feeling the same, yesterday I drove on the hill winding road for about an hour, and front of the car feel like lacking support from the suspension, the coil spring does not bounce back. I will send the car for a shock/sturt inspection again this week although Mazada dealer said the strut looks ok

My rear shock is blown and the same thing happens. I already have another one in the post. I'm assuming you got an alignment after that.

My rear shock is blown and the same thing happens. I already have another one in the post. I'm assuming you got an alignment after that.

I replaced both front and rear struts (Only struts not springs) at a friend's workshop and get an alignment, it feels great for the first month, but after a month I feel lots of body rolling when driving on the bad country road. Does that mean the new struts are not compatible with the old springs?

Assuming you didn't use cheap struts, are your tires properly inflated?Also,you may want to have the suspension inspected again by a frame shop.

if you can, have someone drive the car on bumpy roads and watch the back wheels. if they are bouncy, the shocks are gone.

Back