2016 CX-5 Electric Parking Brake malfunction?

Ash_CX5

:
2016 CX5
I recently had my EPB flashing, along with the red flashing brake icon and the parking brake icon illuminated on my dash. They stayed on for my entire drive and the next morning...poof...gone. the dealership today said my parking brake module is responsible and malfunctioning. I've tried to find some research online about this but am coming up empty. It is a cool 600+ dollars for them to fix. Could anyone shed some light on what this actually means. Does it absolutely need replaced. Can I find the parts online and replace it myself. Or try a cheaper mechanic other than Mazda!? Help!

I recently had my EPB flashing, along with the red flashing brake icon and the parking brake icon illuminated on my dash. They stayed on for my entire drive and the next morning...poof...gone. the dealership today said my parking brake module is responsible and malfunctioning. I've tried to find some research online about this but am coming up empty. It is a cool 600+ dollars for them to fix. Could anyone shed some light on what this actually means. Does it absolutely need replaced. Can I find the parts online and replace it myself. Or try a cheaper mechanic other than Mazda!? Help!
No it's not your EPB control module but your rear brake calipers. The EPB TSB started with replacing EPB control module but later Mazda had found the EPB problem really comes from rear brake calipers. Mazda revised the calipers and you should get your old rear calipers replaced with new version. Pads and rotors should also get replaced at the same time.

TSB R052/16C

Apparently you've run out of warranty but unfortunately the fix may involve resetting of EPB control module which most shops can't do. You can try to contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations seeking for help. Make sure to mention the TSB and emphasize that the calipers are defective which affect the safety. Good luck!

Had the same problem, EPB lights on, cost me a fortune for new rear brake calipers. Wouldn't of minded it as much if it was an old car but for a 2016 model with 22000 on the clock that's bad considering they're a well made car.

Thanks for the info! I just sent Mazda NA Customer Experience Center an email requesting this problem be covered under warranty. I'll post results here.

We shall see.

Thanks for the info! I just sent Mazda NA Customer Experience Center an email requesting this problem be covered under warranty. I'll post results here.

We shall see.
For the US, all 2016 CX-5’s and about a half of the 2016.5 CX-5’s assembled before Sep. 9, 2016 are affected by the inferior rear disk calipers based on the TSB. These CX-5’s have run out of the new car warranty, and Mazda has no obligation to cover the repair of EPB dragging issue. Unless you bought a used CX-5 with CPO warranty.

Hi, I am currently having the same issue with my 2016 Mazda CX-5 and the dealership is trying to tell me I spilled something on the console and they want to replace the electronic e-brake button *eyeroll*. How did you get your dealership to actually follow through with the repair? I had the TCB in front of me with instructions of how to diagnose the issue and they tried to tell to me that it has nothing to do with the calipers... Mazda USA told me they default to the "expertise" of the dealership technicians.

Hi, I am currently having the same issue with my 2016 Mazda CX-5 and the dealership is trying to tell me I spilled something on the console and they want to replace the electronic e-brake button *eyeroll*. How did you get your dealership to actually follow through with the repair? I had the TCB in front of me with instructions of how to diagnose the issue and they tried to tell to me that it has nothing to do with the calipers... Mazda USA told me they default to the "expertise" of the dealership technicians.
Your Mazda dealer wants to replace EPB switch instead of problematic rear disk calipers? If you showed the EPB dragging TSB with symptoms described in there, and your Mazda dealer still refused to do anything based on TSB’s procedures, I’d say you should try another Mazda dealer.

Back