2016 and up High mileage Suspension replacement question

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
Hello All,
For those of you with higher mileage 2016 and up CX-9's. When would you expect to replace your shocks\struts? So far we have 80,500 miles on our 2016 CX-9 and only had to do normal wear and tear maintenance. Last time we were getting serviced, I asked to look at our shocks and they show no leaks whatsoever. However, I do notice the CX-9 is not as stiff on turns and seems not as planted. Is there a certain mileage you would want to get the shocks replaced? Tires were replaced about 1 1/2 ago and there is no uneven wear on them like you would see with bad shocks. What's your thoughts on shock replacements and if you do need to replace them is OEM the only option?

" not as stiff on turns and seems not as planted "

You nailed it. 80k on OE shocks & struts is plenty. Time for new ones.

" not as stiff on turns and seems not as planted "

You nailed it. 80k on OE shocks & struts is plenty. Time for new ones.
That's what I thought. OE shocks seem to be the only option. Looking at about $400 - $500 in parts only. :eek:

I did a short Google search and I wasn't able to find an aftermarket replacement shock, but I don't think OEM is the only option. If you want to retain a ride quality as close to OEM as possible, I would inquire at your local tire/suspension shops just to be sure that the OEM shocks are the only available replacements. If they are, I'd buy them from the dealer and probably have them replaced at an independent shop (labour rates will probably be cheaper than the dealership).

There are aftermarket suspension options available from companies like Ceika Performance and KT Racing, but they are adjustable coilover systems that are probably more than you need.

I usually get my parts from an online mazda dealer. They usually have a pretty good discount and I can drive down to pick the parts up to save on shipping. I may look to the shop that did my leveling kit on my truck to see how much they charge to replace them.

So I spoke to my mazda dealer and also another shop and they both quoted me around $300 labor with alignment. The OEM parts themselves are around $400.

If you don’t mind the car riding softer there is no harm either on waiting longer before replacing them. If the shock aren’t bad and just a bit softer there is no risk to keep going with them.

My mazda 6 had 200000 km on original shock and they were fine. My mazda 3 they had to be replaced at 140 000 km. So it is your call and a matter of preference in my opinion in your case.

There are Gabriel struts available for the front. I think only Mazda rears are available.

Why include alignment? I don't think any alignment adjustments are touched when struts are replaced. (I've replaced struts, and I've also replaced alignment parts where I guessed to get the setting close enough to go directly to the alignment shop.) If there is tire wear or pulling to a side shows the need, yes, get it aligned after the work.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/tire-alignment#
If it needs alignment tell them that you require the before & after printouts of the settings. You require that all settings be put at the center of the spec, not just anywhere in-spec, or you don't pay. Be sure your requirements are written on the work order the tech sees. If the before-print out shows everything very close to the center of the spec pay only for checking, not doing the alignment.

Get a 4 wheel alignment. On cars that don't have an adjustable rear suspension, get a thrust alignment where the precise direction of thrust of the rears is measured and the fronts aligned to that.

Back