2016.5 CX5 Speaker Replacement/Upgrade

:
Mazda, CX5 - GT
I have a 2016.5 GT CX5 Bose system. My passenger side door sub-woofer is blown. It seems simple enough to change out but my question is what have you used to replace that sub with? I would like a better sub if possible. I am not looking to upgrade the amp or head unit, just the 2 front subs right now. I read they are 6.5" and then others say 9", what have you all used. Thank you.

@eeyankee did you read through this thread:

@eeyankee did you read through this thread:
Yes I did read that thread. That's where I keep seeing 9" but crutchfield lists 6.5" on the front doors. I was also wondering if everyone simply stayed with a woofer or if a 2 or 3 way worked. From what I read, it looked like only a sub works.

I have a 2016.5 GT CX5 Bose system. My passenger side door sub-woofer is blown. It seems simple enough to change out but my question is what have you used to replace that sub with? I would like a better sub if possible. I am not looking to upgrade the amp or head unit, just the 2 front subs right now. I read they are 6.5" and then others say 9", what have you all used. Thank you.
Yes your 2016.5 CX-5 Bose has a pair of 9” (23cm) Nd woofers on front doors. There’s a TSB for faulty 9” Bose Nd woofers, but it’s too late for you without a new car warranty.

Not sure how much they would cost now, but it won’t hurt to check the price for a pair of revised OEM Bose front door woofers as that’d be a lot easier to replace.

Selection of after-market woofers is limited. Sizes between 8” or 9” is a problem, so as the compatibility of low 2Ω resistance. Installation would be a pain as some had to create a custom-made speaker adapter for those after-market woofers.

Here’re a couple of discussions about Bose 9” (23cm) Nd woofer replacement:

2016 with bose front door speaker replacement

Installing 8" Speakers in Mazda CX-5 (early CX-5 Sport)

And here are some pictures on Bose front door woofers:
Bose 9" (8" actual size) Nd woofer in front door:
2014%252520Mazda6%252520Bose%2525209-inch%252520%25252823cm%252529%252520Nd%2525C2%2525AE%252520Woofer_20130415.jpg

Front door speaker location w/o 9" Nd woofer:
2014%252520Mazda6%252520Bose%2525209-inch%252520%25252823cm%252529%252520Nd%2525C2%2525AE%252520Woofer%252520Front%252520Door%252520Location_20130415.jpg

And Bose 9" Nd woofer itself from Toneb210:
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And Dayton Audio RS-225-4 and Pioneer TS-SW2002d2 shallow mount 8" subwoofers from 2016 with bose front door speaker replacement by Toneb210:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd also suggest finding an exact replacement. Bose systems are equalized for the specific car, and an aftermarket speaker will probably sound quite different than the stock unit. You could easily end up with one speaker that sounds so different it will drive you nuts...

I'd also suggest finding an exact replacement. Bose systems are equalized for the specific car, and an aftermarket speaker will probably sound quite different than the stock unit. You could easily end up with one speaker that sounds so different it will drive you nuts...
The problem finding an exact replacement is almost impossible as the original 9” (23cm) Nd woofer has design flaw with rust issue causing the woofer rattling and failing. The revised OEM Bose woofer may not have exact sound quality than original ones due to the redesign. Unless you’re not critical on sound quality, otherwise a pair of replacement may be a better choice. The main advantage for getting the OEM woofers is they’re a lot easier to replace as they’re direct fit.

The problem finding an exact replacement is almost impossible as the original 9” (23cm) Nd woofer has design flaw with rust issue causing the woofer rattling and failing. The revised OEM Bose woofer may not have exact sound quality than original ones due to the redesign. Unless you’re not critical on sound quality, otherwise a pair of replacement may be a better choice. The main advantage for getting the OEM woofers is they’re a lot easier to replace as they’re direct fit.
Interesting. I'm with you, I'd replace both, OEM revised or aftermarket. If one has failed the other one is likely on its way out anyway since it's an inherent design problem. And honestly I'd stick with OEM anyway, at least it's designed to be installed in a space with about the same internal volume and would be hella easier to boot.

Interesting. I'm with you, I'd replace both, OEM revised or aftermarket. If one has failed the other one is likely on its way out anyway since it's an inherent design problem. And honestly I'd stick with OEM anyway, at least it's designed to be installed in a space with about the same internal volume and would be hella easier to boot.
Although I did get a pair of revised OEM Bose woofers under warranty after I saw the TSB and requested the replacement, but honestly I really dislike the quality of these paper cone Bose speakers. Missing a pair of tweeters on my gen-1 CX-5 Bose 9-speaker setup is also very disappointing. I actually consider getting any good quality after-market replacement speakers is an upgrade to OEM Bose speakers. And many who had done that also say so from their experience.

Although I did get a pair of revised OEM Bose woofers under warranty after I saw the TSB and requested the replacement, but honestly I really dislike the quality of these paper cone Bose speakers. Missing a pair of tweeters on my gen-1 CX-5 Bose 9-speaker setup is also very disappointing. I actually consider getting any good quality after-market replacement speakers is an upgrade to OEM Bose speakers. And many who had done that also say so from their experience.
That's always been the Bose philosophy, use cheap drivers and EQ the crap out of them. If you've ever listened to a pair of the 901's without the active EQ box it's amazing how poor they were, and I assume still are.

I spent many years in the home hi-fi biz and the old saying was "No highs no lows, it must be Bose".

I've always though the Bose system in my CX-5's ('17 and '20) sounded like a big Bose Wave radio, pleasant enough but not really high fidelity by any stretch of the imagination.

But that being said, ya gotta love their marketing proficiency. In all my years in the biz many of our customers thought Bose were great speakers until you played them something that was actually good sounding.

Just thought I'd share a successful upgrade to our 2020 Sport. Great instructions in this thread, though I really wish I'd read the directions re: removing the front door panels more carefully. i broke the big square clip, but luckily the dealer had one for $5.

I went with a set of kickers from Crutchfield. I went with the biggest ones that would fit in the front doors as well as rear (could have also gone with the rears in all 4 locations). I used their adapters as well as the wiring harnesses. I bought some foam weatherproofing from home depot to ensure the adapters sealed up OK. Sound quality hugely, hugely improved. Pretty impressed that the stock amp is as powerful as it is. I probably would have gone with the Hertz speakers if I'd read more carefully here due to the increased sensitivity, but the kickers work great.

Just thought I'd share a successful upgrade to our 2020 Sport. Great instructions in this thread, though I really wish I'd read the directions re: removing the front door panels more carefully. i broke the big square clip, but luckily the dealer had one for $5.

I went with a set of kickers from Crutchfield. I went with the biggest ones that would fit in the front doors as well as rear (could have also gone with the rears in all 4 locations). I used their adapters as well as the wiring harnesses. I bought some foam weatherproofing from home depot to ensure the adapters sealed up OK. Sound quality hugely, hugely improved. Pretty impressed that the stock amp is as powerful as it is. I probably would have gone with the Hertz speakers if I'd read more carefully here due to the increased sensitivity, but the kickers work great.
Don't feel bad about the clips. It's easy to break one even if you are careful. I did😒

So the new woofers were easy enough to just bolt in? The Bose woofers are really thin because of the magnets but probably most kickers aren't.

Just getting through the posts this morning; thank you for all the input. I love quality sound but while the Bose system is probably not the best, the system serves my purpose in my CX5. I am going to replace with a Bose replacement, thank you all. Does anybody have a model # and where to purchase the new improved one?

So it appears that the Mazda part # for the front doors are KD45-66-A60. I cant seem to find if its the old or new replacement.

Last edited:
I saw another thread with excellent write-up by rdmtech. Ever since his door speakers blew (due to moisture per TSB) he had been trying to piece together how to replace all of the speakers without spending a fortune. He completed this project for under $400.00 for the upgrade on all Bose speakers.

2016 CX-5 Audio upgrade thread

I have successfully used the following speakers/mounting kit/wire harness to replace all of my speakers for my 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring with the Bose system. It's been quite a journey. I hope this helps others save time.

Ever since my door speakers blew (due to moisture) I have been trying to piece together how to replace all of the speakers without spending a fortune. I completed this project for under $400.00.

Yes, the part no. for OEM Bose 9” (23cm) Nd front door woofer is KD45-66-A60. You may check other sites finding out the best price available.

View attachment 233207

Check out the TSB making sure you get a revised woofer based on manufacture date.

TSB 09-012/17 NOISE FROM FRONT DOOR PANEL WHEN PLAYING AUDIO SYSTEM

View attachment 233208
View attachment 233209
View attachment 233210
thanks for the TSB, I guess I can't submit a claim since its 5 years old now...at least its not a terribly high cost to fix.

I saw another thread with excellent write-up by rdmtech. Ever since his door speakers blew (due to moisture per TSB) he had been trying to piece together how to replace all of the speakers without spending a fortune. He completed this project for under $400.00 for the upgrade on all Bose speakers.

2016 CX-5 Audio upgrade thread
good info, thank you. Going thru this too to see which way is best.

Back