2016.5 CX-5 Transmission fluid change questions

We are waiting for our 2024 CX 5 T to arrive. I'm learning so much reading about these cool cars on this forum.

I have to give the credit to my wife who wanted a cross over. I was happy in the 2009 Honda with performance suspension and ties. Then I found the CX 5. What a nice balance of utility and performance. I've researched performance coilovers and such.

Honda recommends changing the ATF every 30K. They recommend changing it 3 times to flush the system. Many of us Honda guys change the trans one time every 10K.

Honda doesn't recommend changing the external trans filter. I changed this filter at 100K and could tell a difference how it shifted. Also, I can tell a difference after doing a trans fluid change every 10K how it shifts.

Over in another world, HD diesel pick ups, I change the trans fluid and filter every 30K. Again, I can feel the difference they way it shifts. On this old school 2006 trans, I adjust 2 trans band each time. The trans went 230K before I killed it hot rodding the truck. No more hot rodding a 6,500 pound tow pig!

I plan to change the ATF, one time, every 10K in the CX 5. At the 100K mark, drop the trans pan and replace the filter. Maybe sooner. It can't hurt to have fresh ATF/filter.

Maybe someone will have a shift kit or be doing some trans tuning in the software soon. My truck tuner has greatly improved upshift and down shifts. We modified the valve body/solenoids as well. I have a standalone TCU in my race car. Tuning the trans shift pressures, what rpm the converter locks and unlocks makes a measurable difference.

I'm looking forward to this next chapter with a CX 5 T!
Welcome, can’t wait for you to get your Turbo!

Check out this thread if you haven’t yet, good info there: Skyactiv Transmission Fluid Analysis Thread 10k is a bit short for me

We are waiting for our 2024 CX 5 T to arrive. I'm learning so much reading about these cool cars on this forum.

I have to give the credit to my wife who wanted a cross over. I was happy in the 2009 Honda with performance suspension and ties. Then I found the CX 5. What a nice balance of utility and performance. I've researched performance coilovers and such.

Honda recommends changing the ATF every 30K. They recommend changing it 3 times to flush the system. Many of us Honda guys change the trans one time every 10K.

Honda doesn't recommend changing the external trans filter. I changed this filter at 100K and could tell a difference how it shifted. Also, I can tell a difference after doing a trans fluid change every 10K how it shifts.

Over in another world, HD diesel pick ups, I change the trans fluid and filter every 30K. Again, I can feel the difference they way it shifts. On this old school 2006 trans, I adjust 2 trans band each time. The trans went 230K before I killed it hot rodding the truck. No more hot rodding a 6,500 pound tow pig!

I plan to change the ATF, one time, every 10K in the CX 5. At the 100K mark, drop the trans pan and replace the filter. Maybe sooner. It can't hurt to have fresh ATF/filter.

Maybe someone will have a shift kit or be doing some trans tuning in the software soon. My truck tuner has greatly improved upshift and down shifts. We modified the valve body/solenoids as well. I have a standalone TCU in my race car. Tuning the trans shift pressures, what rpm the converter locks and unlocks makes a measurable difference.

I'm looking forward to this next chapter with a CX 5 T!
You mention that Honda doesn't recommend changing the external filter? Should that be internal filter? I don't know, that's why I'm asking. If the filter is external why not change it?

"Over in another world, HD diesel pick ups,"

Boy oh boy! You ain't kidding! That is another world over there!

By 'over there' I mean HD truck forums. I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD diesel (with an easily changeable spin-on external transmission filter) and I read a bit over on the Duramax forum. There are some VERY knowledgeable people there but there are also some serious idiots there as well.

Talking trucks is one thing but some of these people have to insert their political views into most of their posts and that gets VERY tiring, especially when I have the opposite view and I have to bite my tongue to keep quiet. I think that most of you know what I'm talking about. The mods let them get away with it and I suspect that's because they share the same views.

Thanks, that link was a good read. Interesting how some folks still don't believe the importance of changing atf in electronic trans....

I've refresh my race car German electronic trans, Nag1. We found the ATF filter gets clogged up with clutch material. The trans runs hot and or shift pressures are reduced. Results are failed trans.

We see the same failure pattern in HD diesel pickups. In my truck, I run a larger then OEM trans filter. We have 20 years and milions of miles of data to draw from.

Our CX 5 will be driven around town for the most part by my wife. I will run up the rpm to keep the injectors clean. Alabama heat may impact are life too.

I'll do 1 ATF change every 10k and get it tested the 1st change for a base line. I'll post the results on the subject thread.

On another trans subject, I understand this Mazda has a coolant trans cooler. My 06 Dodge Ram 2500 has a similar unit inline with a traditional fin type cooler. These coolant devices help the trans come up to temp quickly and stay at a constant temp.

We have seen these devices leak coolant in the trans that promptly kills the trans. At 250k, I by passed the heater/cooler/trans killer. I had just refreshed my trans and do to want to do.it again.

I by passed it and installed a plate type cooler. My trans runs 20 to 30f cooler than before. No shift issues. This is mostly a dumb trans, 48re.

I don't have any plans to by pass the Mazda heater/cooler unless they start leaking and kill a few trans.

If/when we get trans tuning capabilities, we can turn off or down the alarms in the tcu when the trans temp is below factory specs....

Yep the Honda trans filter is external and Honda doesn't list this filter to be replaced. Sounds like Honda wants their cars to fail and be replaced. Or think the US replaces cars as often as the Japanese....

That's cool the Dmax has an external trans filter. Guys add external ATF filters to their Dodges.

Good to see another HD truck owner who is also a Mazda enthusiast!

I found over the years that no company makes a perfect vehicle or has cornered engineering or physics. There is a lot of knowledge that crosses over from brand to brand. 🤣

I'm excited to learn more about these nitch market cars and apply my knowledge that crosses over!

Last edited:
Yep the Honda trans filter is external and Honda doesn't list this filter to be replaced. Sounds like Honda wants their cars to fail and be replaced. Or think the US replaces cars as often as the Japanese....

That's cool the Dmax has an external trans filter. Guys add external ATF filters to their Dodges.

Good to see another HD truck owner who is also a Mazda enthusiast!

I found over the years that no company makes a perfect vehicle or has a cornner on physics. There is alot of knowledge that crosses over from brand to brand. 🤣

I'm excited to learn more about these nitch market cars and apply my knowledge that crosses over!

There is a company that makes a perfect car, well, almost perfect. It's our beloved Mazda and the near perfect car is the MX-5 of course! (y)

Back