2016.5 CX-5 diesel, affected by issues?

Hello guys, I'm an owner of a 2016.5 model (KE) CX-5 Skyactiv Diesel from the Philippines. Unit is an updated version with electronic parking brake already. It's run 55,000 trouble-free kilometers since taking ownership three years ago, only had rear pads replaced apart from regular servicing from the dealer. Unit's just run out of warranty recently.

Thing is, I'm having doubts on whether I should continue keeping it. I've been reading here and on other Mazda forums that this model is equipped with a troublesome motor. Things like oil dilution, blown head gaskets, coolant leaks among other things are just some of what I've read and the resolution is just a replacement motor. I doubt Mazda Philippines will replace a problematic motor out of goodwill if something happens given the poor consumer protection we have here.

I haven't noticed oil dilution on my unit, oil has been replaced at 53,000km and is still barely above the full marker on the dipstick and I check it weekly. My real worry is the head gasket since there are no symptoms of trouble. Taiwan and Thailand units are most affected as far as I know, those countries share a similar climate with my country, that might be a factor.

Is there a specific year model range of the CX-5 affected by these problems? Have they resolved it already? Maybe the 2016.5 KE Diesel has an updated motor with the fixes in place? I'm not sure, but do you think it's worth keeping my unit? Many thanks.

Last edited:
The KF model has modified pistons and rings and is virtually cured of dilution. Half the battle with your KE is knowing what to watch for and you clearly do so personally, I wouldn*t be too concerned.

Back