2015 Mazda CX-5 engine replacement?

Found out today that our 2015 cx5 grand touring head gasket has blown. Was told by the mechanic that these engines are not able to just have the head gasket replaced and require a new engine, is this true? Very disappointed as we’ve only had the car for 2 years now (140000 km) and have kept up with all regular maintenance. Mechanic also told us that Mazda is aware of this issue happening. If anyone knows anything about this that would be great, thanks.

Sorry to hear of your engine troubles :-(

What part of the world are you located and which engine is in your cx5?

A head gasket issue is news to me and probably a lot of members here. Mazda knows it's a problem? Something doesn't sound right. Get another opinion.

The head gasket is an easy job...Accessing it is time consuming hence why the Mazda? Mechanic recommended replacing it. What is your mileage? Even outside your powertrain warranty it does not hurt to call Mazda USA for even partial coverage of new engine.

Unfortunately it’s half the top engine torn apart, the timing chain and cover too, fuel system and pretty much eveything on top. Which would be bloody expensive by US prices. And if it’s from overheating other parts may be toast too.

is it cx5 diesel by any chance?
That would be my guess and what my 2 questions were geared towards. I would say by listing 140k km (not miles) that it is obviously not USA and blown head gasket a "known issue" and "mazda is aware of it" would point towards the 2.2 diesel.

A head gasket issue is news to me and probably a lot of members here. Mazda knows it's a problem? Something doesn't sound right. Get another opinion.
I believe OP has a 2.2L diesel CX-5, and head gasket blown due to overheating without any warnings is a known issue. In fact, Mazda has stopped exporting diesel CX-5 to some countries even thought diesel is more popular than petrol engines in those countries.

I’ve seen reports from Taiwan and Australia that local Mazda is willing to replace the 2.2L diesel engine with overheating problem for free even if the CX-5 has out of warranty. So it won’t hurt OP should contact his/her local Mazda headquarter to seek some help for such repair.

The head gasket is an easy job...Accessing it is time consuming hence why the Mazda? Mechanic recommended replacing it. What is your mileage? Even outside your powertrain warranty it does not hurt to call Mazda USA for even partial coverage of new engine.
For blown head gasket problem due to overheating without warnings on 2.2L diesel CX-5, the standard procedure by Mazda is to replace the entire engine. The cylinder head usually cracked or warped, and sometimes even the upper cylinder block is damaged.

My 2015 CX-5 GT Petrol has recently had issues with a loud ticking noise under the bonnet requiring towing to a dealership in February. Two months later the same issue occurred, this time the car losing all power on a major roadway in Melbourne with no warning lights being illuminated. Mazda has had the vehicle nearing 3 weeks and the issue has now been escalated to head office. I have just received a quote to rebuild the engine for $25K, which seems ridiculous for a vehicle not even 6 years old (140,000km). Head office are claiming "lack of service" when I have followed the recommended scheduled dates from the dealership. I am now taking the matter to consumer affairs for advice. There has been some mention about a fault with the rocker arm, but no formal advice as to what has occurred. Anyone had the same issue or advice from Mazda? Whilst I understand fair wear and tear, not sure if I would have spent $43K on a vehicle that was a lemon in less than 6 years time.

I hope they cover it, but at your mileage I’d be very surprised if they do, especially if you have any significant gaps in your service records. Mfgs stick pretty closely to the contractual limits on their warranties rather than individual customer expectations of how long something should have lasted. They have some goodwill money, but it is limited. I’d never classify a vehicle that went 140k km as a “lemon”.

If the engine truly is gone, by far your most cost effective repair is to replace it with a used engine from a wreck. I would think this could be done for less than $5K. But whether the car is worth this investment is something to consider.

If the problem is just in the top end of the engine, I would think overhauling the head would only run $2K or so.

Good luck regardless. You never know.

- Mark

Last edited:
How can the dealer state $25K for rebuilding an engine? Sure $25K AUS is “just” $19.5K US, but that’s still crazy for a rebuild. Better to buy a brand new engine for that price, which is still outrageous.

Hi there, My 2015 Mazda CX5 2.2DE Akera AWD Auto was and is out of warranty and had a new engine fitted 2 years ago by a Mazda Dealership in South Africa and has done less than 6500 miles. The vehicle had a water leak late last year and the dealer said that they only replaced the engine block, cylinder head, injectors, turbo's after the engine failed following another Mazda dealers negligence. Their feedback is that the water pipes and water housing were not quoted/replaced on the original engine replacement as there was no visible defects on them and tested fine after the engine replacement in late 2019 the water leak that was attended to in late 2020 was due to a hairline crack along the water housing and that this crack could have developed overtime and is impossible to ascertain when or how the crack occurred. The vehicle was returned to them in March 2021 with no water in the radiator and check on vehicle smoking. After re-filling the cooling system and getting the vehicle up to operating temperature frothing/bubbles the coolant was observed and according to the dealer this could mean two things, either a blown Cylinder Head Gasket or the EGR Cooler could be leaking. The dealer requested authorisation to remove and pressure test the EGR Cooler as that would be the 1st place to start. The EGR Cooler did initially test ok by their Vender but the dealer wanted to do more testing to 100% eliminate the EGR Cooler, hence requested more time to do further testing. As explained we by-passed the EGR Cooler and swapped out another EGR Cooler and at both times the vehicle tested fine(no frothing/bubbles). For one final test we re-fitted your EGR Cooler and again the frothing/bubbles of your coolant could be observed and then based on this according to them, 100% confirmed that the EGR Cooler was indeed leaking and needed replacing. After the fitment of the new EGR Cooler the vehicle tested fine on idle and stopped smoking and only after the road test did the coolant push through the expansion bottle illustrating that not only was the EGR Cooler leaking but that there was now clear evidence that the Cylinder Head Gasket was also leaking and would need to be stripped to establish what the extent of the damage is. My argument is why was the water pipes not replaced when the engine was replaced and secondly how do you diagnose something and then suspect its that and them replace it and then the vehicle provides the same symptoms. As mentioned this engine was fitted in late 2019 and the vehicle drove less than 6500 miles following lockdown. I have received the quote to replace the EGR which in my opinion was never the issue and then a quote to strip and assess and fit new gasket or possibly a new cylinder head and worst case another engine. Any advice? I’m trying to establish what is Mazda’s guarantee on fitment of a new engine and also whether if this occurred on a vehicle which was under warranty, would Mazda replace all water hoses to avoid a pipe perishing so quickly on a Newley installed engine.

Hi there, My 2015 Mazda CX5 2.2DE Akera AWD Auto was and is out of warranty and had a new engine fitted 2 years ago by a Mazda Dealership in South Africa and has done less than 6500 miles. The vehicle had a water leak late last year and the dealer said that they only replaced the engine block, cylinder head, injectors, turbo's after the engine failed following another Mazda dealers negligence. Their feedback is that the water pipes and water housing were not quoted/replaced on the original engine replacement as there was no visible defects on them and tested fine after the engine replacement in late 2019 the water leak that was attended to in late 2020 was due to a hairline crack along the water housing and that this crack could have developed overtime and is impossible to ascertain when or how the crack occurred. The vehicle was returned to them in March 2021 with no water in the radiator and check on vehicle smoking. After re-filling the cooling system and getting the vehicle up to operating temperature frothing/bubbles the coolant was observed and according to the dealer this could mean two things, either a blown Cylinder Head Gasket or the EGR Cooler could be leaking. The dealer requested authorisation to remove and pressure test the EGR Cooler as that would be the 1st place to start. The EGR Cooler did initially test ok by their Vender but the dealer wanted to do more testing to 100% eliminate the EGR Cooler, hence requested more time to do further testing. As explained we by-passed the EGR Cooler and swapped out another EGR Cooler and at both times the vehicle tested fine(no frothing/bubbles). For one final test we re-fitted your EGR Cooler and again the frothing/bubbles of your coolant could be observed and then based on this according to them, 100% confirmed that the EGR Cooler was indeed leaking and needed replacing. After the fitment of the new EGR Cooler the vehicle tested fine on idle and stopped smoking and only after the road test did the coolant push through the expansion bottle illustrating that not only was the EGR Cooler leaking but that there was now clear evidence that the Cylinder Head Gasket was also leaking and would need to be stripped to establish what the extent of the damage is. My argument is why was the water pipes not replaced when the engine was replaced and secondly how do you diagnose something and then suspect its that and them replace it and then the vehicle provides the same symptoms. As mentioned this engine was fitted in late 2019 and the vehicle drove less than 6500 miles following lockdown. I have received the quote to replace the EGR which in my opinion was never the issue and then a quote to strip and assess and fit new gasket or possibly a new cylinder head and worst case another engine. Any advice? I’m trying to establish what is Mazda’s guarantee on fitment of a new engine and also whether if this occurred on a vehicle which was under warranty, would Mazda replace all water hoses to avoid a pipe perishing so quickly on a Newley installed engine.
Your 2.2L diesel apparently is having dreaded sudden overheating without any warnings problem. Unfortunately this’s a very common problem for Mazda’s SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel. Mazda provides life-time warranty with engine replacement in some countries (i.e. Taiwan) for such problem, but others may be left on your own. Mazda Japan hasn’t figured out the real cause of the issue as far as I know, and can only replace the entire engine when the problem occurs. In your case the first engine replacement apparently hadn’t been done correctly, and the problem re-occurred again in 6,500 miles. At this point you should contact Mazda headquarter in South Africa explaining the situation of yours, and reminding them this’s a design defect on 2.2L diesel as evidenced by recalls in many other countries.

Blown head gasket for CX-5 Diesel

yrwei52 thank you for your input. Is there an article published by Mazda International on the known defects as the dealer cannot explain how and what caused the issue? In this case i would expect Mazda South Africa to some the party and cover the repairs or replacement. I cannot understand how a brand-new fitted engine (complete) can blow a head gasket when there was no overheating reported and the car drove fine in COVid Lockdown on limited miles from Octber 2019 to November 2020 where it leaked with a hairline crack along the water housing which was replaced and drove limitted miles to March this year where it started smelling and using water. I am also trying to establish whether its Mazda's policy to replace all water pipes when doing a replacement (privately out of Mazda warranty) and if this is the case on vehicles within warranty. The EGR Cooler was suspected faulty and tested 100% by their contracted vendor. The experience is that they do not know what’s the issue and fault find at the customers expense replacing parts. This is not my experience with any VW's which we have owned or Nissans or Hondas. The replacement cost was R150 000 added the other work they had to do of R13 000 and another R10 000 for the water leak. The EGR replacement came to another R10 000 and since the car still has water issues not bubling into the water bottle the repairs quoted now for the possible blown head gasket strip and opossible rework is at R70 000 for replacement and worst case if the new block is faulty, they quote another R150 000 to replace the engine again ☹. We have owned the vehicle almost 3 years and with the repairs to date could have bought a newer preowned Mazda CX-5. This will be the last Mazda sadley.

Last edited:
yrwei52 thank you for your input. Is there an article published by Mazda International on the known defects as the dealer cannot explain how and what caused the issue? In this case i would expect Mazda South Africa to some the party and cover the repairs or replacement. I cannot understand how a brand-new fitted engine (complete) can blow a head gasket when there was no overheating reported and the car drove fine in COVid Lockdown on limited miles from Octber 2019 to November 2020 where it leaked with a hairline crack along the water housing which was replaced and drove limitted miles to March this year where it started smelling and using water. I am also trying to establish whether its Mazda's policy to replace all water pipes when doing a replacement (privately out of Mazda warranty) and if this is the case on vehicles within warranty. The EGR Cooler was suspected faulty and tested 100% by their contracted vendor. The experience is that they do not know what’s the issue and fault find at the customers expense replacing parts. This is not my experience with any VW's which we have owned or Nissans or Hondas. The replacement cost was R150 000 added the other work they had to do of R13 000 and another R10 000 for the water leak. The EGR replacement came to another R10 000 and since the car still has water issues not bubling into the water bottle the repairs quoted now for the possible blown head gasket strip and opossible rework is at R70 000 for replacement and worst case if the new block is faulty, they quote another R150 000 to replace the engine again ☹. We have owned the vehicle almost 3 years and with the repairs to date could have bought a newer preowned Mazda CX-5. This will be the last Mazda sadley.
Since Mazda was selling very few 2.2L diesels in the US, only for 2019 MY, and the information on diesel will be harder to find here. Here’re some info on sudden overheating problem and recalls in Taiwan and Australia, and there’re some more if you search harder.

Recalled for potential issues with diesel engines between 2012-2018

In Taiwan ROC Ministry calls for Mazda to respond to Safety Probe

US Diesel's big splash introduction

I personally would suggest to spend as less money as possible making the car runnable, i.e. finding a used engine to replace yours etc., if Mazda South Africa isn’t willing to do anything to help you, then get rid of your diesel CX-5 as soon as possible. Taking a loss is inevitable.

My 2015 CX-5 GT Petrol has recently had issues with a loud ticking noise under the bonnet requiring towing to a dealership in February. Two months later the same issue occurred, this time the car losing all power on a major roadway in Melbourne with no warning lights being illuminated. Mazda has had the vehicle nearing 3 weeks and the issue has now been escalated to head office. I have just received a quote to rebuild the engine for $25K, which seems ridiculous for a vehicle not even 6 years old (140,000km). Head office are claiming "lack of service" when I have followed the recommended scheduled dates from the dealership. I am now taking the matter to consumer affairs for advice. There has been some mention about a fault with the rocker arm, but no formal advice as to what has occurred. Anyone had the same issue or advice from Mazda? Whilst I understand fair wear and tear, not sure if I would have spent $43K on a vehicle that was a lemon in less than 6 years time.
So very devastating. I have a 2016 Diesel Sky Activ CX 5 and am currently going through the exact same issue. I bought the vehicle through Mazda second hand for $30,000. I've barely had a chance to drive the vehicle since purchase as I broke my leg. Problems started with random dash lights coming on then going out. Multiple trips to the mechanic showed no issues. However, this time I have coolant spray over the engine. The car has always been serviced and maintained. Currently has 138000 klms on it. Took the vehicle to Mazda and they have referred to head office. Apparently the head gasket is blown and they need to assess for other damage. At the time I dropped it off there were no warning lights and the car was running like a dream, except for the coolant spray. This appears to be a known issue with the cars and is being dealt with by Mazda in different ways depending on the country. Also, the lady at the local NSW dealership warned this is a very slow process and that she currently has another vehicle with the same problem that has been waiting on Mazda HQ since 11 Aug 2023. I am wondering what advice fair trading has given you?

So very devastating. I have a 2016 Diesel Sky Activ CX 5 and am currently going through the exact same issue. I bought the vehicle through Mazda second hand for $30,000. I've barely had a chance to drive the vehicle since purchase as I broke my leg. Problems started with random dash lights coming on then going out. Multiple trips to the mechanic showed no issues. However, this time I have coolant spray over the engine. The car has always been serviced and maintained. Currently has 138000 klms on it. Took the vehicle to Mazda and they have referred to head office. Apparently the head gasket is blown and they need to assess for other damage. At the time I dropped it off there were no warning lights and the car was running like a dream, except for the coolant spray. This appears to be a known issue with the cars and is being dealt with by Mazda in different ways depending on the country. Also, the lady at the local NSW dealership warned this is a very slow process and that she currently has another vehicle with the same problem that has been waiting on Mazda HQ since 11 Aug 2023. I am wondering what advice fair trading has given you?
Not much you can do for this SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel overheating problem without a warranty. You’re under the mercy of your local Mazda HQ but it’d cost too much money for them with so many cases and they won’t be easily to give you a new engine. The best scenario I’ve seen was a group of CX-5 diesel owners kept protesting the issue to the government in Taiwan and the government eventually agreed to force the Mazda Taiwan offers a lifetime warranty for the 2.2L diesel for having such sudden overheating problem. But the result is Mazda Taiwan simply stopped importing any diesel models even though the diesel is much more popular than the gas engine in Taiwan. Too expensive to cover the engine for lifetime on overheating, and IMO Mazda certainly doesn’t have too much confidence on longevity to its 2.2L diesel.

Back