2015 Grand Touring Mazda5 57,000 miles. In demand?

:
2015 Mazda5 Grand Touring
I'm thinking of trading my 2015 for a grandma car. I want the safety extras: rearview camera, lane assist, blindspot warning, braking..... I want an all all wheel drive. My 2015 has none of these safety extras so I'm starting to look around. I live near Durham, NC. We have a lot of Mazda5's here. I'm hoping that will increase the value of my car. In general, is there much of a demand for 2015 Mazda5's?

> We have a lot of Mazda5's here. I'm hoping that will increase the value of my car.

If you have a lot of supplies, why would that increase the value of the car?

Mazda discontinued the model for a reason. You may get $12k by selling yours to a private buyer, or not.

> We have a lot of Mazda5's here. I'm hoping that will increase the value of my car.

If you have a lot of supplies, why would that increase the value of the car?

Mazda discontinued the model for a reason. You may get $12k by selling yours to a private buyer, or not.
I have been stopped many times by people asking about my car. They see them puttering around town and are interested in the Mazda5. They are deflated when I tell them they aren't made anymore. The dealerships have been hounding me for a few years for mine. Sometimes people want what they can't have so when they get a chance to get it, they are willing to pay extra to get it. Sometimes...........

That is the funny thing about human emotion. They want popular cars so it is easier to find support (mechanics that are good at fixing them, parts that are readily available and inexpensive, etc). But they also want the uniqueness instead of getting a bland car. Dealership is going to make a killing (aka you lose) if you trade it in but the decision is yours.

Having the head unit replaced with a aftermarket one to support rear view camera and GPS is a good weekend project, and I found it useful. Perhaps that can be a less costly alternative?

I have been stopped many times by people asking about my car. They see them puttering around town and are interested in the Mazda5. They are deflated when I tell them they aren't made anymore. The dealerships have been hounding me for a few years for mine. Sometimes people want what they can't have so when they get a chance to get it, they are willing to pay extra to get it. Sometimes...........

anytime a dealer hounds you to buy your car it has nothing to do with wanting your car, and everything to do with wanting you to finance a new one with them.

I bought my ‘12 sport in 2014/15 with 20k miles for $12k. Granted you have a higher trim level than mine, but for Mazda that basically amounts to leather, heated turn signal mirrors, Bose, and HID headlights. With more than twice the mileage you certainly wouldn’t be looking for more than that, and probably much less.

The 5 is the ultimate compromise car, (people or stuff and not as much of either as other vehicles) and at this point most people will hit up a SUV or regular mini van for less with the same capabilities plus more space.

I loved our 5. They're outstanding vehicles that offer something nothing else offered at the time (ours was a 2006). I'm not quite sure there was anything like it in the States during the entirety of its production run here.

The fact that they're popular where you live is good in that it means people there want what the 5 offers. The fact that people ask you about yours frequently underscores that fact.

I'd guess you'll get more for yours in your area than others would get in other parts of the country. Don't know exactly what the means in terms of dollars.

Good luck!

Charlotte, NC here. They aren't worth much. People just ignore them when looking for a used car. I bought my 2010 a year ago because like everyone here knows...it's super versatile, very solid car and cheap. I paid $6k from a used car lot north of the city and probably could have gotten it cheaper (they had it for $7200). The car only really needed new shocks/struts and was bought for my teenage son to learn manual on.

Also...the Mazda5 IS a grandma car. My mom has a 2015!

Also...the Mazda5 IS a grandma car. My mom has a 2015!

It can also be a car for anyone with midlife crisis and need something that can have lots of cargo /seating space but still easy to park in the city. Or generally just a car easy to live with.

I was a bit surprised to learn that the 2nd gen Mazda 5 that I am driving is two inches longer than CR-V that my 80yr old mother is driving. Mazda 5 just has that smallish look.. it turned out that M 5 is pretty narrow (68in) comparing to CRV (71in).

Should this happen again, sell the car on the sport. Just be educated on KBB, Edmunds, Nada value but always be prepared to make a deal to get the most out of it. Otherwise, this car (Mazda in general) does not have high demand nor good resale value. Correlates to the high discount you got when you purchased it.

It can also be a car for anyone with midlife crisis and need something that can have lots of cargo /seating space but still easy to park in the city. Or generally just a car easy to live with.
if the solution to your midlife crisis is a Mazda 5, it's not a crisis. :)

I was a bit surprised to learn that the 2nd gen Mazda 5 that I am driving is two inches longer than CR-V that my 80yr old mother is driving. Mazda 5 just has that smallish look..
if the solution to your midlife crisis is a Mazda 5, it's not a crisis. :)

One of the things I always wanted to do once I am fed up with my life is to live in a car boodocking all over the US. Mazda 5 is the first step. So yeah while it is not a hardtop Miata or a 32ft-long RV, it should serve my purpose of escaping the mundane life just fine once I remove all seats and create a platform for shelving and bed inside the car.

I never paid any attention of the second-gen (in the USA) 5, so if it’s a grandma car then it’s extremely different from our first-gen. That was a brilliant young-family car for parents who wanted a bit of sportiness, or at least the lack of ridiculous land-barge-ness, with their supreme practicality.

I never paid any attention of the second-gen (in the USA) 5, so if it’s a grandma car then it’s extremely different from our first-gen. That was a brilliant young-family car for parents who wanted a bit of sportiness, or at least the lack of ridiculous land-barge-ness, with their supreme practicality.

I happen to have both and both generations feel the same to me. I do notice the first gen I drove had a strange brake feeling: If I step on the brake hard, and it happens that there is a pothole or even just unevenness on the road where the front wheels landed on, my foot felt like the brake mechanism hit something at the bottom of the car and my foot will go through the floor if I steppee on it any harder. It is a bit unsettling but such feeling was a lot less noticeable with the 2nd gen.

Perhaps it is just my car since I bought the first gen with 100k miles and 70k miles with the 2nd gen when I got it. Neither are new.

IMO, Mazda 5 is a niche car for very special demographics, like young families in highly populated urban areas. Having said that, I would consider targeting for the right audience for extracting max moneys.

I happen to have both and both generations feel the same to me. I do notice the first gen I drove had a strange brake feeling: If I step on the brake hard, and it happens that there is a pothole or even just unevenness on the road where the front wheels landed on, my foot felt like the brake mechanism hit something at the bottom of the car and my foot will go through the floor if I steppee on it any harder. It is a bit unsettling but such feeling was a lot less noticeable with the 2nd gen.
1st gens ABS module is failing. Post 22 explains what/why this is happening.

Last edited:
Back