2015 CX5 2.5 AWD Transmission took a dump

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Coolant was changed when engine was replaced, not sure of condition but it had been drain and filled at least once prior

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Just ordered a 2014 20k trans 742 shipped. About an hr north of the shop. Gonna call mazda about it but if they don't want to do anything with it I'll dismantle it for learning and to see what is obviously broke. Or I may try to sell it on the tuning pages for guys who might wanna convert their 3 to awd.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Don't forget 'abusively'.
This about cars, not your domestic life. Zing! Abuse; depends on who you ask I suppose. I perform regular maintenance and drive the car within the limits of the hardware capability. I do drive for highest performance output often. But I also fly 30 year old planes that are regularly flown at maximum performance and they still run with regular maintenance, and rarely have a catastrophic failure. Many of the factory replaced transmissions posted had 3x or 4x less than mine (~86,000 miles), probably driven very conservatively... and that's just what we know from what was reported here. Being fair, can't really say if the breakdown was product of use and mileage alone, or influenced by a mechanical defect. If I take it apart maybe I can find where the problem started. Regardless, heat is the big enemy of a transmission so I'm adding a cooler to keep my temps down.
21371150_10159207171175487_4545424021074499460_n.jpg

:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i
This about cars, not your domestic life. Zing! Abuse; depends on who you ask I suppose. I perform regular maintenance and drive the car within the limits of the hardware capability. I do drive for highest performance output often. But I also fly 30 year old planes that are regularly flown at maximum performance and they still run with regular maintenance, and rarely have a catastrophic failure. Many of the factory replaced transmissions posted had 3x or 4x less than mine (~86,000 miles), probably driven very conservatively... and that's just what we know from what was reported here. Being fair, can't really say if the breakdown was product of use and mileage alone, or influenced by a mechanical defect. If I take it apart maybe I can find where the problem started. Regardless, heat is the big enemy of a transmission so I'm adding a cooler to keep my temps down.
You do that; I'm sure it will help. Meanwhile, look at the bright side. You've only got the third member to go and you will have destroyed every major component in the drive train. I'm sure that must be a record of some sort!

GJ-Molestor

Banned
:
2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual
Don't forget 'abusively'.

Highly agree. Theres nothing wrong with operating a transmission within its physical limits if you really need to, but from day one abusing the transmission is exactly what causes it to fail in the long run.

The break in procedure is highly critical for the whole vehicle especially the engine and transmission. Failing to properly break-in your drivetrain during the early stages of your cars life increases the chances of drivetrain failure in the long term.

Last edited:

craigo

Contributor
:
2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring
86k for a dead transmission sucks but doesn't seem too far out of the ordinary. Wonder what the bell curve looks like on MTBF

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club ST MT white
21371150_10159207171175487_4545424021074499460_n.jpg

My understanding it that there are no external transmission lines, how will you connect the cooler?

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 GT AWD, '12 GX 460, '07 G35x
Contributor
:
'15 CX-5 GT AWD
He may be planning to add it in as a supplemental inline air-cooled ...plumbed into lines attached to existing "coolant" based cooler.