2015 CX-5 Muffler Exhaust Gasket - Leak

Hey all, been lurking for a while and learning a ton! I have a new to me 2015 CX-5 that was at the mechanic's this week and he said it has an exhaust leak at the gasket before the muffler. Is this an easy diy and does anyone have the part number? FWD model.

20210420_165452.jpg

While it should be a relatively easy DIY repair, the vehicle needs to be on a lift, jack stands or blocks to do it safely. A 6-year-old vehicle will likely have the two bolts badly corroded, plan on using socket or box wrenches, not open ended ones, and some penetrating oil. Also plan on replacing the bolts. Be certain to remove all the old gasket material, and sand the mating surfaces smooth before installing the gasket.

The guy at the Mazda parts counter will be able to get you the right parts.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I do have ramps in storage and a socket set, I think I'll start using the wd-40 on it now a few times to let it soak. Do I need to remove the muffler at all? Or can I just push it out of the way enough to get the new gasket in there while still attached.

Upvote 0
I can’t say if the muffler needs to be removed, you may be able to slip off the hangers on one side and push it back out of the way. To clean off the old gasket may require it to be removed, I just don’t know. I made a similar repair to an older Infiniti with a very similar exhaust, taking the muffler off was the hardest part of that job. WD-40 is your friend when slipping off the rubber hangers.

Upvote 0
I ended up having my mechanic do it for $60. I believe the gasket was invoiced for $18 or so and I didn't have time to get to it so it ended up working out. He couldn't get it to seal flat in the end as the muffler has a dent and one exhaust pipe isn't sitting flush so he replaced the gasket and siliconed as well.

Upvote 0
Ya done good. With the can of worms that exhaust work can evolve into, I'd spend $60 any day to someone with a lift, torch and other tools.

Upvote 0
Back