2015 CX-5, 105k miles. Is my transmission done?

What's your engine maintenance habits look like? Ever cleaned maf/throttle body? head cleaning? regular oil changes/ fuel system agents etc? Because power problems can cause jerking as well. some of these associated sensors are referenced by the tcm as well so an issue with one of them could affect it

I'd be leery of that small shop guy that said "something is broke" and then later says he will rebuild it.I'd be surprised if he has any experience rebuilding Skyactive transmissions.I haven't heard of anybody that rebuilds them.The dealers install rebuilds they get from Mazda.Some people get used trannys installed. -------- Anybody on this forum know if any outfits do a quality rebuild on Skyactiv transmissions?
Nope. Swap and replace.

If I were you, I would take it to a dealer I trust the most. Most likely, they will replace the ATF and see if that fixes the problem. If it is indeed the AT that needs a rebuilt one, you can call MazdaUSA to plead your case with them. They some split the cost with you.

If I were you, I would take it to a dealer I trust the most. Most likely, they will replace the ATF and see if that fixes the problem. If it is indeed the AT that needs a rebuilt one, you can call MazdaUSA to plead your case with them. They some split the cost with you.
Hmm, really? this is if I need a rebuilt one from the dealership?
I got word from the dealer and they want to put in a new transmission for $6500! A remanufactured one would still come out to $6k. What would I tell MazdaUSA to ask for help on this?

The dealer said there were no codes. They said they updated the transmission module and vehicle module software. All I keep hearing is new transmission.
I started reading on how some CX5's were going into "limp mode" which sounds very much like what happened to mine, and the fixes were just different sensors. Someone mentioned that jumping the battery the wrong way could also screw up the computer. I have to trust that the dealership actually checked for all these other sensors in their diagnostics because I don't have a way to prove they didn't.

You said you drove it all day then on the way home it started this, right off the freeway? Was it pretty hot?
I hope you checked the ATF, etc. Have you tried resetting the car's electrical system, since you think it could be computer related?
It's only 5 years old, pretty bad if it needs a transmission.

are you already out of the 5/60k powertrain warranty? call the dealer you bought it at, ask for the finance dept, and ask them what the terms of your extended warranty are

That stinks when *no one* will be specific as to what might be wrong. On the factory scan tool especially, they can watch live data on the TCM; see pressures, switch actuation, clutch behavior, can manually actuate solenoids, etc. Seems everyone you have taken it to does only the most cursory diagnosis before jumping to "replace transmission". Of course the dealer is going to be the most stupidly expensive place to have that work done.

Lkqonline.com or ebay (lkq sells on there too). Local shop charging 500-1k for installation. Or trade the car and take a hit worth more than the repair value.

I had the same issue with my 2014 Mazda CX 5. The certified mechanics at the dealership told me there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. When I tried to trade in vehicle at another Mazda dealership, I was informed by their certified mechanics, the SUV had issues and they were not interested in a trade. I eventually took my Mazda to a mechanic in my neighborhood and he found a bolt was loose on the engine mount. He fixed the problem and it stopped bucking.

The lesson of the story, not all Mazda dealerships have certified mechanics who stand by the vehicles and know what they are doing.

By they way, before my neighborhood mechanic discovered a loose bolt on engine mount, the Mazda dealership informed me the problem was the clutch system needed replacing. They allegedly installed a new clutch kit, which did not fix the bucking problem. Conclusion, I never needed a new clutch kit replacement. Again, lesson learned.

Last edited:
Hmm, really? this is if I need a rebuilt one from the dealership?
I got word from the dealer and they want to put in a new transmission for $6500! A remanufactured one would still come out to $6k. What would I tell MazdaUSA to ask for help on this?
Powertran coverage is 5yr/60K. Yours is a '15. Depending on how many miles on the odometer, if it is not more than 70K miles, I will definitely call MazdaUSA 1-800 number.

The more miles you got, the less chance MazdaUSA will help you out.

AKAIK, Mazda (like many others) don't put in new transmissions.

They are all rebuilt by Mazda.

Back