2014 CX-5 GT Fog light wired to be available all the time

:
2014 CX-5 GT
:
2019 CX-5 GT
Hey guys!

Im looking for a thread or some wiring information to be able to do this on my 2014 GT.

I found this thread for another vehicle (09 CX-9) but not sure if the wire colours would be the same:

Rewired Fogs to run without headlights on

If anyone is interested in a simple way (based on your wiring skills of course) to do this here goes:

(May have to have heated seats for this..)

On small (4 relay) box in very front of engine compartment above fans.
Open top of box, detach from front, and remove bottom cover. Of the four relays, the two SMALLER ones are: fogs (right one viewed from front) and heated seats (2nd from left viewed from front). The pink wire on the SEAT relay provides ignition power (what you want) the green w/red wire on the Fogs relay provides switched power from the headlight relay ( Hate that!). I cut the green wire far enough back that I could splice into the pink wire. Be sure to insulate the left over stub from the green wire. Now the fog relay is "hot" when ignition is on instead of when headlights are on. Done.

(If you don't have the pink wire due to no heated seats..all you need to do is get and ignition source wire to this relay instead)

Now your fogs will come on with ignition and still function on/off from the stock switch (which provides the relay ground thus eliminating the need for an add-on switch)

If anyone was interested in doing this mod themselves I eventually figured out how to do it myself.

This brown wire from the indicator/light stalk can be cut and re-wired through the firewall straight to pin 86 on the Fog light relay in the engine bay (I bent the pin to connect a spade connector, the original connection needs to be cut to take the BCM out of the equation). This is the most simple way to achieve this mod. Your fog lights are now ALWAYS available by using the stock switch.

You can also wire in a relay with ACC power so your fogs will not be available when the car is off. The wire going to pin 86 needs to be ground though.

Its pretty straightforward but if anyone wants photos let me know!

cx5 fog wiring.jpg

I just bought a 2016.5 and was hoping to find this mod.
Can you provide some additional pics?
Specifically how the wire is connected to the relay and maybe where you fed the wire through the firewall.

Thanks!

I just bought a 2016.5 and was hoping to find this mod.
Can you provide some additional pics?
Specifically how the wire is connected to the relay and maybe where you fed the wire through the firewall.

Thanks!

I fed the wire through the main wiring grommet that is located behind your brake/gas pedals. Quite easy though you'll likely need to remove the battery to get access from the engine bay side.

For the relay in the fuse box i just bent pin 86 to a 90 degree angle and attached a spade connector, it sits a little higher than normally but all the remaining pins still make good contact.

So does this still only

Does this still only come on when you turn on the park/main headlight? Also is 2ab the BCM?

The way that I wired it I can use my fog lights whenever I like, even if the car is off. The wire that we are cutting leads to the BCM which is what cuts the power to the fogs when high beams come on, which is the main reason I wanted to do this mod.

Back