2014 "Bluetooth audio device error", also problem with USB audio

jdaun

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
First time poster, just purchased a 2014 CX-5 GT. Love it so far! But hoping for help with some audio issues.
I purchased this vehicle used from a dealer, and they said they replaced the head unit because the CD player was broken.
So I'm disappointed to be experiencing these issues.

Bluetooth:
I'm able to successfully pair 2 different android phones (Moto X2 and Moto X Pure) but I can't get audio to play over bluetooth.
Both phones behave the same ... after pairing, it loads my phone contact list and messages, that part goes smoothly.
However for audio, I get a message saying "Reading Bluetooth audio device" (or something to that effect).
Then after a moment, it displays "Bluetooth audio device error". That's as far as I can get.
A google search for this exact error message turns up, literally, nothing.
Image of error message here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/YoFd2XimbDIuBIz62

USB:
I can't get USB audio to work at all.
I insert an 8GB FAT32 thumb drive containing 10 mp3 files in the root directory.
The LED on the thumb drive flashes, so the USB port has some power.
But the "USB" tab/button on the CX-5 touchscreen remains greyed-out.
It's as if it doesn't see the thumb drive at all, there's no error message or anything.

Any help with either issue appreciated!

I tried a couple things, none of which had any affect:

1) I pulled the 2 audio fuses under the hood, to fully reset the audio system.
2) Removed the glovebox to access the bluetooth module, and unplugged/replugged the module.
3) I went into diagnostics, and determined that the bluetooth version is 06.01.0000 ... so it's an old version. https://photos.app.goo.gl/IzChmbPm2OlqzR3C3
4) I emailed the Mazda handsfree group, they requested more info about my phones, and are directing me to a dealer service center for the USB issue.

My understanding is that there was a TSB put out by Mazda to update the bluetooth module to a higher version, to fix certain USB issues. My issues don't match the issues documented in that TSB (my issues are worse) but they seem like they could be related. I wonder if I could get Mazda to update my module for free under that TSB.

Any help is appreciated!

Back