2014 / 2016.5 OEM headunit swap

rodut

2014 CX-5
Recently bought a 2014 CX-5 Touring. I'm really enjoying it so far. However, the one thing that's a little bit annoying is the headunit. The Bluetooth is pretty painful to use.

I saw there's a TSB for the Bluetooth module, but my local dealership quoted me $1200 to get it swapped.

Rather than going the 3rd party route, I'm wondering if I can find a cheap used 2016.5 CX-5 OEM headunit and do a simple swap (partly for simplicity of installation, partly for not losing some of the functions like lock and light settings).

Has anybody attempted this? A quick search of the forums and Google didn't yield any results, but maybe I'm just missing the right search terms.

Is there something that would prevent this from being done and that's why I can't find anything?

I had that recall done on my '15. The bluetooth module is behind the glovebox and not part of the radio. Try to get a part number for the updated one and search salvage yards. Ebay has some, too.

Upvote 0
You said you didn't want to go aftermarket, but seriously, do yourself a huge favor, pick up an Android Auto head unit. I have a Kenwood DDX8905S, and I love it. It even gives me real gauges.

Attachments

• IMG_20201209_162404218_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201209_162404218_HDR.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0
A cheap solution is buy a Bluetooth adapter, and connect to the aux. You will have better sound than the original BT in the head unit.

Upvote 0
Back